TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isnt clear in the manual. Upper bolt lower screw?
Allen screw 5.1 ? The one for draining
hex bolt 7.2 ? The other two bolts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
This isnt clear in the manual. ...
Not only is it not clear, it is JUST PLAIN WRONG!!!! These numbers have resulted in many members stripping the oil filter cover bolts over the years, including me, and I used a torque wrench carefully from day 1!

Use a value of 4 at the most for the three bolts on the cover, and since no foot pound wrench will go anywhere near that low, use 48 inch/pounds on a 1/4 inch drive click type torque wrench. It's really just as easy to use an Allen wrench and an 8mm socket. I put my thumb on the socket or the small side of the Allen wrench and ONLY 2 fingers choked up about 2 inches out on the handle. I can't really exceed about 50 inch pounds without changing my grip from that.

As far as the weep bolt on the head, NEVER use anything but a large Phillips screwdriver with one hand gripped moderately. That bolt won't even take 25 inch/pounds repeatedly.

Normally I am a big fan of good quality torque wrenches used correctly, but in these two cases on the TW, I have ended up using my hand. Now, in an effort to not strip these bolts, it is all too easy to go too far in the opposite direction and end up having the bolt back out. If it is the weep bolt and you are not wearing shorts you will pump all the oil out of the engine and destroy it in about two minutes, like Admiral found out the hard way. Check the weep bolt after every ride until you have not felt it loosen for at least ten rides. Check the filter cover for weepage as well, easier to see and not as critical. Just quickly wiping the sides of the engine after every ride will alert you to any oil leakage, until you are sure nothing is getting loose.

I have used the above values for two years and 2,000 miles and so far nothing has come loose between oil changes.

Edit: I just finished replacing the front sprocket, and since the torque values for the left side case are the same as the oil filter cover ALLEN BOLT, 5.1 ft./lbs. or 61 inch/lbs., I decided to check the un-torque figure. Although this is not recommended practice, it will still give you some idea of what was last used as a tightening value. I found all except one or two of the case screws loosened around 70 inch/lbs. This is 7,000 miles after they were last torqued.

I also changed the oil and cleaned the filter, and these also broke loose around 70 inch/lbs.

So therefore I have changed the value I will use on all these bolts to 61 inch/lbs., which is a little bit more than the 48 figure I used above form memory. WHY on earth the manual says to use 7.2 ft./lbs, or 86 inch/lbs. on the two 8 mm hex bolts on the filter cover is beyond my understanding. THOSE are the bolts that get their heads twisted off, NOT the Allen bolt!

Bottom line: use 61 inch/lbs. for ALL side cover bolts and ALL oil filter cover bolts!! The advice on the oil pressure check bolt is still valid.

Mea Culpa: After TWO successful left side case removals and re-assembles in the last five years, this time I managed to crush and cut the ignition wires in spite of careful guiding of those wires into the slot during re-assembly......No start. The ignition wire bundle had escaped the slot just before putting the bolts back in and I didn't triple check it. Now, with the engine full of fresh oil, I had to lay it on its side, remove the case, solder the wires, heat shrink them and re-assemble.....dinner was almost two hours late....:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a valve set and oil change using the feel method lol. Bike has 1000kms on it now and put in Motul 7100 and bike shifts so much better now. Motul now for the life of the machine at 1000 kms intervals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts