TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha TW200, 2021 CRF300L Rally, 2021 Ford Bronco
13 Posts
Torque limiting, yes. But unless it is some high end dealership / race car they do not precisely torque lugnuts, Different cars / models have different values and they do not reset for every one. Rattle guns normally have adjustable ranges and overtightening has as many pitfalls as under tightening. Still I stand by my assertion that just because a fastener has a certain torque specification does not mean that it must be followed precisely.
i work as a Mechanic at a shop that also has a tire side. The tire guys torque every wheel to spec. They do not have to adjust torque on the wrench, they have a setup on the wall with 10 torque wrenches set to different torques by the manufacture, that gets calibrated regularly. They also have a chart on the wall with all the different vehicle torque data. First they run them up with a torque limiting socket, then when its back on the ground, they use the torque wrench of the correct torque. Its a very good system. Although Mistakes still happen in every industry

·
Registered
1999 TW200
72 Posts
i work as a Mechanic at a shop that also has a tire side. The tire guys torque every wheel to spec. They do not have to adjust torque on the wrench, they have a setup on the wall with 10 torque wrenches set to different torques by the manufacture, that gets calibrated regularly. They also have a chart on the wall with all the different vehicle torque data. First they run them up with a torque limiting socket, then when its back on the ground, they use the torque wrench of the correct torque. Its a very good system. Although Mistakes still happen in every industry
There are exceptions to every rule. I can and have gone to major name brand tire shops around me and none of them torque to specs.

·
Registered
2019 TW 200, 2004 XT225, 2005 XT225,2022 KLX140L
62 Posts
Different bike, she fell, my bolt busted off.

Thanks! We had a blast. I've been super busy with work so we didn't get to do much this summer, next year should have a good bit more trail riding mixed in. Top and bottom pics are Cordova pass, middle pic is hwy 13 out of Pickett Wire.
I thought your pics looked like a familiar area, Been up there a time or two, since it is only a couple of hours away. Btw. I used a torque wrench on those same bolts only once and spec seemed way to tight. I simply do it by feel and have not had any issues as of yet.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts