TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Moto/ TW owner...I need some simple advice on changing the oil and other common fluids on a 92' TW200 with 20k mi. with no idea of service history.

1.Some say change/ clean and reuse the filter...Brand? Online? Local parts house or dealer?
2. do I need to replace the O-ring/s?
3. Synthetic?
4. is there a kit that has everything needed?
5. spark plug?
6. what other critical fluids should I check?

·
Banned
1,982 Posts
1. Clean the filter...no need to replace it yet. However, when you decide you want to replace it, go with HiFlo HF143 or the KN143...both fine filters.
2. O-rings can be re-used as long as they don't leak. Do NOT overtighten if they weep...you're just setting yourself up for some misery down the road.
3. Absolutely....some will say it is not necessary but I run nothing but synthetic in ALL my IC engines.
4. I believe ProCycle sells an "oil-change kit" but you could probably source individual parts for cheaper. Check out a local machine shop for Viton, Butyl or PTFE O-Rings.
5. One.........NGK Iridium will last for MANY years.
6. Blinker fluid... ;)

I replace brake fluid every second year...you should replace fork fluid as often, if not more often...keep your battery topped up with water if it is that type....clean and lube the chain at least every 3rd or 4th ride.
If you have no service history, then replenish ALL fluids, so that you have a baseline to work from...I do this with EVERY vehicle I purchase, regardless of what the seller tells me.

For HOW-TO's...check that section of this forum, or check out TDubsKid on Youtube.

·
Banned
1,982 Posts
Rather than read a description, I find it's easier to watch someone else do it....

Do NOT use a torque wrench to tighten the drain plug OR the filter screws...more grief down the road if you do. Tighten the drain plug enough so that it won't vibrate loose....maybe a bit of anti-seize on the threads only.
Filter bolts should be snug-tightened with a 1/4" drive socket. The o-rings are doing the sealing...not the bolts. Again, it is a good idea to use some anti-seize on the threads only.

NGK DR8EIX is the spark-plug you want.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Regular Dino 10W40 for the first 1500 miles, then full synthetic 10W40. I Many of us like Mobil1 Racing 4T. Of course you can use Dino for the life of the engine, but the gearbox and clutch will be smoother with full synthetic.

My brake fluid and fork fluid intervals are much longer than TW in BC, about 5-6 years. but I live in a very dry climate...kinda like Austin. I put in an Iridium plug at the outset; it will probably last 10 years.

·
Banned
1,982 Posts
I believe WalMart has the Mobil 4T oil.
As for the battery, you'd have to check their sizing chart...I know that Mighty Max makes one for the TW because I was going to buy one many years ago.
Went with a Lithium battery instead - better choice!

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
1. Clean the filter...no need to replace it yet. However, when you decide you want to replace it, go with HiFlo HF143 or the KN143...both fine filters.
2. O-rings can be re-used as long as they don't leak. Do NOT overtighten if they weep...you're just setting yourself up for some misery down the road.
3. Absolutely....some will say it is not necessary but I run nothing but synthetic in ALL my IC engines.
4. I believe ProCycle sells an "oil-change kit" but you could probably source individual parts for cheaper. Check out a local machine shop for Viton, Butyl or PTFE O-Rings.
5. One.........NGK Iridium will last for MANY years.
6. Blinker fluid... ;)

I replace brake fluid every second year...you should replace fork fluid as often, if not more often...keep your battery topped up with water if it is that type....clean and lube the chain at least every 3rd or 4th ride.
If you have no service history, then replenish ALL fluids, so that you have a baseline to work from...I do this with EVERY vehicle I purchase, regardless of what the seller tells me.

For HOW-TO's...check that section of this forum, or check out TDubsKid on Youtube.

I never change the brake fluid on my 1993.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
My recommendation is to have 2 of the mesh oil filters with the proper holes in them. I just swap one out and do my oil change. In a couple of days when I feel like it I can go and clean the dirty oil filter, let it dry then put it back into storage for the next oil change.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
When I first acquired my TW, I immediately changed the oil and replaced the filter. This also means that I, unfortunately, discarded the factory mesh-type oil filter. Does anyone happen to know the factory part number for the mesh filter?

·
Registered
95 Posts
When I first acquired my TW, I immediately changed the oil and replaced the filter. This also means that I, unfortunately, discarded the factory mesh-type oil filter. Does anyone happen to know the factory part number for the mesh filter?
There is only mesh ones available for the TW. If you have a paper one it is not correct and you risk damage to the top end as it likely does not have the holes for the top end lube

·
Banned
1,982 Posts
For a 2001 it's 5H0-13440-09-00 should be the same for your 87.
IMHO the HF143 is a superior replacement for the OEM....it has a pleated body and therefore has more filter area. Same can be said for the KN143.

·
Registered
95 Posts
For a 2001 it's 5H0-13440-09-00 should be the same for your 87.
IMHO the HF143 is a superior replacement for the OEM....it has a pleated body and therefore has more filter area. Same can be said for the KN143.

The yamaha one is pleated as well. for some reason the one that is in the bike from new is not but the replacement one is

1 - 20 of 34 Posts