TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I need some advice please. I bought a TW200 from a friend not sure of year. The gasket at the dino leaked so I got a new one and fixed it up this morning. Cleaned the filters and drained the old oil. I then filled with the 1liter of oil and went for a drive. Coming home I checked and saw the oil level has droped below the sight glass. Opened the air filter and the oil just poured out. About the 1liter I put in Came out. What can be the cause of this?

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

Usually this means blow by. You may need to do a leak down test to see if the rings are ok. When it is running, if you open the oil fill cap, does it smoke out of the crankcase? Hard to imagine a whole liter of oil coming out on one ride. Pull off the crankcase hose going into the crankcase also and see if there is smoke. What year and how many miles? Look for the VIN number and year on the frame near the top and front of the bike. (under steering lock on left side)

Guys I need some advice please. I bought a TW200 from a friend not sure of year. The gasket at the dino leaked so I got a new one and fixed it up this morning. Cleaned the filters and drained the old oil. I then filled with the 1liter of oil and went for a drive. Coming home I checked and saw the oil level has droped below the sight glass. Opened the air filter and the oil just poured out. About the 1liter I put in Came out. What can be the cause of this?

Reactions: Peterb and Ken

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tommy, I'll have a look on that. And send the VIN Number monday. The clock is on 54000km. And not running, the cable is missing

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
......... The gasket at the dino leaked ........?
?????

Oil in the airbox/ air filter is caused by an overfilled crankcase....can't imagine a whole liter of oil coming out.

Would like to know the cause myself, when you find out.

jb

Reactions: Ken and littletommy

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I would suggest draining out all the oil, cleaning the oil filter and refilling it before trying again. Put in only one liter again.

***Note that the bike is filled sufficiently when the oil is between the lines on the glass and it is to be checked when the bike is held up level, not on the kickstand, or you will be overfilling it.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
He still posts on here. Maybe he’ll give an update.

I agree it left me hanging. Cheers

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
?????

Oil in the airbox/ air filter is caused by an overfilled crankcase....can't imagine a whole liter of oil coming out.

Would like to know the cause myself, when you find out.

jb
A TW holds barely over a quart. If you put a whole litre of oil there's your problem. Too much oil pressure from too much oil will blow it out of the crank case somewhere. Usually through the vent pipe into where your air filter is and if it is a small amount will normally collect in the little clear rubber oil catch under the air filter. If it is a lot it may fill up your airbox with oil and make it smoke.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
A liter is actually the correct amount to put in a TW. A TW calls for 1000 cc's which is 33.814 ounces, one liter just happens to be 33.814 ounces.
A TW holds barely over a quart. If you put a whole litre of oil there's your problem. Too much oil pressure from too much oil will blow it out of the crank case somewhere. Usually through the vent pipe into where your air filter is and if it is a small amount will normally collect in the little clear rubber oil catch under the air filter. If it is a lot it may fill up your airbox with oil and make it smoke.

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
But the arrows don't tell us how much oil to put in if we have an aftermarket oil cooler.:p
Do we add a little extra so that in operation the full oil cooler and connecting lines leave enough oil in the sump for adequate pump pick-up and splash lubrification?

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
My mistake, I guess I was thinking of a 2 litre bottle. That should not blow any oil out .
You have now used up your quota for the month of February...no more allowed until March!:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Morning gents, sorry I was on night shift the whole weekend and just got home. I refilled the oil to the mark between the lines and started, opened the fill plug and found that there is a lot of compression. Can this be the rings? Piston comression is still good. It started on the second kick. And idle smooth.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Is it leaking now? It's normal for you to feel air coming out if the oil fill hole if you have the cap out, don't worry about it. How's the air filter? It should be clean, lightly oiled. Squeeze as much oil out of it aas you can get, it only needs to have a very fine amount of oil on it to work correctly.
Morning gents, sorry I was on night shift the whole weekend and just got home. I refilled the oil to the mark between the lines and started, opened the fill plug and found that there is a lot of compression. Can this be the rings? Piston comression is still good. It started on the second kick. And idle smooth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Tommy, I drained the oil and made a new gasket for the magneto couver. I'll drive a bit and check again. Keep you posted

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Bummer. I think your next step would be a leak down test to determine if it is the valves or rings. That oil looks dirty. Have you completely drained the oil and cleaned the filter?
Well, there is the oil in the air filter again. I,ve put about 800ml in and ther is all of it again

1 - 20 of 33 Posts