TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, trying to do some fixes on my own so i don't have to pay the shop. are the clutch cover and generator cover the same thing? i have an oil leak from there and thinking i just need to replace the gasket. pretty easy fix for a somewhat handy person, yeah? just getting confused cause everyone calls it the generator cover, but when searching for the gasket, the only thing available is the clutch cover gasket. any guidance is appreciated. i can post photos if needed. thx!

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you are sitting on the bike, the generator cover is on the left side of the engine and the clutch cover is on the right side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ah, so it is the generator cover, but why can't i find a generator cover gasket? do they not have one? or do you have any recommendations on how to fix that particular leak? thx!

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Exam the left side very closely and find exactly where the oil is coming from. The output shaft has seals at both ends and they can wear out and leak. The shift shaft has a seal and can leak. The neutral safety switch can also fail and spring a leak. And of course the left side cover gasket can leak too. Make sure it is not the cylinder base gasket leaking and flowing down.

And another cause is if you just oiled the chain it can fling oil up under the cover and look like a leak.....I just put this in here for completion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great info. gonna clean er up and see exactly where the leak is. i'll post pics. thanks very much!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts