TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an oil leak on the left side crankcase cover. I have replaced the gasket twice. I also replaced the shift shaft seal, the transmission shaft seal, and the outer transmission support bearing and seal, and it still leaks! I am unable to determine where the leak is coming from visually. And yes, my gasket surfaces were clean. Any ideas where to start?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
My tappet covers (valve covers) were leaking and it ran down the left side of my bike when on the side stand. It frustrated the heck out of me.

Start with a clean and dry bike and throw on some baby powder onto the left side of the bike and up towards the cylinder head. The powder will stick to the oil and show you where the oil is coming from.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My tappet covers (valve covers) were leaking and it ran down the left side of my bike when on the side stand. It frustrated the heck out of me.

Start with a clean and dry bike and throw on some baby powder onto the left side of the bike and up towards the cylinder head. The powder will stick to the oil and show you where the oil is coming from.
It is coming out of the lower crankcase. The problem is that when it is ridden, the oil spreads, so even if you could see all the points it could leak, you can't tell where its coming from.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
Check the neutral light switch. It is down where all the seals you named are, about 2 o'clock from the drain plug, IIRC. The center post gets loose and it oozes oil.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I was thinking of suggesting putting some tracer dye in engine oil but not sure if that would stain oil level window.....

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Just a guess?.....the manual shows a particular sequence in which the case screws/bolts should be tightened and proper torque value.....is this a possibility?.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
My second TW was leaking oil. I replaced gaskets and seals as you did and it leaked less but still leaked. I took it apart one more time and found oil on the neutral light switch. I changed it and it hasn't leaked a drop since.

Here is a picture of what it looks like. Red arrows point to where it was leaking from. You might be able to inspect it if you lean the bike to the right and look up under the cover with a flashlight. It is worth a try.

BTW, it cost about $30.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check the neutral light switch. It is down where all the seals you named are, about 2 o'clock from the drain plug, IIRC. The center post gets loose and it oozes oil.
Thanks, I forgot to mention that I replaced the sealing gasket on the neutral switch but this weekend I will crank it and let it run to see if the neutral switch is leaking.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a guess?.....the manual shows a particular sequence in which the case screws/bolts should be tightened and proper torque value.....is this a possibility?.
I actually torqued the screws. This TW has been leaking for two years so I have done it by the book! My other TW never leaks. I really think it may be the neutral switch because I noticed when I put it back together, it didn't start leaking until the engine was warm.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am just curious, was it the neutral switch?
I got a chance to check it yesterday and was unable to determine if it was leaking or not. I cleaned the oil off of the switch and other parts with brake cleaner. It was still leaking but I'm hopeful it will have leaked enough today so I can be certain. My son-in-law will be here today, (young eyes) and I will have him look at it. The switch is difficult to see. I will post the results.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am just curious, was it the neutral switch?
I still can't verify it is the switch. I think it is, as the oil is coming from that area. I just ordered the neutral safety switch from Cheap Cycle Parts as I don't feel it can be anything else. We'll see once I install.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Long ago in my Harley days a guy I worked with gave me crap about oil leaks from my scooter. So I, being the ahole I can be, I started squirting oil under his 750 Virago, it drove him crazy trying to find the leak. That was the good S**t. Any chance your being jacked with:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Drum roll please. I took the crankcase side cover a few minutes ago and the neutral safety switch is leaking. Thanks for the help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts