TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently developed a leak on the shifter side of the bike. I just changed the cam cover o-ring, the valve cover o-ring and they are not leaking. The oil appears to be coming out of the long head bolt near the front of the engine. It looks like it is seeping out the top. The oil is going down covering the front left corner of the engine and the starter. I put all new gaskets at 42,000 miles, including a new head gasket. I am leaning towards a possible loosen and retorque the head as a fix. Any other ideas about a hidden o-ring or anything?

·
Registered
13,561 Posts
I recently developed a leak on the shifter side of the bike. I just changed the cam cover o-ring, the valve cover o-ring and they are not leaking. The oil appears to be coming out of the long head bolt near the front of the engine. It looks like it is seeping out the top. The oil is going down covering the front left corner of the engine and the starter. I put all new gaskets at 42,000 miles, including a new head gasket. I am leaning towards a possible loosen and retorque the head as a fix. Any other ideas about a hidden o-ring or anything?
Picture?

·
Registered
19,816 Posts
Me think Ken has identified the source and a re-torqueing of head bolts just might solve the leak.

·
Registered
7,059 Posts
Oil goes up the right rear head bolt to lube the camshaft etc. on top of the head. I am not sure what oil would be doing in the left front head bolt but then re torquing is such a simple quick task I say go for it and see if it solves your problem.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. It looks like retorquing is my plan. I didn't have time for pics today. I had some family in so I have been out visiting. I took another bike for the day. The TW just made a quick trip to the store. I cleaned the engine the other day to try and find the leak so pics won't show the leak other than the location. I'll try for a couple of pics tomorow.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've found the head bolts like a re-torque a few hundred miles after re-assembly of the top end. I initially torqued them with a digital wrench and maybe 200 miles later they all took another 1/2 turn or so to get back to the spec torque.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Issue resolved: I loosened up and torqued my head bolts back down and it did stop my oil leak. The cam cover gets a lot of oil so even though it already had a new o-ring I put some silicone grease on the new o-ring as insurance. I put powder in the area where it had been leaking and it just blew off since there was no oil coming out. Good news. Now it's time for my steering head bearings as the next project.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ken,

Is there a number stamped on the new bearings you are installing?

Thanks,
Marty

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ken,

Is there a number stamped on the new bearings you are installing?

Thanks,
Marty
I ordered mine through Amazon.com (Longhorn Moto). There are several numbers on the packaging, Mine are QuadBoss number 416226 on the box. One sku on the package is 22-1008 while the sku from the vendor is TR41-6226. It appears the numbers on the actual bearings are 99-3514 and 99-3515. The whole kit cost me $34.89 which includes the bearings and the seals. These are the tapered stem bearings. Check out the forum for other options as well. I installed tapered steering stem bearings on another bike and it was a great upgrade.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I ordered mine through Amazon.com (Longhorn Moto). There are several numbers on the packaging, Mine are QuadBoss number 416226 on the box. One sku on the package is 22-1008 while the sku from the vendor is TR41-6226. It appears the numbers on the actual bearings are 99-3514 and 99-3515. The whole kit cost me $34.89 which includes the bearings and the seals. These are the tapered stem bearings. Check out the forum for other options as well. I installed tapered steering stem bearings on another bike and it was a great upgrade.
Thanks for the info, Ken!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm busy fixing my TW engine and I also have the dreaded bottom leak on the cylinder. I heard on YouTube that the base gasket from the 2010 on model is a better one but my local dealer said that the number does not supersede after 2010. I'm waiting on my Christmas bonus to buy the parts as they are a bit pricey (+- ZAR3000.00). I also saw that the aluminium "bush" on the cam can be replaced by 6005 bearing and I'll be doing that mod at the same time.

Cant wait to enjoy the summer time on the TW and can take the forest roads to work when all the inlanders come to the coast for the summer:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts