TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been going through this bike pretty extensively and after a couple oil changes new filters o-rings and just some cleaning up I’ve notice when I checked the new spark plug I put in last week I notice a small amount of oil on the tip of the plug. The bike has no leaks anywhere else, getting clean oil out of the head screw up top when loosened, bike fires right up every time, and runs smooth. It only has 4000 miles on it and being an 89 it has been sitting more than riding obviously. Any ideas on what the cause? Or how to fix this? Thinking of head gaskets, worn cylinder rings? I’m not sure. Newbie here. Any help is appreciated! Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
The most likely cause is worn or rusted rings. A photo of the tip of the plug would help us diagnose. Any smoke from the exhaust? The other possibility is worn valve guides that let oil past the valve stems. Sitting that much indicates a high probability of rusted rings. If it isn't too bad continued running may eventually clean/unstick them. I would log your oil consumption at 500 mile intervals....it should be virtually zero. A bad head gasket would not have any effect on oil on the plug but would effect compression. Do a compression check.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
What does the rest of the plug look like? Is it the proper heat range plug?
How many miles have you put on it since the new plug and what type of riding?
Or, I should ask, have you ridden enough to notice if it is using any oil yet?

If compression feels fine, and it sat for a long time, it is possible you may have a stuck oil ring.
Keep an eye on the oil level and ride the thing for a spell.

Hopefully someone with more experience with this matter will chime in soon.

Marty

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Oops, sorry Rocky, one who is a much quicker thinker and faster at the keyboard than I.

Marty

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s the standard plug for the TW picked up at the local Yamaha dealer. No smoke or colored exhaust when running, I’ve only put on maybe 10 miles with this plug just being winter time it’s hard to get out and put some good mileage on. Oil in it still full in the eye and looks clean. I went and rode it for a few miles up and down the mile block and got it nice and hot, the picture of the plug is after that.

·
Super Moderator
5,859 Posts
Plug looks fine –if there was oil it would be all over, not just on the tip - any chance it could have come into contact with the screw threads as you removed it ? ……

·
Registered
351 Posts
Looks like there was plenty of anti-seize on on the threads
Some Anti-seizes are oiler than others.
If that’s a word.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I forgot to mention the first plug I took out of it had more “oil” on the tip and the threads. Which didn’t worry me at the time because it had been sitting for so long, to me it seemed like oil. I wanted to try and see if I could replicate it, but this one isn’t near as bad as the first which is a good sign. I’ll keep riding it and see what I find. I appreciate the info! Really do! Definitely learning a lot here.. hopefully someday I’ll know what I’m doing 😂 I’ll attach a picture of the old plug that came with the bike.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Make sure you have the crush ring installed, if you haven’t already.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts