TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought 2014 TW. During my routine checking things over when I got home inspection, I noticed a mist of oil on the crankcase. Went to adjust pilot screw and noticed a drop of oil on carb (screw was already adjusted 2.5 out). Cleaned dirty air filter (clogged with dust).

...then, I checked the oil level. The sight window was completely dark. I tipped TW over to the left (way over) and I finally could see it was overfilled with oil.

I drained this much oil out to get it back within the top mark of the oil level sight window. I don't have an exact measurement, maybe 1/2 quart but you can see it's way too much oil.

TW is all better now.

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
If engine had been run with that much oil and the crank had not whipped oil into a milky slurry froth then it speaks well for the versatility of the engine design. If so then it is a reassurance to those whose TWs tend to suck a bit of oil during sustained highway cruising and worry about over-filling. I have cautiously overfilled my crankcase prior to such extended highway runs, but only by a little bit. Nice to know.

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If engine had been run with that much oil and the crank had not whipped oil into a milky slurry froth then it speaks well for the versatility of the engine design. If so then it is a reassurance to those whose TWs tend to suck a bit of oil during sustained highway cruising and worry about over-filling. I have cautiously overfilled my crankcase prior to such extended highway runs, but only by a little bit. Nice to know.
Yup, not whipped up. After I drained the amount needed to bring it in compliance, I treated it like an oil change and bled the oil out of the oil galley bolt just to make sure there was no cavitation and what not!

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And with that dark oil you didn't change it???? :eek: How many miles on it?

Oh, ANOTHER TW??? :p
Oh, it will be changed. I might even buy a new filter. Bwahaha. 1,350 miles when I bought it. Another 10 since.

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup - that makes four now - I sense another "project" in the wings ..... :p
It's my street machine! Can't get it dirty like Scoob. I'm not gonna even change the stock front tire or stock non o-ring chain. Kidding, yes I am!:p

I have had the notion of building a sidecar. Have most of the parts. This project will be for winter road (around here not highway) during the winter. That way I don't have to worry about tipping over. Dang new dog don't like to ride or even be near an vehicle. Roscoe is definitely no Georgie when it comes to riding...on or in anything! If he only knew what he was missing out on!:D

·
Registered
311 Posts
Recently bought 2014 TW. During my routine checking things over when I got home inspection, I noticed a mist of oil on the crankcase. Went to adjust pilot screw and noticed a drop of oil on carb (screw was already adjusted 2.5 out). Cleaned dirty air filter (clogged with dust).

...then, I checked the oil level. The sight window was completely dark. I tipped TW over to the left (way over) and I finally could see it was overfilled with oil.

I drained this much oil out to get it back within the top mark of the oil level sight window. I don't have an exact measurement, maybe 1/2 quart but you can see it's way too much oil.

TW is all better now.
Just wondering: If a TW was left on its sidestand while checking the sight window during filling, rather than standing it upright to check, would that account for that much excess oil?

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
No, perhaps only an ounce or so. I always check my oil on the sidestand UNLESS I let it get way low and need to be sure there really is some in there. When I change oil and add exactly 1 quart the oil will nearly touch the top of the sight glass when upright but be right on the upper line when checked on the sidestand. I doubt if it matters as long as you use one or the other method consistently.

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
Forum member Boarder255 sold his XT225 to a lady who professed to know bikes. Appearently without checking she decided the XT should have it's oil topped off so filled it with "a quart or so of some oil from boyfriend's garage". When the poorly secured oil cap vibrated off hot oil got splashed on her leg. So she called Boarder irate that he sold her a faulty machine that "blew up".
Some people do not deserve the machines they have.
At least Admiral rescued this one & will likely give it a good home.

·
Registered
793 Posts
If your really get crazy overfilling, the TW happily spew on parking spot after riding. Preferably on a spot where one don’t want no spot. Keeps on leaking til you realize your self terrorist activities and drain n re fill with proper amount. It was not “rocket science” that discovered this nor desire for new knowledge. Seriously messy situation avoided easily by simply paying attention.
Tonto

1 - 17 of 17 Posts