TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

Registered
I've used Rotella in the past, quite few years ago. About the time I retired that bike, I seem to remember Rotella changing it's formula. Thinking they introduced additives that caused wet clutches to slip. Anyway, I'm also in the camp where I change my oil once a year. Went to using Castrol synthetic M/C specific oil, primarily because I feel the TW's tranny shifts better with it. I guess if I had to watch my pennies, it wouldn't bother me to go back to Rotella, as long as it was compatible with wet clutches. my $0.02

Mike

Super Moderator
Oh boy snow fox, here we go this will be a crude awakening.
I was just wondering today if they are gonna have the pumpkin spice engine oil again this season.
Halloween is just around the corner. Get your Pumpkin Spice Engine Oil orders in early! :)
Tire Bottle Liquid Automotive tire Bottle cap

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
How could we hate you Snow Fox? Oil is arguing over, not hating...My oil can beat up your oil!
Maybe you don't want to immediately piss off your new potential mechanic & riding buddy by questioning his judgement. He may become a valuable asset. Let us know how the ride went. Hope he is cuter than your other colorful locals. :giggle:
He's definitely cuter than the locals but he chews tobacco and spits up black slimy goo constantly and it makes me want to vomit. But he's gonna be a great riding buddy. Just a riding buddy. I guess ya can't have it all, right?

Registered
1987 and 2009 TW200's
He's definitely cuter than the locals but he chews tobacco and spits up black slimy goo constantly and it makes me want to vomit. But he's gonna be a great riding buddy. Just a riding buddy. I guess ya can't have it all, right?
Be sure to take the lead on your rides to avoid slimy goo back splash!

Registered
2021 TW; 2016 Honda NC700X
I鈥檒l just add my 2 cents. I tried Rotella in another bike a few years ago after reading the hype online. I dumped it out & replaced it with motorcycle specific oil after a couple of rides. It made the transmission shift like crap.

The nice thing about the TW is, it only takes a quart. I can get motorcycle oil at my local Farm & Fleet for 6 or 7 bucks a quart. Either Mobil or Valvoline. Or if I鈥檓 feeling really fancy, Fleet Farm has Motul motorcycle oil for $16. So that鈥檚 what I鈥檇 recommend. If they have 鈥淰 twin鈥 motorcycle oil, I wouldn鈥檛 use it. Harleys have separate lube for the engine & transmission, so in theory anyway, it may not be right for a bike that shares its engine & transmission oil.
Second that. Diesel engine oil is probably loaded with additives that will promote the wet-pack clutch slippage with use.

And they're not intended to be used in a gearbox.

I've used Mobil 1 4T, but then, I've never had a high-mileage anything. Highest mileage I had was 30k, on a Burgman 650 that I took cross-country a couple of times. It ran fine when I sold it, but the danger of the transmission stopper bolt breaking (and turning the machine into scrap) was too much for me to be comfy with.

I put Mobil 1 4T into both oil changes done on my current TW, with no issues. The oil does get dirty fast on this engine. But it also only holds a quart, and the filter is reusable, so it's cheap to change.

Thing about oil change debates is...you're never gonna be on the same page. He's got his Magic Recipe. I say bollocks. I wouldn't recommend you follow; just nod and smile. People are funny; otherwise informed people often develop irrational habits or beliefs.

Registered
MA is a Japanese standard so it shouldn't be different from one place to another. All new certification is supposed to be backward compatible with all older standards so the TW won't have an issue but I would do more research before putting T6 into a brand new design engine. But if I had a new bike I would be putting real deal MC oil in it (BMW OEM stuff obviously not lol... They're almost as bad as KTM)
Yes I understand the MA designation.

What I meant to say is that the MA designation went away from some Rotella grades in the past and recently reappeared. Whether it was because Shell failed to pay a license fee or if the oil did not meet the requirement has been disputed.

Discussing "Rotella", without using the grade suffix is meaningless.

But yes, I agree, if the oil doesn't have MA or MA2 designation, don't use it in a wet clutch application.

Registered
This was the back label on the jug of Rotella that I used when the clutches on my two TW's started slipping. I can't say for sure it caused the clutches to start slipping, and some will swear they use Rotells all the time and it works wonderfully, but I went back to a dedicated motorcycle oil not wanting to take a chance my brand new clutches will start slipping if I use the Rotella again.
Font Material property Circle Parallel Paper
Font Material property Circle Parallel Paper

21 - 40 of 52 Posts