TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 92' and the bolts for the oil filter cover and drain plug have been more or less stripped/rounded. Can I just use a suction pump to get the oil out as an alternative to replacing the damage? I realize its possible/ not the preferred method..

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Sorry to hear this, but your problems are not uncommon with older TW's where someone has already boogered up all the JIS fasteners and over torqued the drain plug resulting in diificulty/damage trying to remove it.

I doubt if you would be very successful in trying to suction the oil out. If you take your fill plug off and look down inside the side cover, you will see a bunch of gears and hardware that would prevent you from passing a tube to the bottom of the engine where the oil is. Even if you could get a tube past all that stuff, you could only access the oil that is in the side cover and not what is in the crankcase and the other side cover.

I agree with Ski, You should order the new parts that you would need and do what it takes to remove and replace the damaged parts.

I suppose it would be possible to drain your oil by inverting your bike, but I wouldn't really recommend that approach ;).

·
Registered
71 Posts
You'd probably only be able to suction out half the oil at best. How bad is the oil drain plug? No way of grabbing it with a vise grip?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
With the suction pump (as in the ones the lube places use) you stick the tube in the fill opening...
From TW-Brian above:
I doubt if you would be very successful in trying to suction the oil out. If you take your fill plug off and look down inside the side cover, you will see a bunch of gears and hardware that would prevent you from passing a tube to the bottom of the engine where the oil is. Even if you could get a tube past all that stuff, you could only access the oil that is in the side cover and not what is in the crankcase and the other side cover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts