TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I as going through oil coolers and I stumbled across this...

My linkhttp://tboltusa.com/store/factory-effex-temperature-stickers-p-1745.html

Has anyone used this? My mom used to use something like this on my head when I had a fever! Ha! May be a cheaper and MUCH easier alternative to running a gauge and probe. Think any accuracy will be sacrificed?

Kyle

EDIT: Found this too http://tboltusa.com/store/trail-tech-10mm-spark-plug-temperature-meter-p-1128.html though I feel like combustion temp could greatly cause this to deviate.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
For another 20 bucks you could get a real gauge and be able to dismiss concerns with accuracy. Just sayin'.

Those tattletale thermometers have come a long way, but the pic is of a waterpumper. I doubt that you would find a suitable place to mount one on a TW Motor.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For another 20 bucks you could get a real gauge and be able to dismiss concerns with accuracy. Just sayin'.

Those tattletale thermometers have come a long way, but the pic is of a waterpumper. I doubt that you would find a suitable place to mount one on a TW Motor.

I was thinking I'd just slap it on the crankcase. I think I might just get a TTO temp monitor with the sensor and mount it in the plug... Man, I hate when I have to do things correctly.

EDIT: Drain plug, not spark plug.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Nah. There are at least three ways of doing things. Lol. The right way, the wrong way, and my way, which is often a little of both.

But I have played with those kinds of stick-On thermometers in the past. The adhesive is quite good but I'm not certain that it is up to oil or fuel exposure.

In my buisines they are known as "tattletales" because some versions will change color or go black permanently if the piece of equipment has been used under conditions outside its design parameters.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty set on running a TTO temp reader and tapping the oil plug. I'm not sure what's more vital though. Cylinder head or oil temp? My personal preference is to monitor the head so I can check my tuning. And if cyl head temps are low, oil temp should be coming down. BUT, overheated oil is very bad. Ah! I'm at a crossroads! There is a 6 second latency... So I think with monitoring head temp for tuning, this isn't the right tool to use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts