TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok gents, I just got a New to me 2006 TW. So this weekend I changed the oil and filter (along with a few more things) anyway. I started the motor and loosened the bolt and after about a min still didn't see anything drip.
So then I wondered if I should take it all the way out. Well I did that and started it again this time oil gushed out. (a lot and soaked my red shop rag pretty good before I managed to shut it off) Ok so now Im thinking maybe it took a min or 2 to get oil up there.
So I tried it again with just loosening the bolt and no drips. Maybe I should rev it a little to raise oil pressure?

Whats the right way to do this test?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Ok gents, I just got a New to me 2006 TW. So this weekend I changed the oil and filter (along with a few more things) anyway. I started the motor and loosened the bolt and after about a min still didn't see anything drip.
So then I wondered if I should take it all the way out. Well I did that and started it again this time oil gushed out. (a lot and soaked my red shop rag pretty good before I managed to shut it off) Ok so now Im thinking maybe it took a min or 2 to get oil up there.
So I tried it again with just loosening the bolt and no drips. Maybe I should rev it a little to raise oil pressure?

Whats the right way to do this test?
Same thing happened to me, it didn't flow until I removed the bolt all the way. Now I know better, as long as I clean the filter I have in there I don't bother to check. If I ever change the filter, I'll check it again.

·
Super Moderator
17,936 Posts
Well if you got a bad filter or a two hole one accidently, you would be glad you checked it. It doesn't say to do it in the owners manual or the shop manual that I could see either. If you have done major work such as the base gasket or had the head or valve train apart, I think I would check it then though.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Scanned page out of my owners manual.

The other test you can do after an oil change is to go for a quick ride. If you don't hear the cam making "squeal of death" followed by the engine stalling after 15-25 miles then congrats everything is fine.

The oil should weep out of the loosened bolt like room temperature maple syrup.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Thanks for the responses, but still asking, should I see it drip through the threads after loosening the bolt?
Here's what I do to avoid a mess: Put a postage stamp sized piece of paper towel or toilet tissue under the bolt after loosening it several turns. Start engine. Rev slightly and wait until the tissue shows obvious signs of oil soaking. (Or one minute max if it does not)

Tighten bolt. NOTE!!! 10 NM is WAY too much torque for this soft bolt! Many have sheared off the bolt head this way. I use a screwdriver with one hand to give it final torque....you can't over torque it with a screwdriver unless you use both hands. Make sure it's the right size or you will bugger the head and be forced to use a box end from then on.

Technically, this is a JIS screw, not a Phillips, but at this large size (Phillips #3) you can get away with using a Phillips. (NOT so with smaller ones like the carb bowl screws!)

I think it's a quick little safety check that should be a habit EVERY time you service the filter.....someday it may save you several hundred dollars and a lot of down time.

I HOPE rm_hm is kidding about just going for a little ride....when you hear that squeal your engine is already TOAST!!!!

·
Registered
470 Posts
When I do mine, I back the bolt out so I can see 5 or 6 threads and they look clean and defined. After about 45 seconds, oil starts to seep out and the threads start looking less defined. If I let it run for another 30 seconds or so (total time 1:15) enough oil has come out that it will start to ooze down the head where the bolt protrudes. With the bolt still in, it will not be a lot of oil.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thanks for the input.

My 2006 Owner's Manual reads as follows: "Start the engine, and then let it idle for several minutes while checking it for oil leakage. If oil is leaking, immediately turn the engine off and check for the cause."

We definitely have two different sets of instructions here. I wonder what year the changes went into effect?

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
My 2005 manual say to loosen the bolt and check for oil flow as well. Confusing for sure, but I'll continue to loosen the bolt as I've not had a problem with this method.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
I checked my oil flow once and it made such a mess I have never bothered to check it again.

I also don't bother to check / clean my oil filter. The few times I have there was so little stuff on it it wasn't worth the effort.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
rm hm . Can you advise the page number so other's can check their Factory manual or smaller manual....mine advises the same as yours ( that bolt is there for a reason ). I also place a folded paper towel "under" the bolt prior to loosening.....it will show the oil seepage and absorbs the oil....no mess!.

·
Registered
465 Posts
rm hm . Can you advise the page number so other's can check their Factory manual or smaller manual....mine advises the same as yours ( that bolt is there for a reason ). I also place a folded paper towel "under" the bolt prior to loosening.....it will show the oil seepage and absorbs the oil....no mess!.
For a 2006 Owner's Manual it is page 6-13 for the oil change procedure. From Admiral's post it looks like 2005 was the last year recommending checking for oil flow.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This same thing happened to me when i tried to check oil flow to the head after my first oil change. I was curious and went on to remove this bolt completely. Oil gushed out of the opening next time i started the engine and made quite a mess. Then i experimented on and found my own way.

You just have to losen this bolt till threads are clearly visible and the amount of oil that will come out is so small that you won't be able to see it unless you have something like a tissue paper around the bolt.

Losen the bolt and wrap the tissue paper around it. Oil present will be soaked up by the tissue paper and will stop. Remember the mark on the paper and start the engine. If new oil is coming up you will see the tissue paper soaking up with new oil.

Sent from my MT15i using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
My manual says to do the bolt-loosing test and I always do it.

On all my TWs I see something about like what Indiana describes here:
When I do mine, I back the bolt out so I can see 5 or 6 threads and they look clean and defined. After about 45 seconds, oil starts to seep out and the threads start looking less defined. If I let it run for another 30 seconds or so (total time 1:15) enough oil has come out that it will start to ooze down the head where the bolt protrudes. With the bolt still in, it will not be a lot of oil.
Like others on here suggest, I have found that putting a small piece of newspaper under the bolt is the quickest and cleanest way to see the first signs of oil drippage.

Also heed Rocky's excellent advice and don't overtighten - that bolt is easy to shear off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you for this very clear description. When I tested mine today (for the first time), I was wondering if the small amount of oil coming out was enough. Sounds like it is. :)

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Thank you for this very clear description. When I tested mine today (for the first time), I was wondering if the small amount of oil coming out was enough. Sounds like it is. :)
Another quick method is to completely remove the bolt. Start up and just when oil starts to ooze out of the hole place a finger over it to stop the oil and with your other hand(s) haha, shut off the engine. When I just backed out the bolt a few threads as described in the manual I'd have to wait a long time before oil started to ooze out.

Another method I now use is the clear plastic method as seen in the photo.

This way no oil gets on the head (provided you shut off the engine before the oil reaches the top of the clear plastic tube.) After engine is off the oil will drain back into the engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts