TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have used castrol10-40. Mobile one. Some use synthetic and helps with smoother shifting. Just about anything will work. If you ride in really hot or really cold temps adjust the weight accordingly. 10-30 for cold and 15-40 or 15-50 for hot temps. Look up the owners manual for details.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Motorcycle specific motor oil.The majority of automotive oils have friction modifiers in them(Energy conserving star burst symbol on the back of the container)....wouldn't use them.Yes,alot of riders do use synthetic....Amsoil,Mobile-1 etc(bike hold's just a micron over one quart.....so the $$$ for synthetic is moot).There are good conventional oil's out there,but with a synthetic(after the bike is broke in)the bike will shift smoother and run less hot.Some folks run heavier oil in the summer,but,if the manufacturer recommends 10w-40 or what-have-you,that's what I'd run; there's alot of fluid dynamics involved in their decision making process for what oil(s) to run in what temperature.The first number...10w,15w, etc. is perceived to be a "start-up" oil weight...there's no reason to go heavier on that spec.(non I can see anyway)....if a person goes higher on the last number,again your going out of a specified range.......the aforementioned is my opinion,from what I've read and experienced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts