TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gang,
I did a search for "boots" but, came up empty. Since I purchased this little T-dub tractor a few months ago, I've had a ton of fun exploring when and where possible. I've been riding on and off road for decades but, it's always been in the Leasure outfitting and pace. I've never really gotten into the wazoo motorcycle boots 'cause the darn things are waaaaaaaaaaaay too heavy and waaaaaaaaaaaay too cumbersome. I've just used hi-top hiking boots etc. and they've always worked pretty good. But, while on a trip lately, down to Kartcher Caverns in Benson AZ to be with a family reunion, one of the guys there was wearing what looked like the type of boots the Army or Marines wear in Afghanistan or Fallujah. They were a light tan/cammo type boot. He said he got them at Big 5 and they were only around $38 or so, with a zipper on the side.

I used Magnum Hi-tops for Fire Department boots, also with a zipper on the side for years and those were great. Ultra light but, seriously durable. But, those were BLACK. I don't want BLACK for trail riding. I'm thinking of something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074N46CS4/?tag=morningchores-20&th=1

Although it doesn't have to be those specific ones. Big 5 has a fair selection, at least on line they do. We'll see when we hit the local store, to see what they actually carry. And, I've always had a WIDE foot so, fitment can be a bit tough when it comes to shoes and a comfortable fit. So, just wondering, are any of you *heavy* or, not so heavy trail riders wearing anything like what I linked? Oh, and by "HEAVY" I'm not meaning tonnage, I'm meaning serious and not so serious trail riders. I remember reading a boot thread a while back but, like stated, I couldn't find any in the search. I appreciate your experience here.

Subject 2: Back packs

Again, I've been a nonchalant off road rider for ever. But, even at 67 years old, I'm kind-a really getting into this dub thing. And that means, I think I want a back pack to carry this and that. I have no idea what to carry, other than some water and maybe be able to store a lighter jacket if it get's too warm. Maybe a small first aid kit, a small hand held HAM radio, fire starter ('case the Dub conks out and I gotta fend for myself in the middle of Mars someplace), etc. I don't have a rack yet but, that's on the list too. I just don't know which one. I'm not a fan of the one with the loooooonnng arms that go all the way down towards the foot pegs but, I understand those might be close to the strongest ones. The Juries out on which rack. Anyway, I can use some suggestions on type/style/make/model of back pack that hopefully, won't break the bank. And, while I'm not totally opposed to it, those ones with the camelback water system are not to my liking. I don't mind a stop every so often to get a drink. I gotta rest these old wrists and fingers anyway. It gives me a chance to let the butt muscles relax after getting them pounded by the brick of a seat the Dub has on it.

Anyway, boots and back packs, who's got what, and do you like, or don't like.
Scott

Reactions: Ken and Fred

·
Registered
400 Posts
Magnum Elite in black for everyday road use and Desert tan for summer/South of France (on the R1150GS)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thank you both for responding here. I took a look at the boot post/thread and, well, at present, not to many are interesting to me. And, there certainly is a lot to choose from, based on that post/thread. I'm in no hurry. Thanks again.
Scott

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have no thoughts on backpacks, but for boots I wanted something less cumbersome than typical riding boots. I went with a set of Original SWAT 9 inch waterproof boots. These are "tactical" boots, generally for law enforcement, military or the like, so they are not as armored and protective as riding boots, but they are comfortable, better than sneakers, and have proven to be waterproof. The only time my feet have gotten wet was when I dabbed into a puddle that was over the top of the boot. When they get dirty/muddy, I wash them (outer surface) with the hose. I would highly recommend the ones with the side zippers for easy on/off.

·
Registered
20,388 Posts
The Smith & Wesson boots in Coyote look good for the stated re-purposed use & riding intensity. Dedicated ride boots like my Forma Adventure boots would offer a bit better protection but at about 3 times the price.

As far as packs go my preference is something that secures well with chest & waist straps so that the pack does not bounce around and beat you up while riding. While not in the matching Coyote color this 30 litre tactical model demonstrates good support. Note the secondary straps linking wasitbelt/pack junction with shoulder straps. This valuable but rare feature really helps pull up a weighty pack compared to basic shoulder straps and narrow waist belt.
Redwing30_TacticalGrey_T2615817GY_side_web__01965.1525803725.1280.1280.jpg

After 10 years sitting on a shelf getting dusty I finally tried using some gifted CamelButt hydration bladders and now I am a convert for the ability to get a quick sip in hot weather. While that quick sip is priceless on those short breaks we have on Group Rides ( no time to un-ass the bike, remove pack and dig for a water bottle before it is time to go again) I would think riding in AridZona's heat would make frequent re-hydration very desirable.
So I would recommend a tactical pack with a sleeve for a hydration bladder. If never used for hauling a water bladder the built in sleeve could hold instead a piece of foam for padding, maps, stiff plastic sheet to protect back from sharp tools in main pack body, etc.

EDIT: That is a Kelty Redwing 30 for comparison purposes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Gang,
I did a search for "boots" but, came up empty. Since I purchased this little T-dub tractor a few months ago, I've had a ton of fun exploring when and where possible. I've been riding on and off road for decades but, it's always been in the Leasure outfitting and pace. I've never really gotten into the wazoo motorcycle boots 'cause the darn things are waaaaaaaaaaaay too heavy and waaaaaaaaaaaay too cumbersome. I've just used hi-top hiking boots etc. and they've always worked pretty good. But, while on a trip lately, down to Kartcher Caverns in Benson AZ to be with a family reunion, one of the guys there was wearing what looked like the type of boots the Army or Marines wear in Afghanistan or Fallujah. They were a light tan/cammo type boot. He said he got them at Big 5 and they were only around $38 or so, with a zipper on the side.

I used Magnum Hi-tops for Fire Department boots, also with a zipper on the side for years and those were great. Ultra light but, seriously durable. But, those were BLACK. I don't want BLACK for trail riding. I'm thinking of something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074N46CS4/?tag=morningchores-20&th=1

Although it doesn't have to be those specific ones. Big 5 has a fair selection, at least on line they do. We'll see when we hit the local store, to see what they actually carry. And, I've always had a WIDE foot so, fitment can be a bit tough when it comes to shoes and a comfortable fit. So, just wondering, are any of you *heavy* or, not so heavy trail riders wearing anything like what I linked? Oh, and by "HEAVY" I'm not meaning tonnage, I'm meaning serious and not so serious trail riders. I remember reading a boot thread a while back but, like stated, I couldn't find any in the search. I appreciate your experience here.

Subject 2: Back packs

Again, I've been a nonchalant off road rider for ever. But, even at 67 years old, I'm kind-a really getting into this dub thing. And that means, I think I want a back pack to carry this and that. I have no idea what to carry, other than some water and maybe be able to store a lighter jacket if it get's too warm. Maybe a small first aid kit, a small hand held HAM radio, fire starter ('case the Dub conks out and I gotta fend for myself in the middle of Mars someplace), etc. I don't have a rack yet but, that's on the list too. I just don't know which one. I'm not a fan of the one with the loooooonnng arms that go all the way down towards the foot pegs but, I understand those might be close to the strongest ones. The Juries out on which rack. Anyway, I can use some suggestions on type/style/make/model of back pack that hopefully, won't break the bank. And, while I'm not totally opposed to it, those ones with the camelback water system are not to my liking. I don't mind a stop every so often to get a drink. I gotta rest these old wrists and fingers anyway. It gives me a chance to let the butt muscles relax after getting them pounded by the brick of a seat the Dub has on it.

Anyway, boots and back packs, who's got what, and do you like, or don't like.
Scott
Here's what I decided to start with for a back pack. Its just a 2 liter water camel back knock off. It has good ratings and I can buy it for $26. There are a few extra pockets for small miscellaneous items, and the Molle system. Here's the link on Amazon:
SHARKMOUTH Tactical MOLLE Hydration Pack Backpack 900D with 2L Leak-Proof Water Bladder, Keep Liquids Cool for Up to 4 Hours, Outdoor Daypack for Cycling, Hiking, Running, USA Flag Patch,Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079DNJGV2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Ghd5DbGQA0FH7
Cheers - Maury ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Buddy!
So you had a good time out there going BATTY?

I use a Geigerrig 1600 pack with a PRESSURIZED system.
https://www.trailspace.com/gear/geigerrig/rig-1600/
Something you don't know you want until you try it. I love it. Waist/hip strap fits us taller guys. geigerigg 1600.jpg
Seems only available now in tactical..... but in tan though too.

Boots. Get something that covers your shin! Minimum. You have seen the damage. Lots of adventure boots available now. Just get something that you can walk in comfortably. I use SIDI Sympatex closest now would be Goretex Road Boots. With my inserts it is not too bad to hike a bit in them. Protection vs walkability etc etc Compromises......

Rack. Justin makes a great rack. reasonable and great fit. Local (to me)
Nomadic Rack.jpg
Nomadic Racks

Call me.

Spyder

·
Registered
20,388 Posts
Nice Geigerrig pack! Wish I had gotten one when they were $50.:eek:
PriceCurrent Retail: $158.00
Historic Range: $49.99-$175.00
Reviewers Paid: $89.99-$160.00

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hey Buddy!
So you had a good time out there going BATTY?

I use a Geigerrig 1600 pack with a PRESSURIZED system.
Something you don't know you want until you try it. I love it. Waist/hip strap fits us taller guys. View attachment 200564
Seems only available now in tactical..... but in tan though too.

Boots. Get something that covers your shin! Minimum. You have seen the damage. Lots of adventure boots available now. Just get something that you can walk in comfortably. I use SIDI Sympatex closest now would be Goretex Road Boots. With my inserts it is not too bad to hike a bit in them. Protection vs walkability etc etc Compromises......

Rack. Justin makes a great rack. reasonable and great fit. Local (to me)
View attachment 200566
Nomadic Racks

Call me.

Spyder
Heeeeeeey Partner,
What you do 'in on here? You're a BIGGER m/c guy, not a smaller one like the TW. Anyway, cool, glad to hear from you and your experience in these matters. Yeah, you been ridin' outback for decades so I do value your input. But, again, I'm not the kind that is comfortable with those large, ultra high moto-cross boots. I tried a set on one time and almost fell over 'cause I couldn't move my legs. Now-a-days, just about anything higher than tennis shoes and, my ankles don't like'm. Hiking boots are barely tolerable. But, as stated, one of the guys at our family reunion, had the later style Army or Marine types on that LOOKED like they were really flexible and he said they were. They're not black but, instead the khaki or, "Coyote" color that seems to be popular.

But, I tried on some at Big 5 and was a bit disappointed. They were STIFF. So, I'm still on the hunt. As for backpacks, well, again, this is not for the Dakar. I've got one now, it's a Cut'N'Core one from Jen. Nothing fancy, doesn't have any Blatter or anything like that. It does have a couple of netting places for water bottles. As stated earlier, I won't mind stopping and shutting down for a short rest. So, taking off the backpack and getting water is a RELIEF to me. I gotta let my hands un-numb, not to mention my BUTT! We just today, received two, brand new 3/4 HJC helmets that are fitted with speakers and mics for the Goldwing. The original ones, were well over 12 years old. I bought them BEFORE you and I retired. They'd been dropped numerous times and, were getting pretty nasty inside 'cause, you can't take the innards out of them like you can the newer ones. Yuck! Now, I might have to look for a sort of cheapie off road helmet. Man, this T-dub rid'n can get expensive! Thanks for responding Bud.
Scott

P.S., By the way, forgot to comment on that rack. I really like that one but, not sure how it attaches to the T-dub. If it only attaches up in that area, that area's only designed to hold about 7 lbs or so. Now, I'm not gonna carry an "out of town bag" ('member those?) or anything that's overwhelming but, you can add up to 7 lbs. real quick. I'd have to look closely at that one. Thanks.
SR

·
Registered
35 Posts
I recently did the TAT with one of the backpacks one can buy at Walmart. It's big enough, I believe, for what you're looking for, has accommodation for a water bladder(not included), has MOLLE loops, and is not *super* cheap.
I didn't like it...mostly because it could carry so much and made things cramped with my Giant Loop and duffel on the bike. I don't hate it, but I would have preferred to take my Fox Convoy instead. The Convoy is tidy but not as capacious as what it seems you want.
May be worth a look but I bet the other suggestions offered would be just as good.

In regard to boots, I can only offer my standard admonishment to wear the most protective boots you can stand...and an anecdote.
While testing my YZ250 with its newly installed Rekluse back around 2006, I laid my bike down trying to avoid a head-on collision with a cowboy in a pickup out in the desert. When I went down, the footpeg was dragged across my lower left leg just above where my workboots ended. It was excruciating and I still have a lump of torn muscle and scar tissue there.
That's the short version.
That said, I'm currently nursing a sprained ankle sustained on the LAB2V from crashing in the snow and I was wearing my protective MX boots...so I guess nothing is foolproof.
I see some ADV boots offered here and there that seem to be designed toward comfort.
I agree that proper MX boots can be cumbersome but I really hate leg/foot injuries.

Looking at your last post, just now, it looks like you show a pic of the Walmart pack or something darned close.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I recently did the TAT with one of the backpacks one can buy at Walmart. It's big enough, I believe, for what you're looking for, has accommodation for a water bladder(not included), has MOLLE loops, and is not *super* cheap.
I didn't like it...mostly because it could carry so much and made things cramped with my Giant Loop and duffel on the bike. I don't hate it, but I would have preferred to take my Fox Convoy instead. The Convoy is tidy but not as capacious as what it seems you want.
May be worth a look but I bet the other suggestions offered would be just as good.

In regard to boots, I can only offer my standard admonishment to wear the most protective boots you can stand...and an anecdote.
While testing my YZ250 with its newly installed Rekluse back around 2006, I laid my bike down trying to avoid a head-on collision with a cowboy in a pickup out in the desert. When I went down, the footpeg was dragged across my lower left leg just above where my workboots ended. It was excruciating and I still have a lump of torn muscle and scar tissue there.
That's the short version.
That said, I'm currently nursing a sprained ankle sustained on the LAB2V from crashing in the snow and I was wearing my protective MX boots...so I guess nothing is foolproof.
I see some ADV boots offered here and there that seem to be designed toward comfort.
I agree that proper MX boots can be cumbersome but I really hate leg/foot injuries.

Looking at your last post, just now, it looks like you show a pic of the Walmart pack or something darned close.
Well,
As of this minute, I'm still on the hunt, for boots and a pack. Nothing's really made a great impression yet. Some great folks and help here, as usual. But, at this time in my "outback" riding plans as I see them, I really don't think I need a complicated backpack. I was originally not too interested in a bladder type at first. And as earlier stated, I do need to stop every now and then to let my hands de-numb as well as my butt. So, stopping on any sort of frequent basis and taking a break, which means removing the backpack for a bottle of water, is no big deal to me. I get off, take a look around, maybe check out a view, let the blood get back to the butt and hands, maybe take a picture and then, I'm rested and, can remount and cruise some more. So, the importance of the bladder type is a bit down on the list.

As for boots, yes, without a doubt, I do see the importance of protection for as high up the leg as one desires. In my short ownership of this present TW and, the few off road excursions I've been on, I've already injured myself on one of them. But, it was 'cause I was going so slow, up a rocky climb that, the bike just quit and fell over. Due to the way things landed, I burnt the upper back side of my left calf and lower back of my thigh, right inside the knee, from the header of the exhaust. No boots that I know of, would have protected me from that injury. But, that was all on me. I should have never been in the predicament I put myself in.

But, and I know this might be a bit naïve but, comfort and flexibility are way more of importance in this search. I've used Hiking boots for years and years, both on and off street riding. And, they've always worked great. I just thought I'd take a sort of poll and, ask what folks are using so maybe I could think about upgrading my thoughts on boots. And I surely appreciate all the suggestions. I get to learn about what everyone uses.
Scott

·
Registered
35 Posts
After drinking out of the bladder for 2 weeks on the road, I switched to carrying bottles of water because the taste of the bladder disgusted me. I don't blame you a bit for your riding scheme. I still just carry bottles. In regard to the boots...Ouch. I don't think you could have avoided injury that way either.
I think if one finds a good rig they should consider it a happy accident unless they've got a lot of money to invest.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Methinks you should see the boot selections at tacticalgear.com or opticsplanet.com based on your preferences. Your description of a backpack didn’t seem to narrow it down to a certain type. Take a look at the backpacks on the aforementioned sites, or perhaps ride out a few times and figure out just what you’d like to have on you, then you’ll have a better idea of what you need.
Regarding hydration bladder backpacks, just wash the damn thing to clean it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Scott,

I ride with my hunting backpack. It is light weight, durable, weatherproof and compact. I can carry everything I need for a days plus emergency gear if packed tight and right. Has one main compartment, two side pockets I use for water bottles and a couple of additional compartments on back. I can lash additional gear to it as needed. It's comfortable and fits me well. It used to have a water bladder and drinking hose but I never liked using that option so I pulled it. It has a detachable smaller "day pack" for times when you don't need to carry everything with you such as a day hike from where you parked the TW.

You might consider a smaller hunting pack such as this one. A number of companies specialize in them.

Cheers~ Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Methinks you should see the boot selections at tacticalgear.com or opticsplanet.com based on your preferences. Your description of a backpack didn’t seem to narrow it down to a certain type. Take a look at the backpacks on the aforementioned sites, or perhaps ride out a few times and figure out just what you’d like to have on you, then you’ll have a better idea of what you need.
Regarding hydration bladder backpacks, just wash the damn thing to clean it.
I keep my bladder clean...oh, so clean. The plastic that my fox one is made of has been particularly distasteful from the start. My Camelbacks are better.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I wear Redwing hiking boots.....7" tops very comfortable and a Burton day pack with lots of pockets .....

I know I will forget something but start with the 10 standard items that any outdoor club recommends....and a double action 44 revolver....a SPOT ….point and shoot film camera.....sun block....sun glasses....deep woods off...a flashlight....candle....a couple fire starters.....paper towels ….extra socks and jacket... artic tarp/blanket...bottle water....couple nut bars.... Swiss Army knife.... and a whistle on the bike, the pack and my belt.... brake and clutch levers ….I have a rack that I can carry the pack on or I can wear it comfortably ….

I am sure I have forgotten something like a signal mirror ....I always take the pack with me riding or hiking...weighs 25 or so pounds....been doing it for more than 60 years....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Packs are pretty easy- there are a million models that will work fine. Boots, however, are a different story. I like to keep my feet in good shape. I don't buy cheap boots. I have Lowa, Kennetrek, Danner (USA made ones), Crispi and Georgia boots (great work boots). I hate real M/C boots unless racing or something radical because you can't walk in them! If I am just going out for the day I will typically throw on my Lowas and have a great time. For packs I like small ones. My best small ones are Camelback brand. Another decent small pack is Ogio. I have a few of these. Best place to get small packs is Goodwill!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Again,
I most certainly appreciate ALL answers and experiences here. Lots of knowledge for sure. There's been a couple of mentions of "Georgia" boots. I used Georgia Steel toed work boots for a specific duty assignment off the FD for years. I was on concrete for 8-10 hours a day on those. Without a doubt, those Georgia's worked phenomenal for me without any issues at all. Those boots felt like they were broken in, right out of the box. Just about every other shoe/boot/tennis shoe/ etc. all seem to need at least some time to break in. Anyway, not sure if they'd do for my needs but, I might take a look at them, now that you've reminded me of them. As for a pack, well, some will like and or agree with this and some will think I'm nuts.

I found TWO at Walmart the other day. One was a bit larger than the other but, both had what I would consider enough compartments (including two water bottle ones, one on each side). They both have a water proof section for a bladder and a small hole for the tube. Both are "Camel" in color. And, they're somewhat cheap. One is around $16-$17 and the other is around $30 - $35 or so. I'm not planning on being out for days at a time. I just want some small carrying capability. As for the "Double Action 44", laughing, well, here in AZ we're allowed to carry, concealed or open so, 'got that covered. Thanks again.
Scott

1 - 20 of 21 Posts