TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading up several pages on the rear shock i decided the banshee shock would be my best bet. Blaster would be too high...and i had access to a banshee shock from a friend. Actually a blaster too, which its spring might come in handy. The install was pretty simple. Took the exhaust off to slide it in there. Made a few slight grinds to the swing arm for extra clearance and it looked like it was made for the bike.

I have read up on how the spring is too soft, and after plumping my ass down on the seat for the first time i was already agreeing with that. it REALLY lowered the tw. So i cranked up the preload till i ran out of threads. A little better...i didnt think to measure it but id guess 4-5 inches of sag when i sit on it. A lot more than a stock tw shock..i hopped on my friends tw that was next to mine for a quick butt comparison. Next we played with compression and found all the way hard was the best setting. I was just pushing down on the back of the bike and comparing the settings....next was the preload. Slow was...well..it took an hour to come back up. Fast probably could of launched a molotive cocktail into the neighbors yard. Slowed that down quite a bit to try and match the tw's stock rebound.

I took it home..rode it around a bit and went up my driveway curb and bottomed the rear shock out in second gear...im probably not going to be happy with it off road, or maybe im just jumping the gun. I also dont pack lightly and have a good 25-30lbs in my rear bag too. Im under the impression that with me sitting on it plus my gear ive already used up h alf of the shocks travel and wont do me any good if im constantly bottoming out.

So based on the bike being real squishy and loosing quite a bit with my just sitting on it...what's my next step? Probably a stiffer spring and back it off on the pre load? I do have a blaster spring i can throw on there...

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Leave it alone for now if you're gunna stretch it. No matter what you come up with you'll have to do it all over again with the stretch, anyway.

The Banshee's a fairly decent shock but once you get a stiff enough spring on it it tends to overpower the rebound adjustment.

I got it to work fairly well with an XT600 spring, but like I said that all goes out the window with a stretch.

The Blaster shock will give you a nosebleed. Lifts the rear on the order of 5".

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
You need to swap the spring. I ran the banshee shock and stock spring for about 15 minutes off road, before I wanted to unload a clip from my G17 into it. Instead of spending the money on a progressive custom spring (may still, but too many projects competing for $), I used a v-star spring and built a spacer. With an extended swingarm that combo really came alive. I've heard that a raptor 700 spring is stiffer than a banshee, but haven't found one that was cheap enough to gamble on.

josh

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok now im not doubting my self..thanks josh. Anybody gone with a blaster spring? Id rather use all spring rather than a spacer

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
There ya go. Josh rides his pretty hard, so there's one way to go. Ronny's got 70 pounds on me and runs the stocker with a stretch, but it does slam occasionally.

The stocker softens up a bunch and starts to work right with a stretch. Might surprise you.

I've got springs coming out my ears from all that. Let me know before you run out and buy one.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe im wrong...but with an extended swing arm thatd put more leverage on the shock..and if the tw stock shock isnt meeting my needs with a stock swing arm i think putting more leverage on it would make it worse. Maybe im just use to my rzr that is dialed in perfect with elkas.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Meeting your needs how?

If it isn't pogo-ing long before it bottoms, it's probably sacked out. Stock springs in good shape are usually too STIFF for guys our size, not too soft. If it's bottoming, it's toast.

You have 3 compression settings. They don't do a lot, but you can change the stocker a little.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tends to pogo and bottom out more than it should. I tend to ride a little more on the aggressive side so im wanting more. I know its no MX bike but id like it a little more dialed in for my riding. Its only a 2008 shock too

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I dunno. The extra`weight of our tires are a pretty big factor in the equation, as well.

Gunna take some sciencing out. Not many of us are running stretches, even fewer with stretches and 10 extra pounds of tire to control.

Let me know what you come up with so I can steal it.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Tends to pogo and bottom out more than it should. I tend to ride a little more on the aggressive side so im wanting more. I know its no MX bike but id like it a little more dialed in for my riding. Its only a 2008 shock too

I built a preload spacer and I am testing it out on Your 3" extended swing arm. I will let you know how much I like it on Your swing arm!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
go ahead and include the spacer when you ship it out..tomorrow

i like the platform and adjust-ability of the banshee shock..i just think i need to figure out the spring part and ill be a happy camper

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I'm running the stocker for now. I had the Banshee working fairly well with the stock tire but it didn't quite get it done with the ATV tire.

I just got my longer swingarm on, so I'm gunna roll with the stocker until I get a better feel for what's needed.

I'm basing my opinion on the fact that Ronny was bottoming continually. I gave him a new stocker and he says it all but went away. His was sacked.

You have a GoPro. Rig it up to watch the rear and see what's really going on back there. Obviously if you've got bare spots from the tire hitting the frame you've identified the problem. But if you don't, you probably have the same problem I have in that the progressive stock spring gets too rigid on a hard hit when it reaches the last inch or two of travel. IIRC we're nearly the same weight.

If the front end passes fairly easily over a boulder and the back launches you upward that could be whats happening. It seems to all go away with the added leverage of the stretch. I don't feel it with Ronny's bike. I only have a short easy ride on mine but it appears to be less an issue already.

Remember that you'll gain an inch or so subframe clearance automatically with the stretch.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ok now im not doubting my self..thanks josh. Anybody gone with a blaster spring? Id rather use all spring rather than a spacer

I just put a blaster shock (and spring) on my bike. Don't ask me what year it came off of but I know it was the rear. So far I haven't got to ride much more than a few laps around my neighborhood in the snow but I really like the taller stance. I'm going to put some ATV bars on it soon too. I'm 6'1" and 225 lbs and the standing height is perfect for me.

·
Registered
423 Posts
It still isn't as tall as my DRZ but now my girlfriend wants me to switch it back to the stock shock for her to ride
and I was just starting to have fun!

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I have run stock, a V-Star with extention, a Banshee with V-Star spring and now the Banshee with a Hyper Pro progressive (TW). I have a stock swing arm and am a conservative rider averaging about 15 mph off road. For me, every mod was better than stock. Even with the weight I alway carry on back, at my slow speed the stock shock, with it original setting was to abrupt. The V-Star was nice, softer, more movement, easier preload options. The Banshee with the V-Star spring was nice as well, and seemed to afford more opportunities to dial-in. The Hyper-Pro progressive spring on the Banshee body was still very comfortable, much better than stock (for me), stiffer than the Banshee with V-Star spring, and would likely handle a more aggressive rider better. Again, my style is pretty unique, and I am always going for comfort. Gerry

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
What do you suggest to make a spacer out of?

Not sure who you are asking, or what the question is regarding exactly. If you are asking me, and the question is regarding a spacer to match the shorter TW/Hyper Pro spring to the Banshee body, I would be inclined to say Ronnydog would be the man with the best answer as he has a nice spacer posted above. I happened to have a section of thick walled pipe that I had one of the machinists at work turn down for me. A bit on the heavy side but it was some material I had on hand. Gerry

1 - 20 of 39 Posts