TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a new airbox boot under the promise of the forum that the new part was longer due to the old part shrinking.

I sat them next to one another and the new one is the exact same length. It is more stretchy so I can get a slightly better seal at the carb, but it's still about 3/8" too short.

Is there a plastic spacer available for the engine-to-carb mount that fits well? I'd like to shift the carb back a bit. I may have a spacer machined. I hate when things don't line up right.

I'll upload a photo later when I get home from work.

·
Registered
631 Posts
If you are using the stock carb and stock boots, it should be fine. I wonder if someone rotated the airbox boot on you?? Try rotating the airbox boot around in the airbox, because it is offset, rotating it makes a huge difference in it's "length" between the carb and airbox.

Adding a spacer between the carb and head may change the characteristics of the engine a little, could be good or bad??

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Ditto on rotating it. Or make sure your airbox hasn't been unbolted and slid back or something strange like that. Or someone hammered the carb into the manifold waaay too far somehow. I'd say just rotate it though. A little petroleum jelly helps it move and seal as well.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed it myself (the new boot) and it rotates 360 degrees. I have it at its longest setting. The airbox looks like it is in the only spot it can be. The engine seems to be in the only spot it can be, but I'm going to check the mounting bolts.

The frame isn't beat up or bent that I can tell.

should the boot (when new) slide right over the back of the carb? Mine just sits there touching it but not going over it at all. The intake boot is also new. That was my primary purchase (since my old one leaked air.)

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Maybe the "new" one has been sitting around for a long time.

Try turning it and it may align better. That is what happened when I replaced mine though the new one was a lot longer than the old one.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I installed it myself (the new boot) and it rotates 360 degrees. I have it at its longest setting. The airbox looks like it is in the only spot it can be. The engine seems to be in the only spot it can be, but I'm going to check the mounting bolts.

The frame isn't beat up or bent that I can tell.

should the boot (when new) slide right over the back of the carb? Mine just sits there touching it but not going over it at all. The intake boot is also new. That was my primary purchase (since my old one leaked air.)

Just give the airbox a wiggle and see if it's bolted in securely or not. Slim chance it isn't. Same for the carb, see if it's pushed in on the motor side too far. A picture would help a lot if you can get us one.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll get some photos. My airbox is secure and doesn't move at all. The carb is seated properly into the rubber intake manifold (fits into the inner groove and the centering notch on top.)

I sat them side by side expecting the new one to be longer and it's identical in length to the one I removed. Only difference is stiffness. I doubt I could get the old one installed into the airbox now because it's too stiff. The new one will stretch over the carb if I have the help of another person to push it forward while I tighten the screw, but that doesn't seem ideal since I'm the only one ever working on the bike.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
This is weird. You could try dipping the new boot in some boiling water for a minute or so to soften it up. It'll aid in getting it into the airbox. It may "stretch" the boot as well. Just we warned, once is starts to cool it will shirk down to its original state, so you only have a few minutes of working time.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Well, I'll be the one to mention it might be an order error as well. Double check the part number if you still have it, and maybe take a measurement of it standing upright. I've got a fresh one sitting here I can compare for ya.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The part number matches the lookup I did.

JOINT,AIR CLNR 1

2JX-14453-00-00

Came new from Yamaha. I had my dealer order it and it's in the translucent stapled, plastic bags that all my other parts come in.

This is a photo of my old one, but this is how I have it installed. "2JX" and the rubber nub facing upward.

I loosened the clamp screw to let it go to where it wants to and you can see it comes up short about 5/16"

You can also see my new intake boot and the carb sitting in it correctly.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Just playing by ear here, but you might have to just twist the boot as it sits on the carb until you get the fit you can live with. I do recall there being a sweet spot where everything kinda makes enough sense to accept and you throw your hands in the air and leave it be.

Alternatively, you might be able to only put the first "notch" of the boot in the airbox and not the second, but I honestly don't remember if that will work and seal. You should be able to tell immediately.

I would say a combination of twisting it and backing the carb out of the manifold just a tad will get a working fit, but it is unusual that it isn't any longer than the old one. Maybe it's been on the shelf a bit too long. If you're really unhappy with it, take the old one with you, explain to the dealer what's up, and try to get a replacement, or some advice on lining it up.

The only other possibility I can think of is another warehouse error where they bagged a boot for post-2001 TW's in the wrong bag or something, but that's unlikely. I'm not sure if the boot length is any different on the newer ones anyhow.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The part has 2JX embossed in it. The 2001+ boot starts with a different part number.

Also, this thing is a mirror copy of what I already have. I suspect 'Made in China' might have something to do with it. I assumed anything from the dealer would be made in Japan.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
If you're still dealing with it, I'd say measure the new boot and let me compare. If yours is shorter than my new one that worked, return it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll measure it from two points I can get to with dial calipers. I don't want to pull it out of the airbox.

I was trying to figure out how to loosen the air/battery box and push it forward or if that's even possible. The engine is properly bolted into the frame.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would wager his new boot is just as short as the old. I had the same thing happen. Just barely reaches far enough to connect but the whole time your thinking "this should be a little longer."

My guess is that its old stock or they stored it in a way that caused it to shrink. Its been too long for me but if I were you I would march it back down to the dealership or email the website you got it from and let them know. If it turns out that the boot is the correct size then my bike has the same problem as yours. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
I have not personally experienced this problem myself, but if I were faced with having two boots that were both too short I would be thinking about a way to splice them together to get the added length that you need. This would clearly be complicated by 1)the offset (non-linear) shape of the boots, and 2)the potential difficulty(?) of bonding rubber to rubber.

If anyone knows of a good bonding agent for rubber (unfortunately I don't have any suggestions here), then the task should be pretty straightforward. Simply cut each boot in the same general area, but offset the cuts slightly for each boot. The amount of offset will depend on how much length you wish to add. Then take the longer airbox end and pair it with the longer carb end and join them together either by bonding them directly together via some type of solvent/adhesive that will work on rubber; or use hose clamps to secure the cut ends over a short section of appropriately sized thinwall plastic or metal tubing.

Not very elegant, but it seems to me that it should work. If you already have two boots that are too short, what do you have to lose?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have it connected 'good enough' just not up to my own personal standard. Sort of annoying but I already installed the part so I doubt there's any refunds and I don't want to mess with that. I'll have to inspect the battery box to see if it can come forward in any way.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And.. last night I had a breakthrough... Install the clamp on the carb-to-airbox boot first.

THEN tug the carb forward and seat it into the intake manifold boot.

Problem solved.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts