TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A kid in town is selling his 1975 CB125 to me next week. It's gonna need a carb, exhaust, shift shaft, kick shaft and a lot of cleaning. Theoretically, it just needs a carb to start, but they mentioned the plug tip is broke off in the head so I'm thinking new piston maybe.

Anyhow I'm just turning out to be a little bike kinda guy and wanted to share my restoration process with you guys. If you've got any bikes from way back when, I'd love to see them.

·
Registered
32 Posts

1976 CB550f mid-cafe conversion. Seat is being test-fit in this pic.

Currently it's all taken apart.

·
Registered
204 Posts
here are a few in the family

ariel square 4

69 electra glide and 87 heritage softtail that sit about 20 feet off the ground above my dad's shop.

my dad has about 3500 total in this one. it was in a harley davidson rolling museum tour a few years ago.

1942 indian 442. one of a small few left in this condition. value around 65k.

another indian, not as rare though

1954 harley davidson 50th anniversary edition. the 100th anniversary model was a 2003, so they lost a year somewhere....

here's an old model a my dad has too.

there are 3 more indians and 2 old harleys that are in another building. i'm going to try to get pictures of them next time i go home.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Those are some nice bikes! Here are some mid 70's 400 Fours for you. These are my brother's passion. One restored to showroom condition, one tricked out and the other in progress as a cafe' bike. A great deal of the components on the last two are all custom machined.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good stuff guys. Keep em coming. Here's a pic of the thing I've got to contend with. It'll be a do-it-when-i-can kinda project but I couldn't pass up on the deal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good stuff guys. Keep em coming. Here's a pic of the thing I've got to contend with. It'll be a do-it-when-i-can kinda project but I couldn't pass up on the deal.

You planning on restoring or customizing? Looks like it has some good potential for either.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You planning on restoring or customizing? Looks like it has some good potential for either.

Well I'm not sure I like the cafe look people always go for so the shape will stay the same. Color scheme will probably change, though. I'm a big fan of flat black but I might do something more dazzling.

I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw a few good CB125's modded on a website I belong to. Either option is out of my skill/price range though.

I read that the metalwork for this one was forged in a backyard bonfire. Very do-it-yourself.

The cafe seat conversion for this one is a whopping $250 on ebay.

Still they look great either way. I'd probably prefer to chop and bob it if I had any idea how to work with metal.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i have a 78cb125 . it was a daily commuter for about 2 years.it currently sits needing a good rebuild. i painted it flat black and cut about half the thickness out of the seat foam. i will try to find a pick.

good luck they are good bikes. shawn

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hey, I've got one of those too! Bought it off Craigslist for $125 a couple of years ago. Got it running and it's going to be my next restoration project. Here is what $125 got me:

At first I was going to make it into a cafe racer like you see above. Until I saw this. This is what I'm shooting for since the CB100s and CB125s are pretty much identical.

http://www.bikeexif.com/honda-cb100

·
Registered
231 Posts
Honda CB750K

1973 frame with a 1978 motor

its for sale if anyone is interested

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Catamount I think you like the hollow look a lot. I think I might go in a similar direction now. Less is more, and I can afford that. The one I'm getting already doesn't have sidecovers so I'd be a step in the right direction. From what I understand the 100 and the 125 shared everything but the motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
here are a few in the family

ariel square 4

69 electra glide and 87 heritage softtail that sit about 20 feet off the ground above my dad's shop.

my dad has about 3500 total in this one. it was in a harley davidson rolling museum tour a few years ago.

1942 indian 442. one of a small few left in this condition. value around 65k.

another indian, not as rare though

1954 harley davidson 50th anniversary edition. the 100th anniversary model was a 2003, so they lost a year somewhere....

here's an old model a my dad has too.

there are 3 more indians and 2 old harleys that are in another building. i'm going to try to get pictures of them next time i go home.
oh, very nice, Thanks for the picture...

Watch Let Me In Online Free

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Almost everything is interchangable between the CB, CL, SL, and early XL 100s and 125s that is not affected by the spacing of the head studs. For your 125s, if you want to build them fast, try to find the Yoshimura magnesium cylinder and head and 6-speed trans conversion. The trasns also fits the 100s.

EDIT to add a pic of my 550.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
And to think my first race bike was a 1972 SL-125. Wish I still had a few pictures from the old Budds Creek track.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts