TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably the opposite of most on here. I'm mid 50's and I have rode bikes all my life. I got my motorcycle license when I was 16. The last 20 years I have rode a Harley. I have had several. I haven't had a offroad bike since I was a kid. I have had several ATVs. I haven't rode my Harley much lately so I sold it. I still had the motorcycle itch so I bought a 2020 TW200.
The only thing it has in common with my Harley (Ultra) is they both have 2 wheels. The TW is weak, needs another gear, 55 feels like 95 on the big bike. I rode it 80 miles the first day I got it last week and my butt hurt worse than a 700 mile day on the big bike. My friends think I have lost my mind. My son rode it yesterday and said man that thing is slow.

All that said it is a BLAST. I live in the mountains of southwest Virginia and I am now on a mission to ride dirt roads.I really like this little bike. Just my 2 cents.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Welcome! A lot of us graduated from road bikes to trail riding. It's what keeps us young; new skills while retaining the old ones. Plus, you can drink while riding and smoke a cigar! Ha! I keep a flask of Yukon Jack with me at all times on the trail as well as either an Acid cigar or a pack of clove cigarettes. Life is too short not to stop to appreciate those woods and views and more enjoyable with a smoke and a swig. Life is good!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
You sound like most of us. I am 56. Riding easily 45 years on and off. Sold them all at 40. At 50 got back on. I wanted to start riding again. I was going to get a motorcycle, but got a TW instead. I ride through life happier than a retard on a field trip...then my addiction came out of dormancy...then came a Bonneville...then a Springer too. If you have to explain the TW to someone they will never understand.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'm probably the opposite of most on here. I'm mid 50's and I have rode bikes all my life. I got my motorcycle license when I was 16. The last 20 years I have rode a Harley. I have had several. I haven't had a offroad bike since I was a kid. I have had several ATVs. I haven't rode my Harley much lately so I sold it. I still had the motorcycle itch so I bought a 2020 TW200.
The only thing it has in common with my Harley (Ultra) is they both have 2 wheels. The TW is weak, needs another gear, 55 feels like 95 on the big bike. I rode it 80 miles the first day I got it last week and my butt hurt worse than a 700 mile day on the big bike. My friends think I have lost my mind. My son rode it yesterday and said man that thing is slow.

All that said it is a BLAST. I live in the mountains of southwest Virginia and I am now on a mission to ride dirt roads.I really like this little bike. Just my 2 cents.
For sure get on those dirt roads. I ride in the NC mountains on dirt roads. You can ride for hours and never see another person. The tw is an awesome bike for that. Well the tw is just awesome at trails. Paved roads are ok too. The thing is you are not limited on where you want to go. Have fun and welcome to the forum!

Edit: get you a "seat concepts" seat. It will increase your ride times by 3.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm 53 and have been riding since 1992. Before the TW I had a V-Star 650 for about 5 years. The V-star was a good bike, super reliable, cheap to own and insure - but it just didn't excite me. It was a very competent bike but it wasn't interesting to ride. The TW, on the other hand, is a lot of fun as you have discovered. The TW is not a freeway bike, but I find it handles very nicely on the quiet hilly roads and is great for trails and country riding.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
welcome to the nuthouse....

I'm thinkin in your mid 50's you are the newbie.... been riding for 60 years, lots of different bikes. picture of my last harley
harley 1.jpg

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yeah DJ, YOU are the newbie. I'm 66 and the last bike was a Valkyrie. I spent 13 years craving two wheels and finally got the Wife liquored up and popped the question on her. "Honey, can a get a motorcycle if it the kind of motorcycle that will be going 50 mph slower than the Valkyrie when I crash it?".

That was in February and I now have two TWs and a VanVan.

Don't look back.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I remember being in mid-fifties...20 years ago!
Began riding on street since 1963...so do NOT feel like the lone stranger.
This was my ride at age 55:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Welcome to the forum from mike in n.c
I'm only 58 been riding 51 years..
Just picked up a 2020 T-dub

·
Registered
93 Posts
So, are the 2020's at least Fuel Injected?

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No fuel injection, that and no 6th gear are my biggest disappointments, but it sure is fun. I rode my Ultra to Key West in 2015. 2400 miles round trip, it was a great trip.
IMG_20151014_102211_zpsod8n9lv1.JPG

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome aboard! I am 70 & have been riding since I was 9. Of course the TW is slow! It is supposed to be. However it is BIG fun putting around on my desert dirt roads at 10-30 mph. It is also a fun local errand run about & all around blast to ride as long as you keep it under about 50 mph. I love this bike & am so happy I bought it instead of the KLR650 I was thinking about. Of course to balance things out I also ride a 500cc sport bike. So, dirt, street & in between are covered. Have fun with the Tdub.

·
Registered
557 Posts

Well Sir,
Not too sure what you mean by "Opposite" of most on here. If you're talking age, well Partner, there's quite a few of us that have you beat. I'll see your "mid 50's" and raise you to, 67, almost 68 (Sept). I rode Honda Goldwings for decades and, just recently traded our '08 Level II GL 1800 Goldwing in on a brand new 2018 (yes, new old stock on the show room floor) Honda Africa Twin, Adventure Sports, DCT model. I love that bike to death.
But, I also have an '07 TW. As has been stated, there's some things you need to realize about the T-dub.

1. IT'S A TRACTOR BIKE! It's not made to GO FAST. It's a 200 cc motorcycle, not a 1200 cc or an 1800 cc bike.

2. Yes, the stock seat is not very comfortable, to say the least. It's a seat, and it does the job but, there are alternatives out there, if one chooses to spend the money. One learns to either live with it or, change to something they THINK will be better.

3. Realize what the benefits of the T-dub are. Considerably lighter than many dirt/adventure/dual sport but, still get's the jobs done without fighting that weight. If you haven't already, take a few minutes and watch either Freds or Admirals videos on their rides. You'll see that, in that environment and, the methods and speeds at which those two ride at, are EXACTLY what the T-dub shines at. For the most part, the T-dub is darned efficient on fuel. If most of my riding is on pavement for a tank of fuel, I pretty much eek out, around 78-82 mpg. If I delve off road, and, depending on the terrain, the method I'm riding, speeds, hills, sand and more, that mileage can easily drop to right close to 60 mpg.

And, your recognition of the feel of a T-dub at 55 mph is right along with mine. I did not buy that bike to do that kind of speed. About 99.999% of my top end cruising speed hovers between 40-45. To me, that motor is real comfortable at that speed and not screaming for bloody murder like at 55, 60 and more. It's an opinion of course. My new A/T is quite comfortable at 65. After all, it's 1,000 cc's. So, if and when I'm gonna take a ride and think I'll be wanting to hit that kind of speed, even for a short distance, out comes the AT. If I plan on just cruising some streets at relatively low speed, like say, around 30-35 or so, and might tip-toe off road some, out comes the T-dub.

The T-dub handles like a tractor due to the bigger knobbies both front and rear but, in off road terrain, it shines quite well. Again, just realize the limitations of the T-dub, live with them, and work with them, and you'll be just fine, like the rest of us.
Scott

1 - 20 of 64 Posts