TW200 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm one of the young spry member of the forum at 53. I can still both see and touch my toes. But a late bloomer myself, I have only been riding 33 years; first bike was a Triumph Bonneville, back when they were cantankerous and unreliable. As you have been told, you are pretty much the norm here. All of the young bucks and motorcycle noobs argue amongst themselves on Yamaha TW200 World on Facebook. Way too much testosterone there for a bike with less than 20hp. Here, we prefer to have helpful and considerate conversations.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm one of the young spry member of the forum at 53. I can still both see and touch my toes. But a late bloomer myself, I have only been riding 33 years; first bike was a Triumph Bonneville, back when they were cantankerous and unreliable. As you have been told, you are pretty much the norm here. All of the young bucks and motorcycle noobs argue amongst themselves on Yamaha TW200 World on Facebook. Way too much testosterone there for a bike with less than 20hp. Here, we prefer to have helpful and considerate conversations.
Hey, I'm 66 and I can still see and touch all my toes... In my recliner.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Nah. You can ride the TW with stock gearing or a 47 tooth rear at 55 all day for years and not abuse the engine. Your body parts, however, are another story! Although others here have put in 300+ mile days my body parts signal QUIT at about 100 miles, whatever the speed I'm using. :p

Maybe that's because I'm 72. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
18,177 Posts
Nah. You can ride the TW with stock gearing or a 47 tooth rear at 55 all day for years and not abuse the engine. Your body parts, however, are another story! Although others here have put in 300+ mile days my body parts signal QUIT at about 100 miles, whatever the speed I'm using. :p

Maybe that's because I'm 72. :rolleyes:
I can make it about 50... haha ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I started on dirt bikes and motocross racing when I was a kid, into my early 20's. Then I moved into street bikes and worked my way up to litre bikes...ZRX1100, CB919. But last year I sold my street bike and got back to my roots. I now ride the TDub's cousin - an 84 XT200.
The height is right for me. I love being able to ride on or off road. Its certainly under powered, but I don't care. I love the simplistic's of the bike and I love being able to ride off road again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Good to know, I thought I was leaning on it too hard.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Happier than a retard on a field trip!!! LMFAO. That is some funny shit right there!!!
You sound like most of us. I am 56. Riding easily 45 years on and off. Sold them all at 40. At 50 got back on. I wanted to start riding again. I was going to get a motorcycle, but got a TW instead. I ride through life happier than a retard on a field trip...then my addiction came out of dormancy...then came a Bonneville...then a Springer too. If you have to explain the TW to someone they will never understand.
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm probably the opposite of most on here. I'm mid 50's and I have rode bikes all my life. I got my motorcycle license when I was 16. The last 20 years I have rode a Harley. I have had several. I haven't had a offroad bike since I was a kid. I have had several ATVs. I haven't rode my Harley much lately so I sold it. I still had the motorcycle itch so I bought a 2020 TW200.
The only thing it has in common with my Harley (Ultra) is they both have 2 wheels. The TW is weak, needs another gear, 55 feels like 95 on the big bike. I rode it 80 miles the first day I got it last week and my butt hurt worse than a 700 mile day on the big bike. My friends think I have lost my mind. My son rode it yesterday and said man that thing is slow.

All that said it is a BLAST. I live in the mountains of southwest Virginia and I am now on a mission to ride dirt roads.I really like this little bike. Just my 2 cents.
Well, my friend.... I've just turned 58 and very recently purchased my TW200. I do all kinds of riding including crossing the country on a Honda Helix 250. About to take that Helix from California to Nevada>Utah>Colorado>New Mexico>Arizona and back to California. With another two Helixes. I'll do similar riding on the TW, but will most likely trailer to an area like Moab, then tear up the trails. Yes the gearing is challenging for the open road on a TW. I changed my sprockets to 15 up front and a 49 in the rear. Still has pulling power for the steep hills but is much more settled at about 60mph.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Grammer73

Glad you survived your turn on liter bikes. I have caught flack on street bike forums for my opinion that liter sport bikes only make sense on the track or in the hands of someone with a LOT of road/track experience. I think if a modern 750 isn’t enough crazy power for you I really don’t know what is. My personal feeling is that it is a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Part of the reason the Tdub is such a blast.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I spent a lot of time in SW Virginia and it is a beautiful place. Lots of great riding there too. I think you are going to be really happy with this bike. I'm 47 and have been riding for about 20 years. I started with standards and cruisers and have owned a lot of bikes over the years. Current stable includes a road king and a road glide. Fun bikes for long hauls and highway, but for a lot of my commuting and running around town, I prefer the TW. Riding around town I'm lucky if I get my Harley into 3rd gear. Not to mention the weight and heat in stop and go traffic. The TW on the other hand is light and fun to ride (through all 5 gears!) And of course the real fun is taking it on trails. I've gotten myself in a few pickles trail riding and the nice thing about the TW is you can pick it up if you need to. I had one for a while and it got stolen. I went about 7 years without one but just felt like I was missing something in my life :) so I am back in the fold and loving every minute of it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm probably the opposite of most on here. I'm mid 50's and I have rode bikes all my life. I got my motorcycle license when I was 16. The last 20 years I have rode a Harley. I have had several. I haven't had a offroad bike since I was a kid. I have had several ATVs. I haven't rode my Harley much lately so I sold it. I still had the motorcycle itch so I bought a 2020 TW200.
The only thing it has in common with my Harley (Ultra) is they both have 2 wheels. The TW is weak, needs another gear, 55 feels like 95 on the big bike. I rode it 80 miles the first day I got it last week and my butt hurt worse than a 700 mile day on the big bike. My friends think I have lost my mind. My son rode it yesterday and said man that thing is slow.

All that said it is a BLAST. I live in the mountains of southwest Virginia and I am now on a mission to ride dirt roads.I really like this little bike. Just my 2 cents.
Awww you're just a kid , 64 . Been riding off road for 50 years from motocross to observed trials . Added my TW to the heard 4 months ago and IT SUCKS at everything BUT IT IS FUN AT EVERYTHING . Welcome aboard . OH I'm 100% with ya on the P.I.T.A. thing . I bought a pair of down hill bicycle padded underwear and they help a lot .

·
Registered
93 Posts
Get the forks better balanced (for your weight) between oil and air. Get the carb NOT lean! Gearing that works better on road (45 or 47 rear for me) and suddenly it ride and runs like the real little motorcycles you probably grew up riding!

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Grammer73

Glad you survived your turn on liter bikes. I have caught flack on street bike forums for my opinion that liter sport bikes only make sense on the track or in the hands of someone with a LOT of road/track experience. I think if a modern 750 isn’t enough crazy power for you I really don’t know what is. My personal feeling is that it is a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Part of the reason the Tdub is such a blast.

I've always been partial to the upright seating bikes. I've owned Suzuki GS's, Honda Nighthawk S, even the ZRX and CB 919 was upright. The ZRX is a detuned version of the Ninja 1100. So as you can imagine a few small changes to the ZRX turns it into a Ninja 1100...which is what I did. Pretty much the scariest bike I've ever ridden. I'm in my late 40's now and done with pure street riding. But yeah, I agree, anything over 750 is crazy, unless maybe you're on a touring bike like an ST or GoldWing, then I could see having the larger displacement.

I completely agree with your analogy...riding a slow bike fast is more fun!

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts

o get it. I believe many others dso too. I was

I get it. I started when I was 12 years old on a Yamaha YZ80 then to a DT100 because I liked to ride on the street. Had many Harley's after that, with the last one being a 2007 HD Night Rod Special. Boy, I loved that bike....all "Blacked Out" and a Beast! Now I am 54. The best thing I ever did with regard to moto-bikes is get the TW200.
Yes, it is slow as shit, needs another gear and looks like a mini-"dune-buggy" bike! However, I have the most fun on it than any other bike I have ever had. Maybe I am older now and just feel "safer" on it...???... I don't know. But I do know this.... there is always a big smile on my face when I am riding it and it makes me think of when I was younger and how much I loved motorcycles and still love motorcycles.... Isn't that what riding bikes is all about???! Love Ya Man, keep the TW and enjoy!

·
Registered
70 Posts
It brings a smile to my face to discover how many of us, who have ridden so many different bikes over so many years, have ended up with the TW as a favorite ride. It certainly brings back the fun of the small displacement bikes a lot of us grew up on. It is just a blast to ride.

·
Registered
203 Posts

21 - 40 of 64 Posts