TW200 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
You sound like most of us. I am 56. Riding easily 45 years on and off. Sold them all at 40. At 50 got back on. I wanted to start riding again. I was going to get a motorcycle, but got a TW instead. I ride through life happier than a retard on a field trip...then my addiction came out of dormancy...then came a Bonneville...then a Springer too. If you have to explain the TW to someone they will never understand.
Using the old Harley line. Excellent!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm probably the opposite of most on here. I'm mid 50's and I have rode bikes all my life. I got my motorcycle license when I was 16. The last 20 years I have rode a Harley. I have had several. I haven't had a offroad bike since I was a kid. I have had several ATVs. I haven't rode my Harley much lately so I sold it. I still had the motorcycle itch so I bought a 2020 TW200.
The only thing it has in common with my Harley (Ultra) is they both have 2 wheels. The TW is weak, needs another gear, 55 feels like 95 on the big bike. I rode it 80 miles the first day I got it last week and my butt hurt worse than a 700 mile day on the big bike. My friends think I have lost my mind. My son rode it yesterday and said man that thing is slow.

All that said it is a BLAST. I live in the mountains of southwest Virginia and I am now on a mission to ride dirt roads.I really like this little bike. Just my 2 cents.
Hey Sarv, I’m in the same boat! I’m 52, and the TW I just ordered will be the first trail bike I will have ever ridden. I’ve owned a Harley heritage for years before this and a number of sportsters. I’m an experienced back country hiker and occasional mountain biker. But that’s it. No dirt riding on anything, ever. This will be a brand new experience for me! How will our half century bodies hold up to dirtbike riding? It will be great fun to find out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm probably the opposite of most on here. I'm mid 50's and I have rode bikes all my life. I got my motorcycle license when I was 16. The last 20 years I have rode a Harley. I have had several. I haven't had a offroad bike since I was a kid. I have had several ATVs. I haven't rode my Harley much lately so I sold it. I still had the motorcycle itch so I bought a 2020 TW200.
The only thing it has in common with my Harley (Ultra) is they both have 2 wheels. The TW is weak, needs another gear, 55 feels like 95 on the big bike. I rode it 80 miles the first day I got it last week and my butt hurt worse than a 700 mile day on the big bike. My friends think I have lost my mind. My son rode it yesterday and said man that thing is slow.

All that said it is a BLAST. I live in the mountains of southwest Virginia and I am now on a mission to ride dirt roads.I really like this little bike. Just my 2 cents.
It's good to see the younger generation find their way to the TW200. I am 77 years old and ride my "big bike" (Indian Chieftain) 30 - 35K each year. Having found I was getting to old to enjoy large dual sports like my KTM950, I dumped it for the TW. It is nothing but a blast! Keeps me in the dirt and exploring the back roads. At first I thought it might be underpowered and not enjoyable, I was wrong. I put it on the bumper of my Tundra and take it to a lot of great riding areas as well a quick rides to the store. When it throws me on my ass, we can both get back up and ride away. With the covid I have not taken the long road trips this year but day rides on the TW is great for my sanity.

·
Registered
21 Posts

It's never too late to step up in the world 🌎 Beware, they tend to multiply in some places!

·
Registered
13,985 Posts
My first time on a motorcycle was in 1948 on a 1948 Harley panhead I was 14 at the time, I'm now 86 and ride almost every day in north Texas.
I own a 2008 TW200 with 31K miles and a 2006 KLR 650 with 95.4K miles
I tip my hat to you sir. Well done (and doing)!

·
Registered
1 Posts

For sure get on those dirt roads. I ride in the NC mountains on dirt roads. You can ride for hours and never see another person. The tw is an awesome bike for that. Well the tw is just awesome at trails. Paved roads are ok too. The thing is you are not limited on where you want to go. Have fun and welcome to the forum!

Edit: get you a "seat concepts" seat. It will increase your ride times by 3.
I’m another one. Big road bikes always. Sold my Triumph two years ago. I’m 70 now and I whine down the highway out of town and that damn TW pulls me into the ditch where she belongs.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
My first time on a motorcycle was in 1948 on a 1948 Harley panhead I was 14 at the time, I'm now 86 and ride almost every day in north Texas.
dude! you are inspiring! my first harley was a 1948 with a wide glide 10" over frontend.... but that was in 1970
Hey guys, I also had a 1948 Panhead. . . . . but that was in 1971 and I was 18.

1948 Harley-Davidson.jpg

·
Registered
1,897 Posts

View attachment 207702
nice looking bike!

mine was a chop. raked neck, 1948 engine block with shovel barrels and 74" crank. Sifton cam, Judson magneto and mikuni carb. it was a hardtail hotrod

Reactions: Scooterbrained

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well I think you are lying through your false teeth!

But it is a good inspiring lie that makes it seem like you are a better man than I am.

Now that I reread it, I think that maybe you really are a better man than I am, and that fairy tale might just be completely true and accurate. Keep it up.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I have really enjoyed reading everyone's responses. I am surprised, I thought I was the exception and not the rule. I guess not. This bike really does bring me back to my roots and I love riding it and I'm glad to see how many guys like me also like this bike.

·
Registered
20,746 Posts
So dj, as you can see you are in good seasoned company here. When riding a TW the 50's are the new twenties.
I remember my 50's, that's when I rode my first TW...wife said it was the only mistress I was allowed to have. That was was fine by me then but I fear wifey might be getting a bit jealous by now.
As Loghousenut's wife implies we do tend to crash a lot slower since we bounce a lot less with the passing years.
And as Supermod Collin says: "Most of us are grumpy old farts who decided to park the horse and ride a mule."
WELCOME

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’m 65, have two Harleys that cover about 10,000 miles per year and a TW. We don’t ride the TW much, but it always makes me smile when we do. Run clear (non-ethanol) gas in it, keep it on a battery tender and it should start up 2nd kick every time (or first push of the rarely used button). I don’t ever plan to sell it and know I can continue riding it when I’m too old for the Road King and Dyna. Welcome and have fun!

·
Registered
34 Posts

I am substantially older and still ride my 30-year-old TW-200. First-order a larger Clarke fuel tank so that you can ride long enough to make your sitter hurt [the almost clear tank allows you to see the fuel level or they can color match], second-order a Seat Concepts cover and foam, an improvement, or a good local upholstery shop can make a kevlar cloth seat with real foam to fit your butt, and third-order some real larger footpegs for $20 or $30 so that you can stand up and ride allowing your sitter a breather.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am 55 and like the TW200. Keep her around 45-50 on back roads. Low and slow. Bike is a rip!! Used to have an XT600. Yes it was faster but the TW is more fun on and off road.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am substantially older and still ride my 30-year-old TW-200. First-order a larger Clarke fuel tank so that you can ride long enough to make your sitter hurt [the almost clear tank allows you to see the fuel level or they can color match], second-order a Seat Concepts cover and foam, an improvement, or a good local upholstery shop can make a kevlar cloth seat with real foam to fit your butt, and third-order some real larger footpegs for $20 or $30 so that you can stand up and ride allowing your sitter a breather.
Amazon sells led lights [headlight about $25 and the tail light less than $5, leave the turn signals alone because led lights and the flasher unit cause issues] which will greatly improve battery consumption.

·
Registered
840 Posts

View attachment 207702
Brian, was that area near the area that you still live today? If so, it would be cool to post a picture of one of your T-Dubs in that exact same spot/angle and post on the forum showing same house(if still there) and such in the background.

Marty
59 on this 59th post. Been riding 52 years and I do believe the T-Dub has been about the most enjoyable bike I have had.

Reactions: Gullyjumper

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Brian, was that area near the area that you still live today? If so, it would be cool to post a picture of one of your T-Dubs in that exact same spot/angle and post on the forum showing same house(if still there) and such in the background.

Marty
59 on this 59th post. Been riding 52 years and I do believe the T-Dub has been about the most enjoyable bike I have had.
Hey Marty,

That picture was taken on the street in front of my childhood home in Delaware, Ohio. The houses in the background were our neighbors across the street. It has probably been 10+ years since I last visited Delaware but the street looked pretty much the same except for a few of the houses that had been painted different colors. I now live a long ways away, but your suggestion would be neat to do. I am sure that the houses would still be recognizable, but me - not so much!

Brian

41 - 60 of 64 Posts