TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
How do you like the Grom? They are super cool to look at. Tom
Fun little bike. In San Francisco in the 60's, some kids came around with mini-bikes which were cool, but we didn't have $ where we even had a bicycle. Then in San Diego in the 70's I saw the street legal Honda mini 70. Way cool; still no $. So when these came out in '14; had to have one. Fun to ride. But limited. Coming up the slight grade from Arches Nat'l Park toward camp; I was in 2nd gear (out of 4) to hold 35 mph. Driving it gently during break-in; using their shift points and staying between 30 to 35 mph - I got 157 MPG. Nobody will drive it like that; and on the same loop, upping to just 45 mph - it dropped to 115 mpg.

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Yeah, this is what I remembered it looked like right before launch! :D

I thought this would be the impossible. Turned out some of the 3-4 foot ledges we rode up (usually rode up) were way worse.

I'm glad we listened to Bodie and went the direction we did (Gold Bar Rim>Golden Spike (Crack)>Poison Spider. Not only was the Waterfall nasty but so was a couple parts at the end of the ride or beginning if coming up Poison Spider.

What a great time though I still don't want to ride this again tomorrow!:eek:

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Great pics and looks fun. So did everyone ride over the golden crack? What was the best technique?
Circle back a few yards from the crack, point the front wheel in the direction of the crack, grab some serious throttle while dropping the clutch and gun it. Just before reaching the crack, yank back on the handlebars, close your eyes and jump it to the other side.

For those of us with TW's however, there was a bridge of rocks down yonder in the picture we could ride across. :pIt was much easier going from right to left as you went down the rocks and this happened to be the direction we were going. There were many obstacles on the 3 trails much tougher than the crack. 4 trails if you count Rusty Nail which bypassed the waterfall Jeff and ejfranz rode and connected back into Gold Bar above or past the waterfall. They had some nice issues to contend with as well on the Rusty Nail.

They all had their nasty-ness, but I think the Golden Spike part of the trail was the most difficult. Course I say that now not having to come up the beginning part of Poison Spider. Kinda glad we went down on some of this trail for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts