TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seeing a few posts on tires. My bike has the original 25 year old tires. I notice when I push the bike around the back tire/ suspension bounces slightly. I also notice when I slow down rapidly from 60km/h my suspension bounces a bit. I'm assuming it's my old tires that have sat for many years. My father thinks the rear axle is slightly bent but it seems to spin true. They aren't cracked bad I've only rode about 2 hours on it, will they ballence themselves out? Should I replace?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
replace!
They are a hazard on the road
If you just ride trails then you could ride them until they fail

·
Registered
20,158 Posts
25 year old tires? Wow, we are going to tease you about them mercilessly...things like "park with the flat spot on top for the next 25 years you'll be O.K".

You could prop the bike up on a stand of some sort and spin the tires looking for any serious eccentricity or out-of-roundness to help evaluate health of your tires. At same time remove and inspect axle to assuage your father's concerns r.e. bent axle if you like. However unless axle's nut is very loose the axle should never rotate nor cause the "bounce".
Since it is your first motorcycle and these things can hurt you in a mishap I would argue strongly for newer, safer tires. They are much cheaper than a trip to the emergency room.

·
Super Moderator
17,932 Posts
When I first got my 87, it had the original tires. I could feel each knobby as it rolled along just like your bouncing. It's probably just the rock hard tires. The bike almost sang as it went down the road. No question about it, replace them.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Yes, replace them.

Being frugal, I like to get every bit of use out of my tires...but...

On my 2005, I thought I had steering head bearing problems, thought I had bent forks....but is wasn't.

It was only a rock-hard old front tire. A new tire made all the difference...handled like a new bike.

jb

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had a few dates with the pavement from popping wheelies on dirt bikes, not a fun time. I'm getting the bike registered so I will replace them when I do this. IMG_20150621_194556149.jpg IMG_20150621_194609372.jpg

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies I like to get every last mile out of my tires being a cheapo;)

·
Super Moderator
17,932 Posts
Thanks for the replies I like to get every last mile out of my tires being a cheapo;)

It's not worth it bro, replace them asap for your safety. We really hate losing members here. Just sayin...

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Should I replace?
Though I can't argue with the wisdom expressed by others, when I replace tires the cord is showing through. Age cracks, hard rubber, out of round / balance, I just adjust my speed down a little and continue on my way. I have yet to have one fail.

Disclaimer: This is not a recommendation. This is what I would do under the same or similar circumstances. You must decide for yourself. Good luck.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Dry rot is nothing to mess with. About four years ago, I had an old-but-unused/garaged utility trailer...had one of those like-new tires fail on the road. While my R1200GS was on it.

On the Interstate. With no spare.

First, it tore the fark out of the fender. THEN, of course I had to unhook the trailer on the side of the road...and hope to God the BMW didn't get stolen. But...point is...old tires will fail. The rubber will just split with stress, and next you know, bad stuff is happening.

If you're just going to cruise the neighborhood at low speeds, you can get away with it. Anything faster than 25, or in traffic AT ALL...change them! Trust me, you do NOT want to go down with a sudden failure in traffic! How much is your body worth to you?

·
Registered
154 Posts
So what's too old? What if they have been garaged vs. out in the weather/ sun? Dry vs. wet climate? Does it make a difference?
Pretty sure the ones on my "new to me" 07 are original. I am not a tire expert, but they seem good. Soft, no cracks or dry rot, round, balanced well...... I am sure the bike was always garaged. Plan to replace the front for safety..... Thinking to run the rear until I see signs of wear/ age...

·
Registered
762 Posts
So what's too old? What if they have been garaged vs. out in the weather/ sun? Dry vs. wet climate? Does it make a difference?
Pretty sure the ones on my "new to me" 07 are original. I am not a tire expert, but they seem good. Soft, no cracks or dry rot, round, balanced well...... I am sure the bike was always garaged. Plan to replace the front for safety..... Thinking to run the rear until I see signs of wear/ age...
Anything older than five years, aired up and mounted...too old.

Of course, individual tires MIGHT be just fine at that point. Wanna chance it?

DO you feel LUCKY?

When you're in the ER, having gone down in traffic and then had a foot run over by a NorthAmerican Van Lines tractor-trailer...think you might just have rather changed out that old front tire?

·
Registered
762 Posts
JPT, okay, you asked for it ! (you did ask for it, didn't you?) :eek: If you are trailering a BMW R1200GS, then you deserve to have a trailer tire blow out on you....just for "trailering" a bike that is supposed to be ridden.

And if some well-deserving thief came along and stole that BMW R1200GS, then good for them for doing right by the bike, by riding it to their home, and giving it a home where it will be ridden, and not trailered

:p :) ;)

Oh, and Will.....REPLACE your tires....NOW !
:violent5:

We need a SLAP icon.

As it happened, it was right in the middle of one of the most horrific times of my life. I had taken a new job in Dallas...which turned into a complete nightmare. I left after three weeks.

Thing of it was, I moved all my stuff down there BEFORE starting; and now I had to move it BACK. And no, couldn't afford a shipping company. I didn't know what the next step would be. I had just lost my UC payments...took a job and then voluntarily left it. So...had to load up the Dodge van, trailer on it; BMW on the trailer...and I was about 75 miles from my old home when that tire let go on the Interstate.

I have no patience for garage queens, either...but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

:D

EDIT: Put the smiley on. I'm not PO'd, really - just some really strong memories and flashback on that.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Anything older than five years, aired up and mounted...too old.
If your motorcycle tires can last 5 years YOU ARE NOT RIDING ENOUGH!:D

Car / truck tire have a 7 year life span.

I wish I could get a year out of a tire on the back of my WR.

So how long can I expect for the Rear of the TW?

·
Super Moderator
17,932 Posts
Depends on the roosters ;)

·
Registered
762 Posts
If your motorcycle tires can last 5 years YOU ARE NOT RIDING ENOUGH!:D
True enough. But sometimes you wind up performing a Bike Rescue.

Like that Suzuki I was looking at. Thirty-three years old and 2300 miles.

Sadly...like an old dog that lived all its life in the pet shop window...I think that one is too old.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
So how long can I expect for the Rear of the TW?
I got about 8,000, but I ride a lot of steep technical stuff and I wanted the best traction..... I probably could have gotten 10,000 if I was willing to wear out the center tread and rode mostly low angle terrain without a lot of sharp rocks. I do only about 10% pavement...if I did a lot more of that I would be around 7,000.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Rubber that old is hard and brittle and has very little grip on the road, especially if there's any wetness involved. They are definitely a safety hazard big time if you ride on a paved road. If you're only going to ride in the dirt, you may be OK. just don't go out on the pavement. They are so unsafe I wouldn't be surprised if an insurance company failed to pay a crash claim if you or the bike went down. The usual recommendation is to replace road tires every 6 or 7 years, regardless of the amount or tread left. The tires are the only thing between you and the road, so replace those ASAP.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts