TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Not as stylish as Rev'it but the mega vent panels on the chest, arms and back are so large and convenient that i wonder why so few textile jackets are designed like this. Truly a 4 season jacket. If only this jacket came in white/blue/red, i'd be more impressed.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm thinking about buying the Olympia Airglide Jacket...for the last 6 years I used the TourMaster 4 season jacket and loved it. However, last weekend I went to one of those superstore and tried quite a few different brand. I realized that my TourMaster is quite heavy and the Olympia is much lighter.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I'm thinking about buying the Olympia Airglide Jacket....
I've had the Airglide 3 since Aug. 2011. I really like Olympia gear because it is so versatile temperature wise. It is a little fussy dealing with all the zippers and Velcro to change between full three layer and single vented layer, but I can go from the low 50's to the high 90's with that one jacket. It's also nice to use the liner in camp as a windbreaker. I also have the Airglide 3 pants and they are still in good shape after 5 years.

I have the AST 2 jacket and pants for cold weather riding on the BMW, but I've never felt the need at the slower speeds of the TW to go beyond an Airglide 3. I don't think the Airglide 4 has changed much from the 3. You will like it!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
That Olympia is a nice jacket! I bought one of these in September last year on close out for $299. I've only worn it 3 times and bought it for cool/ cold weather. It's really has nice features. I was surprised how warm the aluminum thermo liner is.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Did the Tourmaster have heavy denier Cordura? My RS Taichi textile jacket is very lightweight so i often wonder how much abuse the textile would last on asphalt
I just looked it up and you're right the TourMaster Flex Jacket was 600 denier Cordura and the Olympia Airglide 4 has 500 denier Cordura. Learned something new everyday.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've had the Airglide 3 since Aug. 2011. I really like Olympia gear because it is so versatile temperature wise. It is a little fussy dealing with all the zippers and Velcro to change between full three layer and single vented layer, but I can go from the low 50's to the high 90's with that one jacket. It's also nice to use the liner in camp as a windbreaker. I also have the Airglide 3 pants and they are still in good shape after 5 years.
If I wear base layer, do you think it willl hold well below 50's?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
If I wear base layer, do you think it willl hold well below 50's?
Well, not for me for any length of time at speed. I'm old and not as resistant to cold as I was. I have gone off in the morning with a wool turtleneck and a polypro vest in the 40's, but not on the highway and with the expectation that within an hour the sun will have warmed things up to the low 50's. I do have an electric vest and if I wear that I'm OK with temps in the 40's at low speeds. I would be wearing my heaviest Tourmaster winter gloves and wool long underwear at that point. (Icebreaker....great stuff!)

By that point I'm normally wearing my heavier AST2 gear, or just blowing it off and staying by the fire. :p It all depends on how I think the day will unfold...... overcast skies or threat of precip and I would not want to be in the Airglide below 65 degrees. (Maybe with a waterproof one piece on top. The Airglide stuff will keep you dry in a light shower, but is not really suitable for heavy rain at lower temps.)

Make sure you get it a bit large if you are planning the above, the jacket gets rather bulky with all three layers and if you want more underneath you can end up like the Michelin man. It will be loose in hot weather but that's a good thing. If you get it from Revzilla they are great about exchanges. Put everything you think you would ever want underneath and if you can still swing onto the bike and reach the bars you've sized it right.;)

The other thing I like about Olympia stuff is the CE inserts. They have saved my elbows and knees more than once.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I noticed that my textile jacket is more snuggy than my mesh jacket so adding a thermo layer causes a little arm pump if i use the thick, cushy elbow pads. Wish textile could stretch a little

1 - 11 of 11 Posts