TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,238 Posts
Smile Jaw Gesture Beard News

· Registered
23,849 Posts
" Now made in Kazakhstan!"
Hope the build quality has improved from the old soviet days because they always have been interesting witrh almost a cult following. Good dog haulers too.
Believe there are still some Ural sidecar members here. Pretty loyal owners, likerly not to admit to any reliabilitry issues.
However the one chance I had for a Ural sidecar ride was sneaking away at a friend's wedding outside Lime Rock,CT where unfortunately the bike just would not run right. Sat in it, drank beer and got a grease stain instead.

With the new KLX doesn't SnowFox have a spare TW laying around? Suppose it could be repurposed.:cool:
Tire Wheel Dog Vehicle Plant

· Registered
143 Posts
I've always thought they were cool and nostagic.....and have wanted one for 30-40 years. I've read reviews on them and was realistic in that they were underpowered and needed constant attention and that's where I think it would not make you very happy. I've ridden since I was 12 and have owned just about every brand of Japanese bike and Harleys from 1940's to present, uncluding 7 Honda Trail and 7 TW's. I keep wishing someone would engineer a safe, rugged, aftermarket Sidehack Kit that could be adapted to the Honda and or Yamaha Trail models.
My opinion is that if you put your dog in it and only rode it around town for that occasional Cheese Burger or slice of pie....in might be fun, but anymore than that and the repairs and maintenance would bring you much frustration and displeasure. But..... If you absolutely convince yourself that you can't live without it.....come get with a trailer or I will offer to pick you up at the Colorado Springs Airport, take you to its location in Denver. I also can't tell from his photos but it looks like its the single wheel drive model.....and If I was looking hard for one I would want the "T" model which is Two Wheel drive. Just sayin'. AND...they take up a lot of precious garage/shop space..!

TiredIron

· Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, thank you! I agree with your assessment. Constant repairs and maintenance would make me nuts. When I need work done I have to hook up the horse trailer and schlep everything to Arizona, which is time intensive, not to mention expensive.

I would love to tour with my doggy! One of these days...

· Premium Member
356 Posts
I have an older URAL 650. It needs maintenance at the highest rate of any of my bikes, but I love it anyway. My Goldwing w/ hack gets used more however.

The new URALs have improved much from what owners are reporting; but DAMN, they’ve gotten expensive. A good BMW-hack rig would be right up your alley @Snowfox. They hit the used market from time-to-time.

· Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have an older URAL 650. It needs maintenance at the highest rate of any of my bikes, but I love it anyway. My Goldwing w/ hack gets used more however.

The new URALs have improved much from owners are reporting; but DAMN, they’ve gotten expensive. A good BMW-hack rig would be right up your alley @Snowfox. They hit the used market from time-to-time.
I will check out the Beemer-hack rig. It sounds so cool!

· Premium Member
356 Posts

· Premium Member
2004 TW200, 3000 miles
99 Posts
Hard pass.
I had a mid '80s model Cossack Dnepr with a chair, back in the 90s. I couldn't tell you how many times i ended up underneath the thing on right handers, or going straight when the road went left. Horrendously underpowered, it was a bitch to start & even harder to keep started & i sweat the thing went through more oil than gas.
But, it was camo, I was in my early 20s & I wanted to mount a machine gun on it.
I do remember not being able to cram enough beer in it to keep the chariot on the floor, although God knows I tried....

It was still an upgrade from my previous MZ TS250 though.

· Premium Member
5,002 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
I had a 2012 Gearup that was a blast when it ran. Unfortunately the previous owner had leaned out the carbs and failed to mention this when we bought it. Holed both cylinders and that was the end of the fun.

The later fuel injected models are much more reliable but the cost is going up quickly. They definitely are more labor intensive than more modern bikes. Was quite the learning curve. Would like another sometime but it isn’t now.

· Super Moderator
2004 TW200
476 Posts
Here is one for you Ms. Fox.
You and the favorite K9 would be styling on / in this.

I actually worked with two guys that had HD's with sidecars. One was a coworker that had a factory-built HD and purchased it with a sidecar set up from the factory, and the other, actually my boss, has an HD RoadKing that he, added a sidecar.
They are not the easiest rig to ride, but fun. The motorcycle experience is the same but the navigating skills are completely different.
Uses a lot of the power to push the side hack also. MPG goes to hell. Tire wear accelerates tremendously. I think it would be cool to have a sidecar rig.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts