TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im headed to pick up my first TW
Borrowed a nice trailer from my friend to make it easy
Being it is brand new,should I coat metal parts in something to keep from rusting?
Anything I can spray on it to make mud come off easier?
Never owned a new bike before,thanks for any tips to keep it clean

·
Super Moderator
18,136 Posts
:applouse: :wav: :eagerness:

·
Super Moderator
18,136 Posts
Member Steve Mark Lay tried something recently and If I remember right, it was a good product and made cleaning easier. Perhaps he will see this thread and share with us what it was.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Welcome. I work with Boy Scouts, and often we use this saying on campouts: If you're not having fun, you're breaking the rules. I don't think you'll be breaking the rules when riding, tweaking, cleaning or modifying your TW.

For a coating, I dont' know that I'll do anything to my 2013, other than keep it clean. We'll see, I haven't gotted it very dirty, yet, but will this summer. I have seen products that are amazing to see the promotion videos. Keep in mind, they put their best showing out there -- so it may not be a fabulous as shown. Go to a search engine on your web browser and enter "water phobic" in the search box. There are a couple of them available. It clearly states to not use this on electronics. That said, If I were to ever disassemble the bike, I may just get some of this spray, or just be very cautious when spraying. And likely, I would do a test by spraying the underside of the fenders.

Don't break the rules.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
WD40...it's cheap and it works...i have a buddy that sprays his dirt bikes down and the mud comes off easy...i think he sprayed the engine down as well...myself i don't think i would spray it down maybe just get a jug of it and use a rag and wipe it on parts so you don't get it on anything you don't want it on...but i agree try it on the underside of your fenders first to see if it works for you

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thanks, Ryan. I'll try it. Probably a lot less money than the water phobic stuff.

Reactions: Point37

·
Registered
196 Posts
Welcome to TW ownership :D
I had my TW from brand new too, is nice to have it from new :cool:, & try & keep it looking like that
From owning various makes of bikes, we felt Yamaha don't put as much paint on the frame as some manufacturers, so I painted over all the welds with the same colour & I really feel it has helped
All year round, when I wash it I put polish on the tank, forks & swing arm, & Armoral on plastics, fork gaitors, hoses, cables,seat, & apply plenty of WD40 (get a 5litre tub & WD40 applicator, works out cheaper than aerosols & is easier to apply) to the engine & wheels especially (don't get it on the tyres obviously)
In the winter when there's salt on the roads I brush grease on the chrome mirrors, bare bolt heads, the foot levers & the kickstart & any other bare looking bits that are likely to rust
I've had to repaint the inside of the swing arm, & bash plate a couple of times tho:( but after 16 1/2 years of using it all year round suppose I can't complain ;)

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Nice bike. After cleaning my bike I always spray the engine, under fenders, front of swingarm area around where the shock mounts with wd40. Dirt comes off alot easier and should help keep it from rusting. I do this on atvs also. Menards usually has the best price on the wd40 jugs.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I gotta tell ya...Im so glad I chose to buy the bike from DHY in Deptford,NJ
The customer service is like nothing I've ever experienced.
Shared tons of info with me and discounted some gear I bought and threw in some free shirts
The show room and shop are immaculate!
Hats off to those guys and gals

Reactions: Prime

·
Super Moderator
18,136 Posts
Quite a pitch for DHY Holdnon.. ;)

Bettcha if you showed them this post and told them you sent it around the world, you'd get a 20% discount next time you go in for advertising for them... :D

I gotta tell ya...Im so glad I chose to buy the bike from DHY in Deptford,NJ
The customer service is like nothing I've ever experienced.
Shared tons of info with me and discounted some gear I bought and threw in some free shirts
The show room and shop are immaculate!
Hats off to those guys and gals

·
Super Moderator
18,136 Posts
O yeah, sweet bike bro!

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
So that's what my engine and exhaust is suppose to look like. I had forgotten!:p

Really cool, I'm enjoying your excitement.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts