TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

On the ride of the road out of gas....

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  chevy_lifted_4x4 
#1 ·
I went for a pretty good ride today. 120.5 miles is exactly what my tw gets from full to empty. I know this because I'm on the side of the road waiting for my wife to bring me a gas can. I had the petcock turned to on, and I'm about 10 miles from home where it died on me. I turned the valve to reserve, and still nothing. I look inside my tank, and totally empty.....then I notice the little tube that sticks up for reserve is laying in the bottom of the tank on its side.......blehhh.

#4 ·
I'm guessing that it was the main filter that fell off or you would not have run out. The reserve screen is shorter than the main filter. That kinda sucks though. Get home safe.

#5 ·
The reserve never did work on my 03 TW. Petcock up or down didn't matter she would run dry.I got a see through Clark and now I don't need no stinkin' reserve.I can tell at a glance just how much gas I have left.I consider it a gas tank and gas gauge all in one.

#8 ·
Screen failure is another reason to add a little 45d filter on the fuel line.

If you need to replace the whole pet**** just get a new oem one, they are under 20 bucks.

For those that don't want to change tanks. A tool tube with a quart of fuel in it is cheap insurance.

Just look for a quart bottle made for backpacking stove fuel.

#10 ·
Mine been that way now for a couple years. I need to just break down and go get a new one. I have run dry 2 times once at 156 miles and once at 136. but I do carry my kolpin gas 1.25 on the back of my cyclerack.

#11 ·
I went for a pretty good ride today. 120.5 miles is exactly what my tw gets from full to empty. I know this because I'm on the side of the road waiting for my wife to bring me a gas can...
I know I shouldn't laugh at your expense, but I'm still chuckling. I'll blame it on your witty re-telling of the event.

I almost had the same thing happen to me today. After doing a little over 80 miles yesterday, I decided to head to the gas station that sells non-ethanol gas a couple of towns over (about 15 miles away). It's all two-lane highway so I get there pretty quick. I even passed a pickup with a mysteriously shaped load under a tarp. I pull into the parking lot to find shopping bags over the unleaded pump handles. Crap. Oh well, I'll head to the main highway and hit the gas station there. So it's a few miles out of the way but I get there no problem. This time though, I don't even need to pull into parking lot to see the "CLOSED" sign hand painted on the boarded up window. Double crap. Now it's about ten miles to the next gas station. I hit the road and make it sure enough. I pumped 1.69 gallons.

On a bright note, my Kolpin gas pack came today.

#12 ·
Apparently the screens and intake tubes for the main fuel supply outflow fall off with some frequency. I seem to recall someone on the previous forum who had found 3 or so screens missing or non operational out of the 5 or 6 that he had examined. It pays to check to see whether you indeed have a reserve or are using it all at one time(screen and tube laying on the bottom of the tank. Yes petcock assemblies are cheap. Tom

#13 ·
I actually did buy one of those stupid ebay petcocks a while back because mine was getting really hard to turn. I got it in the mail and didn't attempt to install it for about a month. When I did finally take it out of the package I found that it didn't even fit on my tank. It sits way too close to the edge of the tank and wont clear. I would have bought an oem one if I would have known they were so cheap. Had to learn the hard way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.