TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
View attachment 196650

we will be headed across to Saskatchewan ( not first choice ) down into Montana, Idaho, Oregon and Washington. most likely will be in your neighborhood Admiral, will text
Sounds good. I'll leave the light on for ya, you just gotta tell me which day to leave it on! haha.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, we made it to Saskatoon, i have never seen so much fenced land in my life. alberta and saskatchewan are all fenced, it's hard to find a place to pull over for a pee. oh...give the BLM lands, please!! on top of the lonely flat lands, there is the new truck, anyone want a 2019 f350 gas, what a fuel pig, this will be it's last trip. at least through all this i get to stare at my bike on the front bumper and dream my many flat land miles away, thinking of more fun times coming up, starting in Montana

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
My friend has the diesel version of that monster, a few years older. He loves it and based on the size of that thing is pretty pleased with fuel usage. But he's not towing or hauling anything near or close to what you are.
My Lord... that is such an incredibly beautiful set-up. Have fun.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
If you trade it in, take a good look at a dodge with the cummins engine. I was looking for a 1ton and wound up with a 5500, so glad I did. Bigger brakes and with the 18500lb rear axle I don't have to worry about what I put on it or two behind it. With all that I put on it and pull a 35ft 5th wheel it still get about 13-14 mpg.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My friend has the diesel version of that monster, a few years older. He loves it and based on the size of that thing is pretty pleased with fuel usage. But he's not towing or hauling anything near or close to what you are.
My Lord... that is such an incredibly beautiful set-up. Have fun.
thanks, we are

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you trade it in, take a good look at a dodge with the cummins engine. I was looking for a 1ton and wound up with a 5500, so glad I did. Bigger brakes and with the 18500lb rear axle I don't have to worry about what I put on it or two behind it. With all that I put on it and pull a 35ft 5th wheel it still get about 13-14 mpg.
that sounds good, but it still has to fit in the garage

·
Registered
803 Posts
yes it is, but ever getting into 6th is just a dream
You don't need 6th when towing...it's just a second overdrive gear. I lock out 6th when I'm towing...saves all the random upshifting and downshifting.
What's even more "fun" is to use the Manual mode, and shift gears as if you were driving a standard...so much nicer when pulling hills. Just keep the revs between 2500 and 3500 and you have all the power you need.
I've gotten up to 14 mpg while towing between Clinton and 100 Mile House.

Diesels have their place but that place isn't in my driveway anymore. The newer diesels are unserviceable by the average backyard grease-monkey...the parts are expensive...and unless you're towing 10,000 or more, it's pointless to own one.
I've heard rumours in other forums (I did own two diesels) that the marine industry will be switching over to ULSD which will put added strain on the supply, so you can expect diesel prices to increase.
For the sake of an extra 10 mpg...the overall cost of ownership didn't make sense for me anymore.
My 6.2 will EASILY tow my trailer, my boat and everything else I need for a 2-week vacation...and eat up any hill I encounter. For the number of miles I tow in a year, the price of gas is irrelevant.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this truck will be just like Cinderella's magic carriage, the next time ford has employee pricing, this truck will turn into a 2020 with 6.7 and a 10 speed with 3.52 gears and a lot less electronic bells and whistles. i like all the benefits of the diesel, including the fact that i can pick and choose between different size fuel tanks, which i can't do with this gas engine making the old saying correct " a ford will pass everything but a gas station "

1 - 14 of 14 Posts