Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Yikes!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Yup, happens to me all the time. Going too fast for a corner and can't get the dang TW to turn any sharper! Into the bushes, mud, or whatever other un-pleasantries are off the trail or road. It took me a while, but I learned to slow down when I see a corner.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Yup, happens to me all the time. Going too fast for a corner and can't get the dang TW to turn any sharper! Into the bushes, mud, or whatever other un-pleasantries are off the trail or road. It took me a while, but I learned to slow down when I see a corner.
I call BS! I have ridden with you enough to know that there are two things you NEVER do. Slow down and wash your TW.

Tom:p

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Target fixation. Look where you're going to crash and sure enough, you will. LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO and the bike will go there, possibly avoiding an accident.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Target fixation. Look where you're going to crash and sure enough, you will. LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO and the bike will go there, possibly avoiding an accident.
Can't be target fixation, my eyes are closed.:D I was just being sarcastic in my previous post, the guy saying his steering locked. Most of my crashes are in the 0-5 mph range, usually while goofing around in the yard.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was really relating it to the guy who went over the cliff... ;) Not you bro.

Reactions: scotti158 and Ken

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
steering locked up....there's a classic
First thing I thought??? WTF? Steering locking up, or he just plain failed to adjust...? However, he is one lucky dude...

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
515 Posts
Guarantee that the fellow never attended a Ride Well Motor Cycle riding course.. With that Cycle he should have done the advanced class.
Target fixation! He did not know what to do...

Jt

Reactions: littletommy

·
Super Moderator
5,312 Posts
He went in too fast - hit the anchors - the bike straightened up and took him off road

Pilot error

This is the problem with twin forks, when you compress them, they both find the same level, inevitably sending the bike in a straight line (been there, done that, thrown away the t-shirt)

To a new rider, that can feel like the steering has locked up - but the truth is, he gave the bike no choice

(Simple physics) ............

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
That video is a good example of why not to overcook one’s corner entry speed unless one leaves enough reserves of willpower and skill to add more power to tighten up the corner. Shutting down power always tends to open up the turning radius. La audace! Being timid and trying to be safe by slowing down too late can send one off into the weeds. I still make this mistake occasionally.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts