TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Man that fuel bottle cap positioned over the muffler gives me the willies. Things vibrate on long rides, and a trickle of gasoline on that muffler would make fire works beyond any desires. I can't see what holds the bottle on but I'd want it one: secure, and two: cushioned so aluminum does not wear against other metal with vibration. I realize you are also illustrating the tool tube and the gas can would be better off there, but I've seen too many of those tool tubes secured with nylon wire ties and they just don't last to my satisfaction. Gas is scary stuff and all possible cautions should be considered.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Man that fuel bottle cap positioned over the muffler gives me the willies.
I believe the bottle lives inside the agri-tube. The tube cover is laying on the ground and the MSR bottle is just kind of sitting there for the photo. That's what I get out of it...

I certainly can't chastise...I carry my spare fuel in my tail box in a few 500ml plastic bottles. Not pop bottles, but some kind of juice that my daughter bought...the plastic is quite a bit thicker. Thicker or not, I'll still likely end up on the Darwin awards....

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Here are updated photos, the bottle is on the left side of the bike and the exhaust is on the right, I really don't think there's any risk of fire or explosion. If so, well, Kaboom!! View attachment 129041 View attachment 129049
Just make sure you inspect your tool tube on the inside towards the tire once in a while. My tool tube wasn't as secure as I thought and the tire wore a hole in the plastic tool tube. This was because the tool tube wasn't as securely attached as it should have been and got pushed inward.

·
Registered
19,406 Posts
Those tool tubes are great. Agrisupply’s shipping charges may seem expensive but if you order several and share with friends it dilutes the shipping charge per tube. I ordered 4 last time and shared two with a buddy.

I distrust just the simple band clamps for securing the tool tube since even very tight they permit the tube to pendulum a bit and get into the tire as Admiral points out.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I have that tube but use it for tools and other stuff. The MSR could fit but since it is already holding a flammable liquid I see no good reason to further enclose it.
If it's gasoline and not in my fuel tank... I want to see it.

I've gone with the little Wolfman carry-all. Owned this before owning the TW so it goes from bike-to-bike if need be.
On the TW I attach it to the Cyclerack. It's spendy at I think $40-$45 (more than the MSR container actually costs) but built real tough. I've had it for about 5 years and it's like new. I have never had to use it myself but have bailed out others on the road & trail a few times.

On the BMW's I use it for water containers rather than fuel on long rides.

IMG_5655.JPG

IMG_5656.JPG

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Ha, yeah, it's pretty custom. Any milkman would be proud of me.
That KTM is to die-for. Nice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts