TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I came up with the concept of the gorilla rack the intention was to leave the bulk behind and streamline things for the average daily outing. With that I also left behind the ability to use my panniers. I dont intend to use them every day, but for the sake of overnighting I figured I needed something. I wanted it to be an addition to my rack that would add on easily. So here it is.

Untitled by dolphaxel, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
That looks great. I was worried about the square edges but there is a bag on it. I was going to make some out of aluminum angle and bolt it together since I can't weld.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will take this opportunity to encourage folks not to be apprehensive to fabricate. With minimal equipment you can make some great stuff and with welders what they are it doesnt take a doctor to weld things together.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Got an $89 Harbor Freight welder that won't win any prizes, tacked some thin sheet metal together with spot welds for a non-TW application. Maybe it'll work better on thicker metal.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I will take this opportunity to encourage folks not to be apprehensive to fabricate. With minimal equipment you can make some great stuff and with welders what they are it doesnt take a doctor to weld things together.
What kind of welder do you suggest for standard stock one might get from a regular home improvement store?

·
Super Moderator
17,631 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What kind of welder do you suggest for standard stock one might get from a regular home improvement store?
Im a big fan of quality stuff and I swear by miller welders, but i would recommend one of these little kits for the every day guy. not super powerful but affordable and you can do a lot with a little machine like this. I would steer anyone away from flux core wire welding.
Lincoln Electric Weld Pak 140 HD Wire-Feed Welder-K2514-1 - The Home Depot

What is the device just above and to the rear of the tire? First photo.
yes theyre a bit pricey and yes theyre worth it.
PRODUCTS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts