TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a similar thread recently regarding my 93 TW200 that I cannot get to run. After cleaning the carb twice thoroughly and only getting minor improvement I decided to buy a new OEM carb as I'd rather ride it than wrench it. It arrived yesterday and I installed it today ... And it still won't start!!!!!!! The mystery to me is that bike ran fine when I bought it. However I have had noting but trouble with it ever since. I'm completely stumped - I have a newer battery, reset the valves, new OEM carb, new plug, fuel filter and clean fresh gas. I cannot get it to start with the electric starter, it will only kick start and then it just sputters for a second and dies. I checked the plug and it sparks. So what do I do next? Replace the coil? CDI? Where's this gremlin hiding?!?

Hope someone out there can given me some clues. I'm stumped and frustrated.

·
Super Moderator
17,632 Posts
Once it starts, does it keep running if you hold the throttle open a little bit? If so, it may just need to have the idle adjusted higher...?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
It ran fine when you bought it... when? How much have you ridden it since? Was it ridden regularly or stored before you bought it? "However, I have had nothing but trouble ever since." What were those troubles prior to now where it just won't start?

I would read this: http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/10798-how-bring-sitting-bike-back-life.html and go back to basics:

AIR - filter condition, air box condition, mice make a home?, air leaks between air box and carb, air leaks from carb to engine

FUEL - Age, condition, system venting, flow= hoses, tank rust, petcock screens, petcock valve

IGNITION - Plug, fuses, wiring checks for mice chews or grounding issues or corrosion, coil, cdi, stator, etc.; also, these small batteries can go crap and are cheap enough to replace whenever suspect.

COMPRESSION - Test cylinder compression with wide open throttle on a fully charged battery.

I've heard of a few stator issues on early 90s bikes. The electrical system was one of the improvements made in the 2001+ model changes, probably for a reason. If you haven't already, download a copy of the service manuals here: http://tw200forum.com/forum/tw200-classifieds/14764-%2A%2A%2Afound%2A%2A%2Awtb-original-oem-service-manual-2001-newer.html#post181107 Keep at it, and good luck!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'd say it's probably an electrical problem. Could possibly also be valves or your exhaust rotting out. But if ur getting constant spark when you use the starter, it might be gas/petcock

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi LittleTommy - thanks for the reply, you are a real asset to this forum.

I can't even get it started now. After I put the new carb in I tried to start it with the electric start - no luck, so I kicked it several times and it sputtered a few times, but never really ran. I did try to increase the idle and it didn't do anything, and also rolled on the throttle, still nothing. I even sprayed starter fluid into the air intake and nothing. I then took the plug out, and sprayed starter fluid in the engine - tried to start it, nothing.

While I had the spark plug out I tested the spark plug again - at first I didn't see any spark, but then it did spark, but it seemed small, although I am not sure how much spark it should have. I cleaned the plug (its brand new) - nothing.

Like I said I just can't figure this out - has to be something electrical seems to me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Will - I cleaned the petcock and also checked the valves, they were a little out of spec and so I adjusted them. Exhaust is new, gas is fresh, tank is clean. I agree it has to be electrical - but where?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Larry - I did read the referenced article and tried all of the suggestions - still no success. I also checked the AIR items you noted - no issues. I am going to work through the ignition issues you noted and hope to ID the problem. Been frustrating to say the least, especially considering how well the bike ran when I bought it. I bought the bike, brought it home, took it off the truck and started it and rode it all over the farm that afternoon and evening giving my wife and kids rides on it as well - it never missed a beat. I parked it in the barn that night, next morning I started it up and rode it around for about 15 minutes. It ran fine. About an hour later I went back to ride it and it wouldn't start with the electric start, but it did start with the kicker. It ran for a few minutes but died when I gave it throttle and thereafter it has not run correctly or at all. When I took the carb off the first time it was dirty, and I cleaned it thoroughly. I was able to get it started and even rode it but it would die when I shifted into 3rd and then it wouldn't start again unless I let it sit for a long time. So I took the carb off again and cleaned it one more time. Noticed that the floats needed to be reset so I made that adjustment. Put it all back together and started it - it ran for a few minutes and then died. I then replaced the old carb with a new OEM carb and it still won't start - maybe a slight sputter buts thats it.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Man, that sucks. Keep at it, and keep us up to date and we'll help out where we can.

·
Registered
19,202 Posts
Good description of symptoms, this is the quality of info necessary to help us help you. Others should be so accurate.

I also suspect electrical gremlins, possibly a failing source coil gave the initial symptoms of failing while warm, as if heat expansion creates an open circuit. This could also account for the weak/erratic spark you get now. Have you tested resistance with a quality multimeter the way the manual describes for coil, cdi, stator source and pulse coils? Unfortunately cool stator windings may show continuity but an open circuit once hot. Inspect CDI and voltage regulator cases ( bottom side) for obvious signs of massive overheating?

Good luck, I think I have a similar problem.:(

·
Super Moderator
17,632 Posts
Bro, how about checking the battery connections real good and charging it up and also pop in a brand new gapped plug? Have you looked and wiggled the coil wiring around, checked the plug wire, etc?

·
Registered
385 Posts
if you pour some gas in the plug hole, refit the plug and press the start button it should start, rev up and die…this should happen regardless of having the carb fitted, if this didnt happen as you mentioned it is electrical…from experience i would say cdi, i have have several that have just packed up over night, 1 i bought running, used it for couple of days then stripped it, rebuilt it over a couple of months and it would do exactly the same as yours when i tried to start it…after wasting 4 days swapping and rejeting carbs i swapped cdis from another bike and it started first time and ran perfectly..i have no explanation of how or why this happens but i think it something you should try if not just to cross it off the list.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I wish you the best in your repairs. I would be ULTRA frustrated. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts