TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 89 wt200 all stock and the gentleman said it runs great with no problems. It will not start in gear with the clutch in and the kick stand up. It will not lock the handle bars in any position. After a long warm up or after riding if it is idleing and I shift to low it will stall. I have to give in gas to keep it from stalling. On the road it shifts and runs great. Also I added some seafoam and dry gas, took it for a 12 mi run, but it didn't help.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Check to see if you have to take up the clutch a bit so it is not partially engaged when you put it in gear. Would check that first. You should be able to put it in first and pull the clutch in and roll it with the engine off. Do this after it has run a bit and has been put in gear as the clutches will bond slightly when sitting overnight.

If that is not the issue, you might adjust the idle up a bit.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I just bought a 89 wt200 all stock and the gentleman said it runs great with no problems. It will not start in gear with the clutch in and the kick stand up.Are you saying it will not crank with the electric start or that it cranks but will not fire ?? It will not lock the handle bars in any position.Steering locks can be a little touchy try a little lube in the tumbler and down at the locking lug and patiently move the bars left and right slowly until it engages After a long warm up or after riding if it is idleing and I shift to low it will stall. I have to give in gas to keep it from stalling. On the road it shifts and runs great. Also I added some seafoam and dry gas, took it for a 12 mi run, but it didn't help.Probably needs the pilot jet replaced (they are hard to "clean") and might as well replace the needle seat and bowl gasket while you are in there
Welcome to the forum

·
Super Moderator
4,854 Posts
Sounds like the clutch needs adjusting, as suggested, take up some more slack on the cable.

“Sea Foam” – or any other carb cleaner needs time to work – may take a couple of days before you’ll know if you need to clean out the carb – wait a few days and see.

The steering lock on the TW is a bit of an odd-ball. The manual http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/70-service-repair-manuals.html says “push the key in before trying to engage the lock”. Took me a couple of goes to work it out, but I got there in the end. By “push the key in”, they don’t mean “insert the key” – they mean “Push the key down – release pressure – and turn to lock”

Welcome to the cruise – (TW’s are funny buggers – but easy to work on and work around – just keep asking questions, and we’ll keep answering)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It will not crank. Nothing. Not a sound. And I know about pushing the key in because I had and have other bikes with the same setup. I will try the clutch. Thanks for all the info so far. I like the bike and I will get it humming like a fine watch.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
My dumb question here may help alhunter or not. Several years ago I broke my entire clutch perch. If I wanted to ride that weekend I had to buy a less expensive clutch perch from a YZ80 or something. Dealer would have had to order in the TW perch. The YZ perch didn't have the clutch safety switch so I taped off the ends. My temporary clutch perch is going on 7 years now.

So, what I don't know or don't remember, was the TW able to start in gear if the clutch was pulled in (kickstand up) given all other safety switches were working correctly? Right now, mine will not start unless it's in neutral and will not start in gear at all, unless push starting. I just can't remember if I could start in gear with clutch pulled in when I had the proper operating clutch perch.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
My dumb question here may help alhunter or not. Several years ago I broke my entire clutch perch. If I wanted to ride that weekend I had to buy a less expensive clutch perch from a YZ80 or something. Dealer would have had to order in the TW perch. The YZ perch didn't have the clutch safety switch so I taped off the ends. My temporary clutch perch is going on 7 years now.

So, what I don't know or don't remember, was the TW able to start in gear if the clutch was pulled in (kickstand up) given all other safety switches were working correctly? Right now, mine will not start unless it's in neutral and will not start in gear at all, unless push starting. I just can't remember if I could start in gear with clutch pulled in when I had the proper operating clutch perch.
This. Check your clutch safety switch. I bypassed mine along with the kickstand switch, I've come close to dropping the bike when I push the starter but not yet...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I played with the clutch for about 20 min. then I checked the kick stand switch and found it was sticking. Took it off and oiled and now everything is working as it should. Still think it needs a tune up. I will keep adding seafoam to see if it helps before taking it to a bike shop. Oiled the handlebar lock but still no luck. Will give it time to work in. A big thanks to all you guys for the help. It's great to have all of you to take the time to help a stranger. May the gods smile on you!!

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Are you shutting it off, depressing the key, letting it come up, then twisting it more to the left? Mine was sticky at first, since no one seemed to use it before I did. I almost had to let go of the key and let it rise after depressing it...before I could turn it more to the left and lock it. Make sure you are one way or the other all the way before trying it.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
This. Check your clutch safety switch. I bypassed mine along with the kickstand switch, I've come close to dropping the bike when I push the starter but not yet...
I would consider mine bypassed already as I detached in when I changed to the non TW clutch perch.

What I want to know from somebody who still has there clutch safety switch attached and working, does the TW start in any gear with the clutch pulled in.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I would consider mine bypassed already as I detached in when I changed to the non TW clutch perch.

What I want to know from somebody who still has there clutch safety switch attached and working, does the TW start in any gear with the clutch pulled in.
Mine would start in gear with the clutch pulled in as long as the kickstand was up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Check the side stand switch [bypass it by putting a joiner cable between both wires]

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Mine will start while in gear with clutch handle depressed, if and only if my battery is strong enough to spin the engine fast enough. It always will turn the starter its just sometimes with not enough speed to generate spark. If at first it doesn't start, I shift to neutral. Tom

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Should start in any gear with clutch pulled in and kickstand up.

Thanks all for the confirmation.

TW starting in gear with original clutch safety connected/working is the only part I needed conformation in my case. My engine starts fine in neutral, not in gear w/clutch pulled in as I don't have the TW clutch & safety.

My kickstand switch works fine, I was just concerned with the clutch safety.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
It seems we are still talking apples and oranges. The safety should keep the starter from turning (i.e. nothing). The drag of the clutch can slow the starter enough to deprive the engine of spark. Starter turns, but ineffectively. Both equal won't start, but causes and fixes are totally different. Just trying to clarify the issue for folks. May you engine always start when you want it. Tom

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same with mine this weekend . Faulty clutch switch . Cut the wires and joined them together , covered with insulation tape and cable tied them to the wiring harnes on the handelbar . 3 minute Job

1 - 18 of 18 Posts