TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Open carry in Utah, I can carry with my CCW from AZ in UT and in AZ you can open carry and conceal carry now no permit if you are not a convicted dirt bag.

Now can I open carry in Utah? I would like to open carry my western holster and handgun on the trail. I just might have to hire a lawyer like Borneo.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Open carry in Utah, I can carry with my CCW from AZ in UT and in AZ you can open carry and conceal carry now no permit if you are not a convicted dirt bag.

Now can I open carry in Utah? I would like to open carry my western holster and handgun on the trail. I just might have to hire a lawyer like Borneo.

Who's gun will you be borrowing to carry? You really should consider getting one of your own.

Tom

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who's gun will you be borrowing to carry? You really should consider getting one of your own.

Tom
I am not going to Moab just trying to help out the lucky ones that will make the trip.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would like this 154.jpg and my Ruger handgun.

·
Registered
485 Posts
. Remember, a wise man doesn't give away too much knowledge.
Funny you say this because a very good native American friend of mine once told me the same thing in a different way, never let the enemy know the number of arrows in your quiver.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The key word is Open Carry!

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do not plan on running into Patton and his army I just would like to ride and take my leather with me.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think Borneo understands my popgun and leather.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to disappear back to Deadwood on Amazon prime later.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I agree i think its also respectful for the people around you that might be uncomfortable with guns that they don't see one dangling from your hip, my brother open carries in AZ, and he gets bad attention for it. I don't know why he does it but it even makes me uncomfortable. out on the trail is one thing but in cracker barrel, please.
Best to conceal it even if it's legal to open carry. People get spooked when they see a gun and cops sometimes overreact. The biggest reason I don't open carry is the element of surprise. If bad guys threaten your group who do you think they will eliminate first? The guy with the gun. Uniformed police can't hide the fact of who they are so it behooves them to carry a big unconcealable gun. In this way their mere appearance is a deterrent to crime. Plainclothes police always carry concealed so they don't give the game away before they can strike. Remember, a wise man doesn't give away too much knowledge.

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
www.handgunlaw.us/states/utah.pdf -Cro's link here was very helpful but also confusing. I thought I had digested it all well and understood what Utah said it had a right to require/ restrict. Then read end where Utah recognizes UNIFORM LAW and states it has not right to require/restrict anything based on second ammendment rights. Double speak to me thats why we laymen need lawyers to interpret.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I don't carry handguns open. It is legal here, but too many cops that are to immature, insecure, and dependent on a badge and gun for feelings of power and control. Remember, all it takes is one liar to ruin the rest of your life.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
There was another thread on this a while back with the correct explanation. Unfortunately I don't know where. Basically if you are one of the reciprocal states with Utah, you can carry as you wish. If not, as stated above, two steps from fire. Personally, I think open carry gives away one of the biggest advantages I have.

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
Seems like Utah's firearm permits aren't cheap and must be renewed in person annually. I imagine there is a high level of non-compliance as a result.. At least the state generously defines "unloaded firearm" as one being two actions from being able to fire a live cartridge. Outside of a legal context I would call that a safe but loaded firearm. If an officer asked me "Is that gun loaded?" I would be hard pressed to say "No" if it had a seated full magazine or if my six-shooter had 4 cartridges ready to go. I would elaborate.
And if I step out of my car at the gas station it sounds like I had better first unload, lock gun in container, then lock container to vehicle somehow. Challenging to follow letter of the law but probably never an issue day to day unless one is misbehaving.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Actually, people here in Indiana regularly take a class at the Gander Mountain on a Saturday morning and fill out the provided paperwork and mail it in. Utah CCW comes in the mail. They issue to non-residents, and their reciprocal agreements are far more extensive than Indiana which doesn't require any classes or anything. So, many Indiana residents have Utah permits too, which allows concealed carry in more states, especially Ohio, which is a border state but refuses to recognize Indiana permits. I've been lobbying for years for non-recognition of Ohio until they reciprocate.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
When my dad was training me in hand guns he used to say "never get it out unless you are going to use it" and "a good guard dog never growls until it bites"

·
Registered
814 Posts
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and United Church of Christ has complied with 76-
10-530 and has informed the Utah BCI that they do not want firearms brought into any of their Churches. So
their Churches are off limits in Utah.

If you are carrying and need to get to heaven.........just saying =]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts