TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, as probably most of the members on this site have a concealed carry permit. Recently in my part of Virginia I am seeing a bit more of Open Carry which is quite legal in Virginia though you wouldn't have a clue if you were Northern Va. whatever types. My question is: Should I start to carry "Open" or should I stay "Concealed". Interested in your feedback.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Keep and Conceal....the less you are noticed the better...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've always been told, by folks who know, "Never show your hand." Keep it concealed. If you're out walking your own land / place, or if you're hiking in the wilderness, open carry is good, quicker to get to if you need it. JMHO m.
Appreciate and this is kinda what I'm thinking, but with the way shit is going I'm not quite as sure as before.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm of the "whatever floats your boat" opinion on this one. If it's legal and you want to show off what you got then by all means show it off.
I'm not too freaked out if I see a person packing their gun on their hip. I do get a little panicky if they have a mask on and they are literally carrying their gun into the bank and such....
Just this last weekend when The Admiral and I were out riding we stopped to open a gate and some folks in a truck came up behind us and the gal got out to close the gate for us....I didn't notice she was packing but The Admiral did......I was too in awe of her fiery red hair to notice her big gun strapped to her hip.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I suppose I should keep my eyes at...eye level and then I would have noticed she had fiery red hair. Instead, I'm look'in below to see what kind of heat she was pack'in! (Forgive me Father for I have sinned...):p

I'm in the don't need to show off and keep it concealed boat. However, it doesn't bother me either way and I know we live in the wild wild west but it's still strange to see a gun strapped on their hip in a store.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I've always been told, by folks who know, "Never show your hand." Keep it concealed. If you're out walking your own land / place, or if you're hiking in the wilderness, open carry is good, quicker to get to if you need it. JMHO m.
Everything you need to know is posted there by mho.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I'm in the keep it concealed camp. I personally believe unless you are wearing a badge open carry will bring you trouble both from civilian and police, its not worth it. I also feel that and firearm is a tool and not a fashion accessory.

Where i live its technically legal to open carry but its a great way to get a brandishing charge or get yourself shot. I carry every day concealed and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Both. Depends on the circumstances; I don't generally OC when I'm grocery shopping or whatever (although I might go in to pick something up even if I happen to be OC), but I usually OC when I'm riding and anytime I'm in rural areas.
The thing is, I don't always want to be constrained to a dinky little concealed carry piece. Especially if I'm going into anything resembling a dangerous area, I'm carrying a full-size pistol in a readily accessible holster. Ever try drawing a handgun from your pocket while riding a motorcycle?

As for the oft-repeated claim that a thug will target an open carrier first; I don't want to step on anyone's toes but that is utter BS. Sure there have probably been a few cases of that occurring (only one that I have ever heard of, but I'm sure there are more), but only if you walk around in condition white all the time. And if you do that, you shouldn't be carrying, period.

Thugs attack when they think they have the advantage. If they have ill intent and then notice that someone is aware of them and has a visible gun, they back down and wait for an easier target. I've seen it on several occasions.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I'd love to be that guy...the type A personality, with the laws and statues not only memorized but on my person, with the money to have a great lawyer on retainer available whenever I need them. I am not that guy, so I would keep it concealed most of the time, with exceptions mentioned already.

·
Registered
746 Posts
A lot depends on what state you're in, too. I'm in Alabama. A lot of cops and sheriffs in Alabama are real jerks about OC and were arresting open carriers, lying to people by telling them it's illegal (it wasn't), etc.
To the point that Alabama legislature passed a new law a couple years ago clarifying that open carry, with or without a CCW license, by anyone who may legally possess a handgun is not illegal and may not be grounds for arrest. Of course, some areas are off limits.

OP is in Virginia. Virginia is a very unlicensed open carry friendly state. Their anti-gun governor just tried to shove an anti-carry measure through and got slapped down. There were lots of states whose CCW license VA did not recognize; my understanding was that the governor tried to greatly expand the list of states VA did not recognize. Instead the opposite happened, and now any state that recognizes VA's CCW, is in turn recognized by VA.

I drove the full length of VA last Spring. At that time VA did not recognize my AL CCW, so I could not carry concealed. Therefore I open carried my fullsize .40 caliber Glock the entire time I was in the state; about 4 days total. I had no problems doing so. Most people didn't even seem to notice.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think open carry turns the moderate section of the population off. Period. Not sure how violent of an area some of you live in, but if someone really needs to pull a trigger for protection in the next 20 years, the extra half second is trivial especially compared to the number of middle of the road people you will offend over those 2 decades. Irritate enough moderates with FRIVILOUS open carry and we may lose the right to concealed carry. Even I am offended by dudes who feel the need to carry AR15's into Denny's just to exercise their rights. That shock tactic does only harm, no good. I live in Montana, which is quite pro-gun. I carry and guns are practical and necessary tools here to most people. But here, we had a bit of a commotion last year when someone decided their nickel 1911 needed to be seen by every mom and kid headed to the bouncy house at our weekly Saturday morning farmers market. It offended people. People who's husbands certainly have guns at home. People who themselves carry in the woods, people who carry in National Parks. No need to OPEN carry at a public event for families. CONCEALED for protection at one, fine. But the only practical reason it was OPEN was to show he has the right. We may not have that right if people like him continue to flaunt it when it is not necessary. Please protect yourself, but also protect public opinion for those opinions are what will really set gun policy in the future. Just my opinion, and we all have one.

As an after thought, how many of you really are in situations where concealed carry puts you at real risk vs open? Not some made-up, what if, but what are the odds you will ever pull a gun to shoot someone, and when you do, it failed because you took too long to pull up a shirt.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I suppose I should keep my eyes at...eye level and then I would have noticed she had fiery red hair. Instead, I'm look'in below to see what kind of heat she was pack'in! (Forgive me Father for I have sinned...):p

I'm in the don't need to show off and keep it concealed boat. However, it doesn't bother me either way and I know we live in the wild wild west but it's still strange to see a gun strapped on their hip in a store.
Either way you noticed a potential dangerous situation and made the needed assessment.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Personally I think that to conceal in public is better. If for no other reason than Teddy Roosevelt. You know, "Walk softly and carry a big stick." For my fortieth b-day next year I plan on buying a 380 for 2 very simple reasons 1st- they conceal great! 2nd- I can.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Practice walking through life as the "gray man" invisible. I would never open carry in public, because being able to get the drop on a bad guy is your best defense.

Don't be This!!!
image.jpeg

Gray Man

[video]http://www.itstactical.com/intellicom/mindset/gray-man-strategies-101-peeling-away-the-thin-veneer-of-society/[/video]

1 - 20 of 39 Posts