TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't usually ride a lot of blacktop but figure if I'm gonna road ride it might as well be a good road:rolleyes:. I like Highway 4 over 8700 ft Ebbetts Pass. Just returned from a camping trip where I based along the Carson River east of the divide then rode to the Pacific side a few times. Here is some of the roadwork including a detour into Bear Valley's Mt Reba Ski Resort for a little fooling around...not enough of my high country destinations were melted out, or free of deadfalls or uncrossable high water so I toured more tarmac than usual.

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Those 24% grades mean Betty's front tire was about a foot and a half above the rear at times climbing up those switchbacks. Good workout above 8,000 ft for our little 200cc machines.
While the road had been open only a few days some car had already managed to do a mighty Thelma and Louise launch off this corner. Sure reminded me to pay attention to the road ahead.

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The scenery is as nice as the riding

Famous FishHead Rock

Road is rather stimulating in places

I rode off-road too, as well as to the east over Luther Pass too on the trip. I'll will post more after I unload. Had a good six hours of unexpected snowfall once I returned home so have made little progress other than getting warm again. Storm had closed HWY 89 over 7700 ft Luther Pass by time I broke camp this afternoon, an area I rode in warm sunshine Wednesday. Wild weather for Thursday brought sustained fierce winds. I clocked cloud shadows keeping pace with me at 45 to 50 mph. Gusts really pushed the TW around.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Beautiful Fred, glad you made it home safe. Very much enjoying it.

·
Registered
13,320 Posts
Well Fred, if you're gonna ride pavement, that's the type of pavement to ride especially for those of us who only ride the TW. Kind of cool to pretend we are motorbike road races leaning in the curves and listening to the shifting RPMs once in a while!

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The fresh skid marks going off the road were at this 15 mph corner so driver had been warned. Alcohol, fatigue or rambunctiousness may be partially to blame....no evidence of ABS braking plus only left front tire locked up on asphalt makes me speculate an older or poorly maintained vehicle made the plunge. 8409cfadc0441fdb7e33f76095c70b9e.jpg

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
The fresh skid marks going off the road were at this 15 mph corner so driver had been warned. Alcohol, fatigue or rambunctiousness may be partially to blame....no evidence of ABS braking plus only left front tire locked up on asphalt makes me speculate an older or poorly maintained vehicle made the plunge. View attachment 30274
Well lets hope the people in that vehicle have the opportunity to learn from their mistakes.....

Tom

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I got some good cornering practice in with the CPM index (Curve Per Mile) usually at least 10 and sometimes seeming over 25 with a new challenging twisty every 200 ft or less. I never know just how far to push on the asphalt, typically run out of balls before finding the limits of tire adhesion. On the dirt I'm always pushing to define the edge of the envelope figuring I can usually recover , and if not it won't hurt too bad. On tarmac I just don't know how subtle I need to be to avoid a snap over-correction when chopping the throttle should things get slideways.:eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts