TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had to be in Montrose CO this week for a meeting, so I decided to pack the TW along, take today off and get a ride in over one of the incredible CO mountain passes that I have always wanted to hit.

I settled on Ophir Pass, I have been following several threads over on advrider and this looked to be a good first start with the high mountain passes.

The weather was not great, and a steady drizzle was falling all morning.....but hey, this is "adventure riding" right??

So, I geared up with the rain gear I had and headed up....

The road was in very good shape, to be honest 80% of this pass is doable in a Subaru, however, there are a few spots that I would have really worried if my 4-wheel drive F-150 would have made it.

The views were unbelievable! having grown up in N. Wyoming and having travelled extensively all over the western US, and even in the Canadian Rockies, both in Alberta and BC, the high country of CO is spectacular.....it is unfortunate that my camera does not do this place justice, but I hope it will give you some idea of the views that are in this beautiful place.

Made the Summit and had to take the required bike and "selfie" pic with the sign.......

Crested and began the decent, not a lot of traffic just a couple groups of jeepers.

They are way down the road, but I pulled over and waited for them to go by and enjoyed the view.

Frist glimpse of the metropolis of Ophir.

Quickly dropped back into the trees on the descent.

Ophir is unbelievably scenic little town.

A few shots from the climb back up and over the pass.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
knarly bro!
Sweet ride report and pics, thank you.

When I was 12, I was working as a morning newspaper boy and happen to win a contest between paperboys and won a two week trip on horseback in the Colorado mountains. I still remember the stunning views.

+1 and a "like" for your pics

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
WOW... SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET. I'm afraid my kidneys wouldn't have been able to keep up with the demand...... (o; What a great view.
How did the dub run at the top ? OMM.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW... SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET. I'm afraid my kidneys wouldn't have been able to keep up with the demand...... (o; What a great view.
How did the dub run at the top ? OMM.
It stumbled a little bit right near the top, 11K and above you need to keep your momentum or you find yourself down shifting real quick!!

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Cool! The aspens haven't started to turn yet, so if I make it down there by the middle of next week and it dries out a little it should be fantastic!!

It's been 30 years since I did Ophir. :p Doesn't look any different.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
at first i thought the 9000 on the sign was population.... HA! looks like 90 would be crowded. beautiful!

i look forward to meeting you next month, josh and joemama have some beautiful riding planned for you too.

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Quote "it is unfortunate that my camera does not do this place justice" I know right! Great photo's none the less!

Wish I had a meeting there:p

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Wingnut, we were just in Montrose a couple of days ago headed for the San Juans, but with all the rain chickened out, and headed for (marginally) drier Moab instead.
Looks awesome, and props, man, for riding the pass in adverse conditions!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Wow! What a nice ride, and thanks for the beautiful pictures! I will definitely do that ride someday, and the sooner the better. My bucket list just keeps getting longer, but I guess that is not necessarily a bad thing.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Excellent pics Wingnut!

What fender is that? ProCycle high fender adapter? The bike looks good!
it is the Pro Cycle fender and bracket. I preferred the look of the black fender that Pro Cycle offers with the fins on the back and appears to be a bit longer on the back as well, however this is what was sent. Apparently the white and black versions are the same only different.....FYI.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wingnut, we were just in Montrose a couple of days ago headed for the San Juans, but with all the rain chickened out, and headed for (marginally) drier Moab instead.
Looks awesome, and props, man, for riding the pass in adverse conditions!

Rhodetrip, I was glad it was not more than what it was. Run off down the trail looked like it would be pretty bad if it had been raining harder. Also. The temperature was not too bad even at the top, any cooler and it would have been too much.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I forgot that I had taken a quick video on my phone while up at the top of the pass. Never posted a video before, so lets see if it works........(click to view)

·
Registered
240 Posts
The things we do for our wives... I moved to Florida for her and she bought me the TW. If she'd gotten me the TW when we lived in CO, I don't think I could've made the sacrifice for her (it was hard without it).

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I miss That place and need to go back. If you ever get a chance ride imogene pass from Telluride to Ouray "or other way" or engineer pass to lake city and back on Cinamon pass. Those were my favorite. We rode imogene pass to Telluride and took Ophir pass back to Silverton where we were camping. That area is probably the most scenic place in the U.S. Nice pics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts