TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20,182 Posts
I would do this if this is what it takes to self-rescue.
I could walk beside bike idling away until I came across some fencing then replace or back up zip-ties with stolen fencing wire. Then try gently riding out with a metal jury-rigged repair.
Sure beats giving up and walking out just because the perfect part isn't available. gotta do.jpeg

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Good McGyver-fix.

Reminds me of a story while down in Daytona for Bike Week a couple years ago. My friends RoadKing got disabled when a rivet holding the shifter mechanism popped off and was lost, thankfully at a roadside gas stop. I'm on an old 750 BMW, my other friend has a Yamaha. But we can ride and the big Harley is a Turtle-On-It's Back.

I happen to have a small roll of bailing wire stashed in a small zippered pocket of my leather jacket. I don't even know why or when I put it there? But we were able to Rube Goldberg the Big Twin and get her rolling.

He went to a dealer the next day and bought an entire new shifter arm. He also gave me back the wire.
I just checked... it's still in my zippered pocket:

IMG_3252.jpg

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Lot of great ideas for emergency repairs, I wonder if anyone thought of having and extra masterlink in their tool case.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Another reason to always carry a metal coat hanger. Better then duct tape sometimes for trail side repairs.
NO WIRE HANGERS!!! - Joan Crawford -

1 - 11 of 11 Posts