TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Thought I'd add my 2 cents to this topic and add my opinion on the optimum length of an extended swingarm. I only have experience with a commercially-available swingarm that can be purchased through a website in Japan. I believe this swingarm is 6" longer than stock, and you can see it in the thread I posted about the Stretch Rat bike I purchased, which came pre-modified by the previous owner.

For street riding, I don't experience any negatives in handling. The only thing that is noticeable is the increase in turning radius, which is typically not a big deal on streets. On my bike, the whole fender and back half of the subframe was deleted, undoubtedly for function as well as aesthetics. The seat height grew only a fraction of an inch, which was surprising to me.

If I was going to attempt to ride this bike on trails, I'm certain I would not like the restriction in turning radius. If I was building a swingarm from scratch, I'd only make it long enough for an oversized tire to clear. Anything longer will result compromise in other aspects.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts