TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... I can say I tried it, but... The TW isn't for the sand in my opinion. Aired down to 10 lbs. Just couldn't get any traction, and when I did the front tire had a mind of its own. I know it can't be the operator.

Vera will stay away from the sand from now on.

Tried my WR450 last year WITH a paddle tire and that wasn't fun either. Damn bikes, I know the rider isn't the issue ;)

IMG_4662.JPG
Look Ma, no kickstand needed

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Love the TW in the sand but it'll make you work & sweat for it, just gotta keep-on moving.
Problem is mentally the fat tires tend to make your brain think it'll be smooth sailing. HaHa sure... if you had 4 fat tires instead of 2 (or even 3).

That looks like such a beautiful area with the sand and trees.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's not very good in the sand and after owning mine for a month I'm beginning to believe it's just not a very good bike. It's dangerously underpowered on the street and the ground clearance and suspension can't handle the roots, rocks and boulders that make up the trails in my area. At least not with my 200 pound body on it.
I think it would be an awesome kid's first bike, and it might be good on the back of a camper for a quick run through a campground.
But for a full sized adult trying to ride 50/50 street and trail it's just not enough. It's well built and reliable as hell but I think my short time as a TW owner is about to come to an end. I think I'm more of a KLR 650 guy, or at least a Yamaha WR250. The little TW is just not good enough at anything other than being cheap and very easy to putt around on. I'll probably be posting an ad on this site in a few days.

·
Registered
288 Posts
When riding in deep sand you have to let the bike float around. You will NEVER make a bike go exactly where you want. Just try to guide it the general direction you want it to go. Ride a bike on ice once and you'll get the idea.

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's not very good in the sand and after owning mine for a month I'm beginning to believe it's just not a very good bike. It's dangerously underpowered on the street and the ground clearance and suspension can't handle the roots, rocks and boulders that make up the trails in my area. At least not with my 200 pound body on it.
I think it would be an awesome kid's first bike, and it might be good on the back of a camper for a quick run through a campground.
But for a full sized adult trying to ride 50/50 street and trail it's just not enough. It's well built and reliable as hell but I think my short time as a TW owner is about to come to an end. I think I'm more of a KLR 650 guy, or at least a Yamaha WR250. The little TW is just not good enough at anything other than being cheap and very easy to putt around on. I'll probably be posting an ad on this site in a few days.
That's an interesting perspective. I think it's adequate for speed on a street, but inadequate for highway use. I find it not lacking in acceleration from a stop, but definitely lacking in acceleration once you reach about 45 mph. So, it's limited as more of a local street, backroad and offroad bike. If you're looking to win the race, definitely look elsewhere. I think the appeal is that it's NOT a race bike, and that it's low to the ground and easier to control than a lot of dual sport bikes. More like a mule than a thoroughbred.

·
Super Moderator
4,047 Posts
I have what I think is a fairly good perspective. There's no sense in arguing, some people have differant wants in a bike. I don't personally think your portrayal is accurate though, but to each his own. Good luck selling.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Never underestimate the TW, the lack of hp will make you a better rider.
KTM KTM blah blah blah yes they are cutting edge, wicked fast and powerful but will hurt you in a heartbeat when you run outta talent.
Here is video of the TW going up the Soggy dry lake sand hill and ends with a clip of a rider who failed to follow me up. He then starts treating his shiny new $$ KTM 300 like an old frisbee. Sad
The bike is more capable than it looks... I love it

·
Registered
552 Posts
Dprimero, nice pic of the TW at the dunes.

As for the other member who doesn't like the TW, you make some valid points and correctly identified the TWs weak spots. However, for the right rider and the right riding area it is hard to beat the TW. The KLR650 is another bike that gets a lot of love and a lot of hate for good reason. I own both and can easily say that all the good and bad reviews are correct about both bikes. I personally find the glass half full on both bikes, not half empty.

·
Super Moderator
4,047 Posts
Dprimero, nice pic of the TW at the dunes.

As for the other member who doesn't like the TW, you make some valid points and correctly identified the TWs weak spots. However, for the right rider and the right riding area it is hard to beat the TW. The KLR650 is another bike that gets a lot of love and a lot of hate for good reason. I own both and can easily say that all the good and bad reviews are correct about both bikes. I personally find the glass half full on both bikes, not half empty.
Well put, and quite true.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The TW200 is a great "All-Around" little dual sport. Jack of all trades, master of none type of deal. There is terrain is is NOT suited for. There is also terrain it is ideally suited for. When you want to carry cargo, slowly, through the woods for trail maintenance it is awesome as a pack mule. It works best when gathered in a pack with other TW200's, then it's a load of fun with other people all riding the same bike. I still intend to make on of the MOAB trips, SOMEDAY. Taking a large block of time off from work is more difficult than I thought it would be, but I digress.

You won't win a race with 16 HP, unless you are racing children on 50cc bikes. But with the right gears, a tire swap, and plenty of 1st and 2nd gear, it can get up some very gnarly trail. The main issue being clearance and the poorly damped suspension. Some guys do a fork swap, the rear shock is harder, it would require a totally custom damper. You would STILL have only 6 inches of travel. But it can be plated, driven to work, driven to the grocery store, coffee shop, grandmas house, and also the romp into the trails. A purpose built trail bike also sucks on the road, gets worse fuel economy, and STILL has to have the suspension tuned even if you spent $7400+ on it.(The road I had to take recently with my Beta Xtrainer, I had the suspension expertly lowered 2 inches and revalved front and rear. What a fricking HUGE difference in hard terrain. Just a different bike now, much safer).

When I buy another TW (maybe later this year) I am having a custom rear shock made, and also a total fork rebuild and revalve. After my recent experience with fork tuning, I can say it was worth it.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
AS there are MANY pictures and videos of MANY people doing VERY difficult terrain posted on this forum; Moab; Rubicon; and many singletracks and group rides, etc. I have to wonder.

As I get older and can't do the things I used to do:

If I can't shoot a basketball through a hoop, but many other people can - can I really say the basketball is a piece of crap?
If I can't hit a baseball with a bat, but many other people can - can I really say the bat is not good enough?
and if I can't walk across my flat dry lawn without twisting my ankle and falling down, but many other people can - can I really say that it is my lawn that is defective?

Getting old sucks!

P.S. Stagewex (That looks like such a beautiful area with the sand and trees.) On the coastal dunes you also have nice views of the ocean if you look the other direction.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ya gotta find the right sand. I know what u mean tho. I took the back way into the Arches from the dry camp first at Moab and instead of crossing the dry wash I turned onto it. After plowing along in a foot and a half deep stuff I finally got the Hell outta there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Old w/?? Nails it !
If you can’t do the job blame the tool!
One of the fastest guy I rode with always had bald knobbies (front and rear) Not street wear that takes the center knobs, the entire tires were nubs.
I always kept fresh knobbies and when we would swap bikes it was hard to tell the difference. Didn’t push in the corners or slide the rear, very planted.
He raced dez, cut trail and organized KTM rides and would outride everyone on a worn bike and tires.
‘Twas very humbling to those of us who thought you could just buy the *right* bike and be a rock star.

·
Registered
119 Posts
AS there are MANY pictures and videos of MANY people doing VERY difficult terrain posted on this forum; Moab; Rubicon; and many singletracks and group rides, etc. I have to wonder.

As I get older and can't do the things I used to do:

If I can't shoot a basketball through a hoop, but many other people can - can I really say the basketball is a piece of crap?
If I can't hit a baseball with a bat, but many other people can - can I really say the bat is not good enough?
and if I can't walk across my flat dry lawn without twisting my ankle and falling down, but many other people can - can I really say that it is my lawn that is defective?

Getting old sucks!

P.S. Stagewex (That looks like such a beautiful area with the sand and trees.) On the coastal dunes you also have nice views of the ocean if you look the other direction.
I agree 100%. And when I get older (I'm only 64) I'll appreciate the TW even more:grin:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Getting back the the Oregon dunes.
For those of you who want a good experience, do the dunes by Florence - the sand is not as fine as it is down by Coos / North Bend.
The beach is also great to ride on.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
In this one I am trying to see how far down the hill I could keep up a wheelie. If you look closely you can see the shadow of my front wheels on the sand; and zooming in, that the front wheels were higher than the rear wheels at the time. I'm sure in another second that was no longer the case.

P8240012.JPG

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Getting back the the Oregon dunes.
For those of you who want a good experience, do the dunes by Florence - the sand is not as fine as it is down by Coos / North Bend.
The beach is also great to ride on.
With all the wind this week, the sand is super fine in the Coos Bay/ North Bend area. The good thing is... with all the wind, the sand is also smooth. Sticking to 4 wheels the rest of the week.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
ejfranz pm'd me that my pics a couple of posts above were not working (kinda like me). I went back in PAINT and reduced their size by 50% and they all show up now (I think).

So reducing your picture sizes appears to be a way around the invalid attachment thingymabob. Maybe later I'll try to find what size is the max that works.
Well, that wasn't the answer. Originally I attached them from my CD, which didn't work. Then I shrunk them in PAINT and saved them to my desktop which worked but didn't allow you to really zoom in.
This time I just moved the full size from CD to Desktop and attached them to post. Worked and can zoom in further as seen below.

P8240012.JPG

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Never underestimate the TW, the lack of hp will make you a better rider.
KTM KTM blah blah blah yes they are cutting edge, wicked fast and powerful but will hurt you in a heartbeat when you run outta talent.
Here is video of the TW going up the Soggy dry lake sand hill and ends with a clip of a rider who failed to follow me up. He then starts treating his shiny new $$ KTM 300 like an old frisbee. Sad
The bike is more capable than it looks... I love it
I watched your other longer video. Great fun.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts