TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to a Swedish friend's farewell party a week ago and a "interesting" man gave an...ummm.."interesting" talk complete with songs and chanting and New Age rhetoric. According to him the Orcas ( Ordonti oscinus orca), or killer whales, are not really part of the accepted cetacean family but rather come from Outer Space and were sent here to teach us humans wisdom and provide spiritual guidance. That they use 100% of their brains and can with a single sonar "ping" learn all our language, thoughts and past lives were a proven given to him....etc,etc,etc.

Not wanting to be a stinker at my friend's party I refrained from asking what the orcas were doing for millions of years while waiting for Homo Sapiens to evolve.
(Lots of fossil record evidence for these cetaceans going back approximately 50 million years to the days of "orca-saurs" in North America's inland seas.)

Anyways I find it amazing what people want to believe and how many seek a leader to follow, or preach to them the answers to life's mysteries. However Orcas From Outer Space was a real stretch for me. MaybeI should start my own tax-free religious cult centered around TWs where salvation comes from sending me your money and virgins. Now accepting applications for High Priestesses and Acolytes.

·
Registered
20,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just knew there was a reason I don't trust clowns!:)

·
Registered
20,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a reason they are not called "Pandas-of-the-Sea"

Whale-Eats-Penguins-For-Lunch-122466.jpg

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
"Orcas From Outer Space"?

Hail yes...works for me! :eek:ccasion5:

Reactions: TWilight

·
Super Moderator
5,319 Posts
My understanding of the wild life on this planet, is that there are only two mammals that will actively and willingly hunt humans..... - Orcas and Polar bears

Sure - a Hippo can put a dent in your day - and some other bears are plain "mean" - but they won't hunt, track, and kill you for food like those two above.

No complaint from me over the issue - after all, humans do the same thing to just about everything else on the planet (including ourselves) - but it's nice to know we're the the most "ruthless" predator on this planet - despite what the universe can throw at us ......

·
Registered
20,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No clowning around, tell us more Safety Joe! Sounds like something from Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Universe.

Actually teaching the safety course is mighty commendable of you Ex-Racer. Funny how I can post irrelevant stuff here only to learn surprisingly impressive details of fellow members.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Thanks Fred. The wife and I took the class at Toby's Clown School here in Lake Placid. As I work with the local Police Dept. teaching bicycle safety classes the though of a clown do it might make it more fun for the kids. I don't wear white face.Just some eye and cheek highlights with a little muzzle paint so as not to scare kids that have watched the wrong movies. Also my costume is bright yellow and orange with a boonie hat with reflective stripes and blinking lights. Pretty good for a kid that was super shy in school.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Pix! We need pix!

·
Super Moderator
5,319 Posts
Aren't Grizzly Bears also a man-hunting predator...that will hunt, track, and kill you for food ???? :dontknow:
Only in extreme circumstances - otherwise they'll keep their distance Dispelling Myths About Bears - BearSmart.com

Polar bears on the other hand (like Orcas) have no fear of humans, we're on the food chain, just like everything else ......

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Pix! We need pix!
Sorry I don't have any. Unless someone has an old local paper. Besides I don't want to give anyone nightmares. Just think of a big traffic cone with arms and legs and that will give you a pretty good idea of my costume.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Because of Grizzlys, most folks will not go into the bush without some highpowered hardware. Even in town, you are on the menu. Not too long ago a fellow was lucky enough to hear a twig snap while out walking near his home in Soldotna Ak. He turned to see a bear in full charge. He pulled his pistol and dumped it into the bear. He was able to step aside as it piled up 12 ft past him.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I went to a Swedish friend's farewell party a week ago and a "interesting" man gave an...ummm.."interesting" talk complete with songs and chanting and New Age rhetoric. According to him the Orcas ( Ordonti oscinus orca), or killer whales, are not really part of the accepted cetacean family but rather come from Outer Space and were sent here to teach us humans wisdom and provide spiritual guidance. That they use 100% of their brains and can with a single sonar "ping" learn all our language, thoughts and past lives were a proven given to him....etc,etc,etc.
I knew it! last time one came up beside my boat it winked at me. Damn!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Don't forget to open carry your towell on May 25th.

·
Registered
20,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Doug ( Motard ) , you and the rest of our B.C.Buddies likely learned more about orcas in grade school than the silly man I heard spouting mis-information through his blow hole. He insisted on calling the leader of a group he is channeling and spiritually bonding with "K-Pod". K pod is actually the biologists' name for one of the three clans ( I, K, & J) of southern resident killer whales who tend to be fish eaters. Down south we get a different migratory pod that like to munch on migrating grey whale calves. Anyways the folks in British Columbia probably laugh as this guy conducts seminars every year off Orcas Island mis-informing folks but leaving lots of US dollars in his wake.
I have seen a few orca clans from afar, but guess I've missed out on being "pinged" by their extraterrestrial mind-ray sonar. Poor me.:(

Reactions: Dryden-Tdub
1 - 19 of 19 Posts