TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking lately about a new jacket.

I have 3 jackets, an old school black leather Harley jacket that doesn't quite fit lately...since I gained the last 20 lbs.

A mesh Harley jacket which fits and I like a lot, but it has Harley patches on it, so I don't use it on the Yamaha. (this one goes with the bike when I sell it, if it fits the rider)

A heavier black Cyclegear Bilt jacket which is great on either bike in the cold.

On the hotter days, I often feel tempted to just ride in my T-shirt, which I do for a 1/2 mile trip to the store and such, but for anything that is more distance or across town, I know it is a mistake in judgment and I really don't want to fall into a bad habit.

So, I've been looking at this one.

BILT - Techno Mesh Motorcycle Jacket - Textile - Jackets - Street - Cycle Gear

With it being very vented and partially white, I should have no more excuses to ride safely. It was on sale at $99.99 versus regular price of $179.99

I also had a coupon code for 10% off on an order of $50.00 or more.
Coupon codes are still valid if you want to use them through the end of the month.
In store: 641107 or Online ordering: Refresh10
Did I mention free shipping too? :)

Total: $97.82 with tax.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img538/5003/wR3oyQ.jpg (coupon and info)

·
Registered
20,376 Posts
I think you picked a winner LT.
White color, removable cold weather liner and over-all abrasion resistance seem like big improvements over my $150 first generation mesh...black CE armor over black nylon mesh. Let us know how it works out.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
You will look great ripping over the slip rock in that jacket!

·
Registered
20,376 Posts
Good thinking Paul. It would make a good coat for Moab with it's liner and back storage pocket, plus makes it easier to keep track of Tommy as he pioneers ahead.:rolleyes: My shell for once it gets cold is worn over mesh, and is stored under Cyclerack until needed.

·
Super Moderator
18,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5 year guarantee too. It seems like a good jacket for the money. I wonder if I can fit my shell and the jackets liner in my tool tube?

·
Registered
13,719 Posts
I haven't found anything more comfortable than an old army P.T. jacket with some sort of hoodie or the like underneath. I do have a Black Leather M/C Jacket that was given to me. I've never worn it and think it would look funny with it on riding a TW. Sort of like the Moped Gangs I saw in Germany back in the mid 80's.

My problem is I just can't bring myself to spend the money on something new and modern! I should have not gained so much weight over the years and I could have kept wearing the brown leather jacket I gave to one of my boys. Then Borneo and I could have been in the brown leather jacket gang. You do have to have at least 2 people for a gang don't you?

The jacket you're looking at is cool looking and the price is pretty good.

·
Super Moderator
18,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish I could just wear a hoodie, but all my riding these days are on the street in and around town. Speeds are 25 to 60, so I really need to be wearing something.

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Speaking of Jackets...Borneo's story about his on the new Borneodreams Blog reminded me to get my favorite old leather brown jacket out and see if I had lost enough pounds and arm/shoulder size to wear it while riding the TW this fall:

The Jacket 002.JPG

I bought this one as a gift for myself back in 1983 or 84...I weighted in at around 175 pounds and was a mere 35 or so years old.....when I began lifting weights some 10 years later, getting a start after several rounds of back problems, the weight lifting seemed to strengthen my back, along with a couple of Epidurals at Fort Wayne Orthopedics...and I bloomed up to 220+ pounds by the age of 50. Needless to say the Jacket was put in the closet for a few years or more....once I discovered I was pre-diabetic 2, I began to shed the pounds and dropped down to 185, so I took the jacket to Wapakoneta and had new sleeves and a new zipper put on it...since that time I have moved back and forth between the 185 to 195 range...the closer I get to 195, the less the jacket is worn...so after the new VA Doc told me to drop 15 or 20, I set my goal to split the difference and make it 178....this morning at 187, the jacket is about ready for some cold weather riding, or at least cool weather....another 5 pounds on my way to 178 should do the trick ;)

Patrick O'Houseworth.jpg

Here I am in it a couple seasons ago at about 195...a bit to snug for my liking...

·
Registered
807 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
20,376 Posts
I do like a brown leather jacket, much friendlier than black leather as Borneo pointed out in his excellently written blog... P1000872.JPG
And "No", I didn't try riding up this frozen waterfall last November at Mt. Whitney.:p I would have needed Admiral's tire chains. Ice on road @ 10,000 feet was enough.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a Cycle Gear store that I visit from time to time. Their store brand is BILT and some of those jackets are pretty nice.
That said, there are some things to keep in mind. Most, if not all, have the european style zipper, meaning that it's backwards from what we are used to, or more like women's clothing has. Also, I went through a whole rack of $59.99 "on-sale" mesh jackets looking for one that spoke to me, and each I tried on had one niggling little flaw or another. Mostly there were shoulder pads that were in different places, one on my shoulder, the other on my back. Some had the elbow armor too low or twisted around the wrong part of the arm. I admit that after finding a few, the little flaws became something I focused on, and needless to say I didn't buy that jacket. They even had one sent in from another store for me, and again, shoulder pads were not on my shoulders.
I'm not posting this to bash BILT, as I thought their more expensive jackets were really nice, but that backwards zipper thing is a sticking point for me.

I also just bought my girlfriend an Xelement jacket that she is quite happy with. It's a bit heavier than most textile jackets, but i don't view that as an issue. Seems well made, and only time will tell how well it holds up.

For some good deals, try here: MotorcycleGear.com (the new name of New Enough) :: Motorcycle Jackets, Helmets, Gloves, Boots, Luggage, Parts and More!
Look at some of their closeouts, there's some really nice stuff there.

·
Super Moderator
18,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
That's a nice website, thanks for sharing that. They even have used stuff for sale!! :eek::)
I basically went with Cyclegear because they are just down the road and I can look at the product. Also, I already have one of their jackets and have been happy with it, even with the zipper on the other side. Plus, they have jackets in my size when a lot of places don't, and the price was doable on my budget. Under a 100 bucks and a 5 year guarantee...

And...ha ha I ordered it 2 days ago, and it's on the UPS truck for delivery in about 3 hours!!!! :D

TWROG had a real good link for gear above also!! +1 ;)

I hope this lighter colored jacket will cut the heat a little, my black jackets make me want to be lazy and not wear them which is a mistake, so, we'll see!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
And...ha ha I ordered it 2 days ago, and it's on the UPS truck for delivery in about 3 hours!!!! :D
Um....what's the saying you guys are always writing here?? Something like, if there aren't any pictures then it didn't happen?? We want a picture of you in your awesome new jacket! :)

·
Super Moderator
18,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm still waiting.... I wish they would hurry up, I want to go for a ride!!

Here's the jacket..

Here's me..

No one's gotten a picture of me so far....he he he he I like it that way. Maybe someday :D but not if I can help it!!

·
Registered
13,719 Posts
I'm still waiting.... I wish they would hurry up, I want to go for a ride!!

Here's the jacket.. :D

Here's me..

No one's gotten a picture of me so far....he he he he I like it that way. Maybe someday :D but not if I can help it!!

If you see a drone overhead, and it's black, and it's projecting blue microwave beams earthward, that will be me taking a picture of you! Be warned of the drones, the dreaded drones!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts