TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Hey Doug,

I just had a fellow forum member ask me if I knew anyone who could do this mod, so I will send him your way :D!

I also went out and checked in my garage, and it looks like a 4 1/2" Harbor Freight metal cutting wheel would be the perfect width for grinding this slot. You could almost use an angle grinder to do this if you could figure out how to fixture it.

This mod should be a piece of cake for you,

Brian

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’m the one Brian mentioned Doug. Trying to figure out my options for getting the output shaft installed in my xt225 project motor. Do you have a plan for the spacers? Has anyone a definitive answer as to what oil passage mods are must do. Seems to be a bunch of people who have done the output shaft circlip groove and spacers, but the oil passage is rarely spoken about.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Doug,

I just had a fellow forum member ask me if I knew anyone who could do this mod, so I will send him your way :D!

I also went out and checked in my garage, and it looks like a 4 1/2" Harbor Freight metal cutting wheel would be the perfect width for grinding this slot. You could almost use an angle grinder to do this if you could figure out how to fixture it.

This mod should be a piece of cake for you,

Brian
I think so too. In so many cases I find I am short a tool of some kind and if the purchase can be offset by doing a couple of the operations then it is a buy deal for me. Even if it this tool post grinder fails to work for me in this application I have a machine shop I have dealt with for 30 years building molds that is going to do it for me so the more the cheaper either way !!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m the one Brian mentioned Doug. Trying to figure out my options for getting the output shaft installed in my xt225 project motor. Do you have a plan for the spacers? Has anyone a definitive answer as to what oil passage mods are must do. Seems to be a bunch of people who have done the output shaft circlip groove and spacers, but the oil passage is rarely spoken about.
I have read about enough conversion where the hole was not installed that I am not concerned about it at this time.

·
Registered
816 Posts
ive got 10k without modding the oil hole. I didnt do it on my new build either. I did however put the first output shaft in a lathe and used a dremmel to do the groove. Never gave me an issue. this time I had a machine shop do it just cause.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome! Well, I am sold on trying to do this via the cheaper option. Let me know where/when I can send you my shaft Doug. :D
My tool post grinder shipped today, I will start on it as soon as it arrives. Since I am doing it myself I do not need all 3 at one time for cost efficiency. I will come right back here and post as soon as I am successful with the setup. Sounds good.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Add me to the list. I picked up an 03 ttr225 the other day. Gonna be a slow build for me as well. Would like to keep my 200 complete, as it runs pretty well. So i need to find another tw side case, stator, flywheel, etc...

I'll buy another output shaft and send it to you to mod, if you find you are successful. Plus whatever you want for payment.
I worry about trying to find a machinist here and being able to accurately describe what i need.
Feel better about using someone who knows what this is even for, lol ;)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Add me to the list. I picked up an 03 ttr225 the other day. Gonna be a slow build for me as well. Would like to keep my 200 complete, as it runs pretty well. So i need to find another tw side case, stator, flywheel, etc...

I'll buy another output shaft and send it to you to mod, if you find you are successful. Plus whatever you want for payment.
I worry about trying to find a machinist here and being able to accurately describe what i need.
Feel better about using someone who knows what this is even for, lol ;)
I appreciate. We have exact specs of what has worked consistently for multiple folks and I will verify that info against self generated dimensions from comparing both shafts. I will advise when I an ready... Thanks for the vote of confidence. The last thing I will ever do is sell a service I am not confident in. I am slowly working toward starting up a one stop TW Shop location for the custom things I am doing to my bikes.

Doug...

·
Registered
816 Posts
let me know when your rear wheel disc brake conversion kit is available......

I appreciate. We have exact specs of what has worked consistently for multiple folks and I will verify that info against self generated dimensions from comparing both shafts. I will advise when I an ready... Thanks for the vote of confidence. The last thing I will ever do is sell a service I am not confident in. I am slowly working toward starting up a one stop TW Shop location for the custom things I am doing to my bikes.

Doug...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
let me know when your rear wheel disc brake conversion kit is available......
Rear disc is talked about a lot but I can step on my rear brake and lock up my rear tire anytime, I do not understand the need. Please clue me in why we all want or need them, seems simple enough if I could figure out why it is needed. ???

Doug...

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
anything that makes this mod easier for more to enjoy is a good thing!
good on ya DDT!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everything turns into a project. Tool Post grinder came in Friday and the custom bracket to fit my Series BXA tool post which is common as dirt, would not fit so I now have to order a dove tail cutter and make an adjustment to it. This is a custom set up that utilizes a variable speed motor to turn a 3/8" mandrel. Not very useful for most stuff but I think it will work great for this.

tool post grinder SS.JPG

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ooo, that’s awesome! Reminds me of a setup my uncle used to have on his old turret lathe. Getting more and more excited for this six speed tw250 project to come together. So jealous of you folks with real tools, miss having access to a machine shop.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Should anyone have a lathe, making a simple fixture to hold a dremel tool should do the job as well. Have an ongoing project that requires me to cut grooves in drill rod. Dremel has a nice diamond disk. Spin the lathe opposite the spin of the Dremel. Not especially fast, but very accurate. The Dremel disk gives me a .024 groove. Might work as well with a drill press and some creative engineering.****** Truth be told, I was first reading this thread as a 'guest' and did not see the picture of the toolpost grinder installed on a lathe, as it most often is. Once logged on, went straight into adding my 2 cents. Likely the Dremel (with cable driven handpiece) is not as costly as the tool post grinder, and as well, offerers a bit more user options. Doug has a nice grinder/lathe and is all set to meet forum members machining requests. Enjoy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey DDT, not trying to press but, any word on your input shaft mod project? How's it coming? I just got back from a 5 day trip into the Oregon desert, and I am eager to get cracking on this project motor.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have been real busy and only able to give a day or two a week to my TW projects. I had kind of side tracked this due to re-focusing my time on the rear hubs for trailer wheel and my welded spoke hub/wheel combo version but with that said check back here in 3-4 days and I will advise, as this grinder needed a mod to fit my particular tool post but I think it is a quickie deal and I am wanting to get it done anyway and see how it works out so I will work on it thursday or friday time frame and update if it is working out or not. Once I get it sorted out I will just offer it as an in and out deal with a 24-48 hr. turn around.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Of course man, it looks like you have a few big fires burnin. Plus, you need to have some time to yourself to enjoy the summer im sure! Hope i'm not coming off pushy, just excited for this project.

·
Registered
118 Posts
my parts from boats.net just shipped, including the output shaft. It seems like the groove, and the spacer are usually in the same topic. This leads me to wonder what the spacer should be made out of.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts