TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Visited the Oregon Dunes National Rec area and decided to see how the TW would do in the deep sand. Riding on the hard packed sand was ok, but once I got to the dunes it was a tough go, and I could only make it up part way on the steep stuff. Still a lot of fun and good to see what the limits are of the bike. The deep sand also made it easy to take a photo as the bike would stand up on its own.
20180423_155921_PerfectlyClear.jpg
20180423_155904_PerfectlyClear.jpg
20180423_155740_PerfectlyClear.jpg

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Which dune area did you visit?
I prefer riding around Florence as the sand is not as fine as around Coos.
The Duro helps, but the bike is too under powered to make it up the big dunes.
The first time I went I had the WR with a 606 on the back.

You need to watch out for soft spots.

There are lots of trails between the dunes and the ocean.

Riding on the beach can be a blast

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Donzo, thanks for the compliments on the riding techniques. But for an old guy I'm not sure how much technique is left in me. It's mainly a lot of determination, and staying really heavy on the throttle and keeping the r's up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Which dune area did you visit?
I prefer riding around Florence as the sand is not as fine as around Coos.
The Duro helps, but the bike is too under powered to make it up the big dunes.
The first time I went I had the WR with a 606 on the back.

You need to watch out for soft spots.

There are lots of trails between the dunes and the ocean.

Riding on the beach can be a blast
We were camping at Honeyman State Park it's just south of Florence and rode in on the dunes from there. I'm surprised to hear you say the sand is better around Florence then Coos Bay. I've ridden on the beach but this was my first time on the Dunes with the TW and I was surprised how much softer the sand is and how much more difficult it is to ride on compared to beach sand. If Coos Bay is even softer that would make it pretty tough.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
what PSI did you use? i've ridden there only once, 40+ yrs ago, on the back of a ct90 with my dad. i remember the huge difference before and after airing down the tires.... i also remember having to push as a six yr old!

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
But for an old guy I'm not sure how much technique is left in me.
I nominate this quote for quote of the year for 2018! Hillarious. I'm gonna giggle over this one for a long time. "not sure how much technique is left in me", way too funny and true for many of us.:p

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a good idea about the tire pressure. I just left it where I had it which was 15 and 18. I knew that running low pressure would help but I didn't realize it would help a whole lot. If I would have known I would have brought a pump or compressor with me.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
With a regular rear wheel you will need a rim lock of some type.
I have a tubeless system on the WR and the last time I was there I had about 5 PSI in the rear and the Motoz Desert Tractionator hooked up like a Sand Paddle at that low pressure.
I also have sand paddles, but you only want those on if all you are going to do is ride sand.
I have only ridden the TW with a Duro on the rear at the dunes. If you are going to be doing a lot of sand riding an ATV tire on the back makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
In the future the dunes might make a good place for us TW and quad users to have a meet up. Sounds like there is riding for all. The beach is always a welcome sight.

Wouldn't mind taking my Ace out on some sand. For a single seat it has a lot of pep, might be a good soft sand toy.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The National Forest Site south of Florence would be a good place to meet. If you have an Annual National Park Pass, then the camping is 1/2 price ($12.50 a night).
You can also camp on the dunes, but then you can not have alcohol and I like a beer at the end of a day of riding.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks for the report. I have dreamt of riding the Oregon Dunes but haven't made it there yet. Nice to know ahead of time that the TW won't go everywhere.
The beach riding is what I really want to experience. Were the beaches crowded with other vehicles or was there room to play around?

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
but then you can not have alcohol and I like a beer at the end of a day of riding.

When I saw this I thought of you. Not riding of course but at the end of the day. Actually, you don't look like Walter Mathau either but it's funny...if you like beer. :D

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I have always been at the dunes when it has not been crowded and there is a section of the beach where only street legal vehicles are allowed and many times I have had it all to myself.

Don't forget you need to have a flag, the Oregon OHV permit and Safety Education Card to ride the dunes.

There are many little dunes that are a blast to ride and sometimes get some air.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Mine is attached to the rear rack, but you can buy an axle bolt attachment for the flag.
I have one for my DT, but moved the mount up to the grab handle as the flag pole was fraying due to the suspension movement.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
While at the dunes I remember looking at the map and seeing there was certain sections of the beach that were closed depending on the time of the year. Might be something to investigates before planning a date.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
One part of the beach is closed for the protection of the Plover nesting area, but there is still lots of beach to ride on. With a dual sport you can do a loop.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts