TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many riders have had the oem battery fail within 18 months. Been noticing my battery going low this winter so i have been using a C-tek charger on it on a weekly basis to keep it up. Thought i may have a parasitic drain so i removed the battery and did some testing. Found after a full charging the battery had dropped to 12.2 volts after 24 hours off the charger with no loads connected. Decided to install a YZ450 lithium battery to see how that goes. Still need to add spacers to take up the extra space.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Congratulations on your lithium battery upgrade! You may now proceed to no longer worry about your battery condition anymore. My Shorai is on its fourth Colorado winter - I have never tended/charged the battery even once after I purchased it. It does, however, crank over the engine a little slower in -10F, to be fair...

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
121 Posts
It did you a favor. An unsealed, lead-acid battery in a vehicle that will go horizontal on occasion, is a real "What were they thinking?" moment! You no longer have to worry about the OEM battery leaking acid and corroding your bike.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It did you a favor. An unsealed, lead-acid battery in a vehicle that will go horizontal on occasion, is a real "What were they thinking?" moment! You no longer have to worry about the OEM battery leaking acid and corroding your bike.
The what were they thinking is that they did not have another choice when they first produced the bike and have not updated it yet. As for leakage that has not been a problem. The vent tube just needs to be in place. I do agree that they should have upgraded to a sealed type when they did the updates to the 2000 year and forward

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
You did good if you got 18 months off the first one. I think most of those Yuasa's I had only lasted about 6 months so I would kickstart the bike for a couple of years until I tired another battery. I bought an AGM battery about 2-3 years old now and it always works. Occasionaly I kickstart the bike now just because I can.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Must just be lucky, been using flooded Yuasa batteries for 30 years and no spills or issues. I use a battery tender and average about 5 years on a battery. Keep the fluid topped off and use the vent tubes like your supposed to.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Must just be lucky, been using flooded Yuasa batteries for 30 years and no spills or issues. I use a battery tender and average about 5 years on a battery. Keep the fluid topped off and use the vent tubes like your supposed to.
I did as you suggested but they just didn't work for my bike. I thought I had starter issues until I got the AGM battery and no more problems. You did great on the Yuasa's.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I did as you suggested but they just didn't work for my bike. I thought I had starter issues until I got the AGM battery and no more problems. You did great on the Yuasa's.
That’s really weird. Glad you found something that worked for you.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
@Afazakas , just curious if you ever let the water level get below the top of the plates. Mine did three times within a year and three months. About 10,500 miles.

Marty

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Afazakas , just curious if you ever let the water level get below the top of the plates. Mine did three times within a year and three months. About 10,500 miles.

Marty
i topped up the water 3 times. This is the first battery i had that needed that much water. Suggesting that the charging voltage was high but it tested good. Only went the lithium battery because i had it laying around

1 - 10 of 10 Posts