TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum and currently in the process of restoring a TW200 for a friend. The muffler on the stock exhaust is shot and we're not interested in replacing it with a noisier "performance" muffler. TW's being a bit thin on the ground over here in Australia, I'm wondering if any readers would know if any other Yamaha or other bike brands of stock mufflers are a suitable replacement for the TW200 one?

Thanks

John Quinnell

Sydney Australia

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I am not sure, that a exhaust from a other bike will fit.

But there are replacement exhausts with a low noise level available.

You should search for exhausts (street legal) for the European market. These exhausts must have a comparable noise level like the OEM exhaust to be street legal.

These exhausts are marked with:

- e-certified

- homologated

- with EG-ABE

You can find some exhausts here:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.tw-parts.com/index_div.php?hersteller=Yamaha&typ=TW

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. We are definitely seeking a quieter muffler than all those performance type mufflers on offer. We just thought it might be as simple as sliding the muffler section off the exhaust and taking it to a local motorcycle wrecker to see if there are any similar sized/shaped sections available.

Thanks again.

John Quinnell

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hi John,

an other option is to buy a cheap performance exhaust (with dB-killer) and to modify it.

It's possible to disassemble the muffler and to weld 2 or 3 small plates of perforated sheet into the perforated inner pipe.

I made it by the same way on my muffler (on my MX-TW).

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
If your handy with welding and adapting.........

lizrdbrth posted this awhile back

Bottom is TTR/XT, top is TW. Yellow arrows are mounting bolt centers. You can also see the amount of dogleg in a TW pipe along with the different, more outboard rear mounting tab required to clear the tire. Generic or non-TW pipes are gunna involve some fiddling. The stockers appear to be nearly identical at first glance, but differ significantly between the three bikes, so be careful with aftermarket stuff.<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that macbig2k1.

Modifying an aftermarket muffler to quieten down a little has been on the cards with us if another option doesn't spring up.

Regards

John Quinnell

Sydney Australia

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Rich, thanks for the pics. It confirms the muffler on our TW has been played around with by the previous owner (probably to get more sound out of it).

Now I definitely have much food for thought.

Cheers

John Quinnell

Sydney Australia

1 - 7 of 7 Posts