TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... what is the idea behind the larger rear tire? I hadn't wanted a bike until I saw a used tw200 on craigslist. The look of the bike really stirred something up. I don't care to go to fast, so the top end isn't an issue. Now that I've got the bug I'm just wondering if this awesome bike is right for me. So yeah... what is the deal with the rear tire? I mean, I'm going to get one anyway, but still...

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Wide tires are less likely to dig a deep rut in sand, mud, soft ground etc. They also absorb some of the rough ride to compensate for the short suspension travel. And they're fun to drift and bounce around on!

On the negative side they don't take fast turns as sharp on loose ground as a skinnier tire.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I feel bad for all the other bikes, with the tire envy and all. You should probably stay away from the threads about ATV tires on trailer rims and big wheel front end conversions.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
It's called Traction! More rubber on the pavement and especially in the dirt equals much better grip. The only place I have found the fat tire to be a disadvantage other than it 's weight is if I want to do donuts in loose gravel. That fat tire just grips too well and will toss you right off.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I strongly disagree with Gary here....off road a wider tire distributes weight over a larger surface reducing traction while a skinnier tire will cut like an ice skate. Both tires drift on gravel at high speed. If there is any reason to have difficulty doing donuts, it the lack of immediate torgue, but if you drop your clutch it will break traction like a more powerful bike.

In other words the motor gearing also contributes to the traction by not breaking it as easily as a motocross bike.

·
Super Moderator
5,132 Posts
Bigger is always better, especially if you intend to take things slowly and enjoy yourself ... ;)

·
Registered
20,166 Posts
I think the idea behind the wide rear tire is it buys you a wide rim so you can put an even wider ATV tire on.:p
I have two TWs, one with stock tire and one with an ATV tire.
The ATV tire equiped TW will definetly go places the stock tire bike will either struglge with, or be incapable of going. Amazing improvement in traction.
An ATV tire like the Duro PowerGrip excels in loose blow sand of the desert southwest, snow either powder, firm or slush as well as mud of most consistencies that I have encountered. Wider floats a bit in the loose stuff and there is no comparison when it comes to a steep loose hillclimb. There have been places recently where a normal sized tired 250cc dual sport bike could not follow me up loose hills.

As far as the stock wide rear tire I bought my first TW due to the lighter impact it's wide tire afforded patrolling my property compared to my knobby enduro bikes.
TWs tread lightly, it can creep gently over soft terrain leaving hardly a trace where conventional a MX type bike would typically dig a trench.
I once did a informal study hoping to refute a Sierra Club claim as to the tonnage of soil displaced per mile by a conventional roosting dirt bike. Unfortunately I could not, the numbers were scary. Indeed our sport can be very hard on the environment when we ride irresponsibly.
My choice of a TW was an attempt to minimize my impact in a sport I love. I have several many year old trails on my property made and maintained entirely by TW that resemble little more than deer trails. The TW can tread lightly and ridden carefully can actually help fill in ruts made by roosting thin knobbies.

Besides, a wide rear tire just looks cool.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
No one is wrong here, it just depends on where and what conditions you normally ride in.
I like the wider rear stock tire on the TW in sand.
I like the much thinner but much more aggressive Pirelli Scorpions on my XR in the dirt.

Rock, not much of the type of riding, at least for me out east. Gravel... either is fine though the TW rear is probably less stressful.
That may be because the bike itself is so squat and short?

Neither is the greatest on the street but it'll get you there. The TW rear will help with comfort vs. the squishy suspension.

IMG_6869 copy.JPG

Scorpion 486 "Hard".
IMG_6767 copy.jpg

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I strongly disagree with Gary here....off road a wider tire distributes weight over a larger surface reducing traction while a skinnier tire will cut like an ice skate. Both tires drift on gravel at high speed. If there is any reason to have difficulty doing donuts, it the lack of immediate torgue, but if you drop your clutch it will break traction like a more powerful bike.

In other words the motor gearing also contributes to the traction by not breaking it as easily as a motocross bike.
Disagreement is fine but tell me how many here have attempted to reduce the rear tire size verses those who have increased it with even larger ATV type tires? Certainly our fat bottom girls are not just for the looks.

GaryL

·
Registered
365 Posts
Disagreement is fine but tell me how many here have attempted to reduce the rear tire size verses those who have increased it with even larger ATV type tires? Certainly our fat bottom girls are not just for the looks.

GaryL
Right. I have never heard of anyone reducing the size of their tires to improve traction on any off road vehicle. A larger surface of contact means more of the tread pattern is digging in and increasing traction.
i

·
Registered
13,641 Posts

GaryL
There actually have been a few who have "gone skinny" on the TW. I think one of them was Trailscout from Arizona who re-laced some kind of rim and I remember a member in Washington State which did something similar.

We do get some ohhh's and ahhh's with the fatter rear tire but how good or bad it is I've never really figured it out. I think the fat rear tire sucks (for traction) in mud and snow but ok in sand.

I did use Purple's (Bee TW) I have stored on a ride this past spring with the oem stock tire and it does fine going up a rocky creek.

But like Fred said, I love an ATV tire for the additional traction. Many don't need additional traction but it fits my riding style and places just fine.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
There actually have been a few who have "gone skinny" on the TW. I think one of them was Trailscout from Arizona who re-laced some kind of rim and I remember a member in Washington State which did something similar.

We do get some ohhh's and ahhh's with the fatter rear tire but how good or bad it is I've never really figured it out. I think the fat rear tire sucks (for traction) in mud and snow but ok in sand.

I did use Purple's (Bee TW) I have stored on a ride this past spring with the oem stock tire and it does fine going up a rocky creek.

But like Fred said, I love an ATV tire for the additional traction. Many don't need additional traction but it fits my riding style and places just fine.
I had both 2006 TW200 and an XT225. They were like brother from a different mother. Both were fine MCs on road and off but very different in the way I rode them and the way each performed. The TW was my Go To bike when I was going deep into back woods trails while the XT was the bike for more road and groomed trails. What I found was the TW fat tire did in fact make slow and easy riding over rough trails a breeze. On those same trails with the XT I had to run a bit faster and harder to make it up the steep and graveled trails I often encountered. I equate that to the fat rear tire that IMO did in fact have better grip. If on the TW going up steep and rocky hill trails I had to stop in the middle I was almost always able to start again going up the hill. On the XT I usually had to go back down and hit it again and go harder because the rear tire did not have the same traction as the TW. I won't argue because these are just my own personal finding having had both fat and skinny rear tired bikes that were very similar in many ways. I have also had a TW200 with smooth road tires and liked it just fine but never did go very far off road on it. On a TW we can play around with tire pressure and that alone changes the way the bike performs while in the rough stuff.

GaryL

·
Registered
20,166 Posts
Those who still have their physics text books, or a good memory, will recall that friction formulas are all independent of surface area. Of course this only applies to hard surface when friction is contact force times the appropriate co-efficient of friction.
Once in soft surfaces by and large the failure mechanism is shearing of the soil between tread blocks rather than tread blocks overcoming static co-efficient of friction and entering the much lower sliding co-efficient of friction and thus "breaking traction". Traction, and thus thrust generated by tire becomes a function of culmulative surface area of soils being sheared and the soils inherent shear strength.
Thus a wider tire can potentially shear a greater amount of soil and thus generate a greater amount of thrust. Of course in our TWs this is somewhat offset by the smaller rear tire's diameter compared to something like a XT225 since the smaller diameter means the tire's leading edge has a steeper angle of attack to always be climbing out of. Sort of like how a power boat is always trying to climb out of the hole the propellor is making and thus hull speed is a function of hull length. A longer hull has a shallower angle of attack at the bow creating a less steep hill to be always climbing out of.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I ran 510 knobbies back in the day on my 71 Yamaha DT175. Yes front and back, with a little trimming. Everyone laughed til we hit the deep sand bars along the river. :D That extra flotation made all the difference just like on the TW. Those were the days.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Run low air pressure in the rear and the contact patch is huge for a motorcycle. We can debate the skinny vs. wide all day...... and we probably will!:D

·
Registered
1,473 Posts

GaryL
I have seen at least one who made their TW a skinnier tire bike.

I'm not saying TW have less traction. In some terrains yes in others no. Much like tread patterns they all have their strengths and weakness's. Overall the TW gives me traction when I want it most. In the trails, marshes, mud, snow....groomed gravel roads aren't a priority for me. Leaving less of a visible foot print is also a huge plus.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Well I love my tires just the way they are. Get me where I'm going on whatever surface I choose, no problems. Eyes ahead, throttle up, tires a rotatin', bike upright. Vroom vroom!

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I have seen at least one who made their TW a skinnier tire bike.

I'm not saying TW have less traction. In some terrains yes in others no. Much like tread patterns they all have their strengths and weakness's. Overall the TW gives me traction when I want it most. In the trails, marshes, mud, snow....groomed gravel roads aren't a priority for me. Leaving less of a visible foot print is also a huge plus.
It's all about personal preference and we MC folks sure do have our own preferences. I don't honestly remember buying any machine I did not immediately have to fix, fiddle, upgrade, farkle or do some other optional upgrade on. The one thing on a TW I never messed around with is the fat rear tire. Some days I would have loved the raw grunt of an ATV tire and other days I would have enjoyed the smooth ride of a narrower and slicker road tire but overall I have always been perfectly satisfied with the fat girl under me. Can't say the same for the front death wing but the back is just OK IMO.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 36 Posts