TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through some old pics the other day and came across a bike I bought new in 1973 to get to work & school . She was a beauty, fast, shiny, and the star of the school bike park, but she was mean. I would see other guys looking through the fence at her, having no idea that with one half hearted stroke of her kick starter she could send them off limping and whimpering. She could kickback so hard the back of your heel would hit the exhaust guard and bleed through your sock. But most times it was a bruise to your instep*through*your*converse sneakers. I can remember my mom asking me "why are you limping " it's nothing, I'm ok " she wouldn't have understood anyway. *
Here she is a 1973 yamaha rt 360*

*So I was wondering if any other members have had a similar love/hate relationship w/ a mean spirited *old flame...?

·
Registered
19,563 Posts
My bro had a rat RD360 desert racer , it was an animal. With a erratic CDI we had to kick it a lot, and it indeed kicked back. I remember funky ergonomics, strange saddle seat, odd bar bend, humongous IMS gas tank and thirst to match. I remember usually running out of real estate before getting into top gear.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
I was looking through some old pics the other day and came across a bike I bought new in 1973 to get to work & school . She was a beauty, fast, shiny, and the star of the school bike park, but she was mean. I would see other guys looking through the fence at her, having no idea that with one half hearted stroke of her kick starter she could send them off limping and whimpering. She could kickback so hard the back of your heel would hit the exhaust guard and bleed through your sock. But most times it was a bruise to your instep*through*your*converse sneakers. I can remember my mom asking me "why are you limping " it's nothing, I'm ok " she wouldn't have understood anyway. *

*So I was wondering if any other members have had a similar love/hate relationship w/ a mean spirited *old flame...?

"Back in the day" this was one of my favorite machines...:D

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Those 70's Yamaha's were dream bikes for me. I did have friends who owned them and I enjoyed riding them. Check out this picture that I found on Washington Area Trail Riders website. Is this guy cool or what!!!

image.jpg

·
Registered
312 Posts
oh yea I remember....a friend of mine asked me one day "why are you push starting that thing" I said it sometimes kicks back and so if I am in a place I can push start it i will, well he called me a wuss and said I can kick start that.....I said ok give it a try;)on the first try it kicked back so hard that his knee hit him in his forehead and he screamed like a little girl...I laughed so hard I thought I was going to pass out:D...my name for this bike was the "willderbeast"

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
oh yea I remember....a friend of mine asked me one day "why are you push starting that thing" I said it sometimes kicks back and so if I am in a place I can push start it i will, well he called me a wuss and said I can kick start that.....I said ok give it a try;)on the first try it kicked back so hard that his knee hit him in his forehead and he screamed like a little girl...I laughed so hard I thought I was going to pass out:D...my name for this bike was the "willderbeast"
OMG RoadKill. I LMAO on that one. I so went there :D

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Back in the 70's, I rode a Hodaka Ace 100. My buddy let me ride his Yamaha 175 Enduro which was ported, polished, with tuned exhaust. Very narrow powerband. I took off in first gear slowly, then opened the throttle. It was a dog till it hit the powerband......flipped me over backward so fast I didn't have time for nuthin'...... Still laughing about that. Good times.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Shop I worked at had a 1980 FXDWG trade in. Kicker only and all the sales guys were afraid to start it. Guess it scuffed their loafers. Anyhow if a customer wanted to look at it they called me. Tickle the carb,bring the cylinders past tdc and give it a good stiff leg kick with your weight behind it. Couple of good kicks and it would light right off.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
back in the70's my brother had a 360mx endure, man I loved riding that bike, it was so smooth riding over the dirt on one wheel and the thing would walk in 5th. that was went the girl friend had to really hand on. but same old story about starting it, I lost the inside on my running shoe when she kicked back

·
Registered
762 Posts

Uh...yah.

I learned to ride on a 1972 Yamaha R5C. Forerunner of the RD350. Two stroke, two cylinder; too light and too fast. I knew nothing of motorcycles; I bought it for $150 from an older Polish immigrant who told me he had bought it for his son. His son didn't ride it much and outgrew it. I remember his closing words as we sealed the deal...in halting, accented English, he smiled and said "Good business makes...good friends." Then, true to those words, he proceeded to let me learn he had ripped me off.

The machine had cooling issues. Started cold, fine, but was heavily carboned up. Being bolder in those years than I am now, I popped the cylinder head off (no need to lift the gas tank) and using a butterknife, took the carbon off. And scoured the heads. I was used to working with a Gravely Tractor - a crude contraption that couldn't be killed. I had the head off that Gravely motor a dozen times. But aluminum engines were a new thing to me.

So, in addition to the heat, I started to get pinging from the hot spots the raised aluminum scores created.

Now, the oil injection was nice and fascinating and to me, having worked with outboards, a great progression over mixing gas. BUT...the throttle linkage was a bit Smokey-Stover. The throttle cable branched into a Y; and then, instead of throttle-plate butterflies, there were SLIDERS. Tied in there somewhere, was another cable going to the oil-injection system.

And this was a 1972 model. There WERE no two-cable throttles required in those years. You could twist the throttle back all day, and if the return spring failed...you had grief.

And of course, with time, that was what happened. Throttle sliders stuck...wide open. Did I mention there was no kill switch on that thing, year 1972? After nearly soiling my pants and coming close to killing myself, I got the key turned and everything stopped....futzed with the throttle a second, and it came back like nothing happened. Cute.

Happened three times more; and while experience offers some preparedness, it was still disconcerting, distracting and dangerous. And took the joy from riding. A new throttle-cable assembly would set me back $125 and a long wait to ship - and no guarantee that would solve the problem (it could have been the sliders; I couldn't FIND the issue with the engine shut down and cold).

I sold it for $75 and was glad to be rid of it. Great machine but too old, too worn; to expensive to get the parts for.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
No more " If you can start it you can ride it". Next thing you know there will be electric start chain saws.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts