TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a long dry spell of exploring on the TW I was finally able to get out for a few hours last Saturday. There's a nice scenic road at the base of the Pine Valley mountains that I like to ride occasionally, so I decided to give it a shot. The weather forecast called for thunderstorms, but when I checked Saturday morning it was down to about a 30% chance. So, using Admiral's logic I calculated that to be a 70% chance that it wouldn't rain. I decided to ride the road from west to east, that way once on the road I would be headed for home.

I rode backroads towards St. George. The green you can see at the base of the redrock is "The Cove" where I used to ride my Honda 50 as a kid.

The Pine Valley Mountains, where I'm headed.

On the way I passed this old tunnel. I remember when this was a major road into St. George. Now it's been condemned, and just being used for storage. How things change.

On the way up I passed the site of the old turkey farm where I spent many an evening herding turkeys in my younger days. It wasn't much fun as jobs go, but paid well.

The old turkey farm is now part of a desert reserve - reserved for the desert tortoises and their guests. There are hiking trails on the desert reserve, but no motorized vehicles are allowed here. This gate is to keep the tortoises in, and the likes of Tony out!:D

Like Admiral's stomping grounds there has been plenty of volcanic activity in this area. You can also see a storm is building.

Headin' on up, to the east side!

Finally made it into the PJ's (Pines/Junipers).

Manzanita are one of my favorite plants. I love the beautiful red branches. These are looking a little stressed, though. Normally the leaves are darker green in color.

As I travelled east it became evident the building storm was travelling the same direction as me, and about the same speed. I hoped to stay at the leading edge of the storm, if not outrun it.

It was a pleasant ride, in spite of the storm.

More to come.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
No stream crossing for me here! This is Cottonwood Creek.

We've had some heavy rainfall recently, with some flooding. It took a pretty good torrent to move this rock. It was probably a combination of erosion and hydraulic pressure that did the trick.

Different drainage.

Seems like this one should've been called Cottonwood Creek. That's a pretty good sized Cottonwood!

This is a favorite area for rapelling and canyoneering. It used to be a good area for mountain lions, but despite the roughness this road is well travelled now and I doubt there are any cats near the road.

The storm is catching up!

Shortly thereafter it started to rain. I stopped and put my rain gear on. As soon as I had it on, it stopped raining!

On down the road it started raining again, with a little hail mixed in. There was plenty of thunder and lightning as well. Fortunately, nothing too close.

As I rode east down off the mountain the storm continued to the northeast, and I rode out of the storm. Since I was in the vicinity of Silver Reef I decided to look around some. Some old mining stuff.

Remains of the Barbee & Walker mill.

I visited the pioneer cemeteries. There were three, one for Catholics, one for Protestants, and one for the Chinese.

There were some graves marked "Unknown".

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is one of the best posts I have ever read anywhere. I know we have similar areas to explore here in California, but this post makes me want to saddle up and head for Utah.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

These grave markers had no writing at all on them.

I couldn't locate the Chinese cemetary. The story goes that one of the Chinese miners left Silver Reef and hit the big time in San Francisco. Since it was then considered a disgrace to be buried on foreign soil, this Chinese man returned to Silver Reef, had all of the Chinese bodies exhumed and returned to China.

At the neighboring community of Leeds I stopped at the site of an old CCC camp.

I located the site where the above picture was taken, and took a modern day version. Unfortunately, there are so many trees now that it's hard to see where the camp existed. If you look closely, however, you will see one of the remaining building on the hill to the left.

An old mine dump west of Leeds.

A restored pioneer building in the nearby "Ghost Town" of Harrisburg.

Before restoration.

After.

An unrestored building in Harrisburg. Both of these building are easily seen from I-15.

From Harrisburg I rode around Quail Creek Reservoir. I didn't grab a picture, but noticed the boaters were out taking advantage of the last days of summer. The rest of the ride home was pretty uneventful. I hope you enjoyed the ride, I did.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is one of the best posts I have ever read anywhere. I know we have similar areas to explore here in California, but this post makes me want to saddle up and head for Utah.
I'm glad you're enjoying the report. Thanks for the kind words.

·
Registered
976 Posts
As usual, a fantastic RR B-dub.

I always enjoy the way you highlight historical sights, but the photo that really stuck with me from this trip is the one of that massive boulder that shifted a few feet into the creek bed.

Makes me imagine how long that great hunk of rock sat in one place, only to suddenly tumble a tad bit closer to the inevitable geological destiny awaiting it downstream. Seeing little shifts like that in the fate of a single boulder have a way of dropping my jaw and opening my mind to the nearly inconceivable time scales of the processes that have and continue to shape the deserts and mountains around us.

Thank you again for taking us along on one of your great rides.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
B-dub, Great report on a fun looking solo ride. It makes me want to get out on my T-dub more often. Thanks for sharing.

Joe

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As usual, a fantastic RR B-dub.

I always enjoy the way you highlight historical sights, but the photo that really stuck with me from this trip is the one of that massive boulder that shifted a few feet into the creek bed.

Makes me imagine how long that great hunk of rock sat in one place, only to suddenly tumble a tad bit closer to the inevitable geological destiny awaiting it downstream. Seeing little shifts like that in the fate of a single boulder have a way of dropping my jaw and opening my mind to the nearly inconceivable time scales of the processes that have and continue to shape the deserts and mountains around us.

Thank you again for taking us along on one of your great rides.
Thanks, glad you liked it. Yes, the forces of nature are definitely something to be reckoned with.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
B-dub, Great report on a fun looking solo ride. It makes me want to get out on my T-dub more often. Thanks for sharing.

Joe
Thanks, Joe. If my report makes you want to get out more often, then I've been successful! I feel the same way after viewing you guys' reports. Looking forward to Part 3! I wish I could ride it with you! Some day.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
B-dub,

GREAT photography and interesting places. I love looking for old abandoned historical sites. Looks like you have a mother lode of them there.

The abandoned tunnel turned storage is very intriguing.

The CCC left quite a few projects that can still be found in Oregon as well. The old stonework is cool - especially considering I doubt we will ever see quality and aesthetics like that in public works again.

You have some especially good bike pictures in there too.

Thanks for taking me on a tour.

·
Registered
13,343 Posts
As you well know, sometimes my logic is flawed. Good thing you brought the rain gear:D. The Turkey gate was definitely not Tony friendly:p

I don't know what it is, but I love finding old man made structures which have been put out of use. I even like to ride the old highways that are accessible, which are now obsolete and have been replaced my modern highways nearby. This type of stuff is neat forsure!

Seeing the before and after photo's of the old CCC camp is so neat. I love to compare things like this. Of course I love the old ghost towns and mine, but I do also appreciate the "PJ's". :D Thanks so much for this ride report and glad you got out.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
my first bike was a honda 50, lots of good memories on that bike too. what a beautiful area your part of the world is, always more to explore.

ride on!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Thanks for the report, so many places and things this little TW will take you to see!! so many rides, so little time!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
B-dub,

GREAT photography and interesting places. I love looking for old abandoned historical sites. Looks like you have a mother lode of them there.

The abandoned tunnel turned storage is very intriguing.

The CCC left quite a few projects that can still be found in Oregon as well. The old stonework is cool - especially considering I doubt we will ever see quality and aesthetics like that in public works again.

You have some especially good bike pictures in there too.

Thanks for taking me on a tour.
It was my pleasure, glad you liked it. I think we have a lot in common as I'm just plum tickled if I can enjoy riding my TW and see some cool historical stuff as well.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As you well know, sometimes my logic is flawed. Good thing you brought the rain gear:D.
I don't know what it is, but I love finding old man made structures which have been put out of use. I even like to ride the old highways that are accessible, which are now obsolete and have been replaced my modern highways nearby.
Seeing the before and after photo's of the old CCC camp is so neat. I love to compare things like this.
Actually, your logic was good because for well over 70% of the time I was not being rained on! Even if it did rain more - well, that's just the spice of life, right? I also like to ride old highways, railroad grades, etc. I can't really say for sure why, but I do! I'm glad you enjoyed the report.

my first bike was a honda 50, lots of good memories on that bike too. what a beautiful area your part of the world is, always more to explore.

ride on!
I could say the same about your part of the world, and yes I'm thankful that I have the ability to get out and explore it both in person and through the ride reports you and others have shared. When I got my Honda 50 it was a basket case. The PO had torn the engine apart to replace a burned valve. That was my first experience working on motorcycles. It's a good thing the small Hondas are so easy to work on.

Thanks for the report, so many places and things this little TW will take you to see!! so many rides, so little time!
Yes, the TW is my freedom machine. Not only is it fun to ride, but because it's so inexpensive to own and operate I'm able to go places I couldn't afford to otherwise. I wish I had more time to ride, but on the other hand it's always good to have something to look forward to. It was my pleasure to share my ride with you and the others.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi B-dub,

A great / awesome ride report.
I've taken my brother through the Silver Reef town to show him some of the high price houses there.

It looks like you have a different rear tire on there, ?

Thanks for the RR,
VDR

·
Registered
236 Posts
Very much enjoyed the report! Such great scenery.

This makes me want to go on a similar adventure. I've always heard there's a desert in eastern Ontario. Might have to make a trip out there before the years over.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi B-dub,

A great / awesome ride report.
I've taken my brother through the Silver Reef town to show him some of the high price houses there.

It looks like you have a different rear tire on there, ?

Thanks for the RR,
VDR
Hey Mark, how's it goin? The next time you're through there hit the museum located in the Wells Fargo building. It's pretty interesting if you like history. I'm still running the same old Ceros, now with over 6,000 miles on it. It looks like I could get that much more out of it. Thanks for your kind comments.

Very much enjoyed the report! Such great scenery.

This makes me want to go on a similar adventure. I've always heard there's a desert in eastern Ontario. Might have to make a trip out there before the years over.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
Thanks, but this doesn't hold a candle to your recent adventure! I'm still totally amazed at the distance and the beauty of the area you rode through. What a remarkable experience! On the other hand, yes - I would like to see what it's like in eastern Ontario, and hope you can get out and about in your area before the snow flies.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts