TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you know when the ambient outside air temperature is taken it is 3 feet above the ground in the shade. At 3 PM the outside temp was 118* in the shade. so I took the temp of the cement, asphalt, and my white truck. why? because I am retired.
19417535_10211511076124614_582656149018651692_o.jpg 19264384_10211511075644602_3000314400447403000_o.jpg 19250398_10211511074084563_4063645312282266460_o.jpg

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Get the hell out of there! Damn Paul, money in the bank, pension, gorgeous truck and camper and no anchor tied to your rear. I would be on the road heading east and meeting all your friends from here while the heat is on in AZ. I heard the area around Hampton, VA is pretty nice this time of year and you could take LuvNot out for lunch when you get there and then go ride the TWs through some very different non desert terrain. There are a bunch of us here on the right coast and the best weather of the entire year is just arriving.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Heading out to AZ. in about a month to settle my daughter into her 2nd year at ASU in Tempe. Really hope the heat-wave that is affecting a lot of the southwest is over by then.
Last year while I was there the worst it got was 110. The temps I'm seeing now make that seem ridiculously cool.

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
New white Tundra makes more sense in Arizona than the previous red Tacoma. Of course you could probably cook a nutritious breakfast on the hood of the older truck. Egg car bonnet.jpg
Zdiver sure thrives in warm Arizona.

I, on the other hand, am delaying my Arizona trip until this happens: images.jpeg

·
Registered
425 Posts
Get the hell out of there! Damn Paul, money in the bank, pension, gorgeous truck and camper and no anchor tied to your rear. I would be on the road heading east and meeting all your friends from here while the heat is on in AZ. I heard the area around Hampton, VA is pretty nice this time of year and you could take LuvNot out for lunch when you get there and then go ride the TWs through some very different non desert terrain. There are a bunch of us here on the right coast and the best weather of the entire year is just arriving.

GaryL
Gary,

I live 30 miles north of Hampton VA, and lemme tell you it SUCKS! From Mid May - Mid September you are lucky to get one nice day per week. By nice, I'm referring to a temperature below 85 and a dew point below 60. It's almost always 90-95F with a 70-75 degree dew point which is miserable, even when it drops into the 70s near dark and in the morning.

The mountains on the other hand, are beautiful. We have a property at 2115 feet near Staunton/harrisonburg and a typical summer day is 75-80F with a 50-60 degree dew point. It's in the valley, which has some crazy temperature shifts. It can be a high of 80, go down to 45 by morning and be back up to 80 the next day. Hottest I've ever seen is 85F.

If you go above 4,000 feet, it's basically always below 75, even during a 95 degree heat wave on the ground. Just yesterday we had a high temp of 57F at 4,500 feet which is cold with the wind!

·
Registered
88 Posts
We're back down to about 100 for daytime highs in Kingman. IMO, feels better than 80 in TN especially when that 80 is coupled with a 77 degree dewpoint. You simply CANNOT breathe, and the evaporative cooling effect of perspiration DOES NOT EXIST.
Signed,
Another Happy AZ Retiree :cool::D:p

Edit to add current conditions:
98 F
6% relative humidity
18 F dewpoint!!!!! :D

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I had to light my fireplace last night to take the chill out of the house. It was 51 when I got up this morning :icon_rendeer:
49 Monday night, worked a baseball game in the drizzle and 56 degrees....68 yesterday sunny with a breeze, no humidity to speak of, and today it warmed up to 79 but the winds helped to keep the humidity down....I doubt if the next 2 months+ will be this nice in West Central Ohio, but I ain't bitchin'....I am not looking forward to winter...Hell, it just ended!:toothy5:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
after 48 years of Seattles gray and raining (and alt left etremism) Arizona is Heaven on earth to me! "Only" 100 today seems chilly compared to last week I guess I'm getting used to it lol

114 miles north of me (Peoria) is Flagstaff where it was a perfect 84 degrees when it was 116 here in the Valley, Payson is an easy 1 hour drive and is usually 20 degrees cooler than Phoenix and home to the friendliest people I've ever seen

I love to travel but I could spend every day in Arizona and never complain

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
after 48 years of Seattles gray and raining (and alt left etremism) Arizona is Heaven on earth to me! "Only" 100 today seems chilly compared to last week I guess I'm getting used to it lol

114 miles north of me (Peoria) is Flagstaff where it was a perfect 84 degrees when it was 116 here in the Valley, Payson is an easy 1 hour drive and is usually 20 degrees cooler than Phoenix and home to the friendliest people I've ever seen

I love to travel but I could spend every day in Arizona and never complain

Never could figure out why anybody would live in Seattle {or Portland for that matter}, if the weather didn't suck bad enough, why the Hell would anybody with a brain, live with those left wing extreme loons? :glasses9:

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Never could figure out why anybody would live in Seattle {or Portland for that matter}, if the weather didn't suck bad enough, why the Hell would anybody with a brain, live with those left wing extreme loons? :glasses9:
I hear what you are saying Hoot but this begs for an answer, Why do any of us live where we live, weather wise? I watch the US weather map every day and there is something negative to be said about every state in this union. Here in my NY Catskills I get 7 months of crap with a few months of decent weather. Out in Ohio you get very similar stuff but can also have tornadoes and sweltering heat waves. Admiral and some others out west have to deal with all sorts of crap plus wild fires while those along the east and south west coasts have to deal with humidity and hurricanes. AZ is hot as hell a lot and the north west coast is rain all the time. In the middle it is flatter than my first GF. Everyone says and I did witness San Diego has the absolute best weather just about year round. Nice for sure as long as you can speak a little Spanish and don't mind having to climb over masses of people to go anywhere and can afford the cost of living and outrageous taxes. I could start packing today to get the hell away from this communist state of NY but what I can't figure out is where to go. Florida IMO is nothing short of NY #2 but way too hot. Maine is gorgeous but way too cold and the states between can surely be classified as some other negative. KY/WV where I once lived had some very nice weather but it also had some very strange customs and people. We all seem to live where we live because we learned to deal with it.

GaryL

·
Registered
88 Posts
For the most part people hang where they are because they have jobs and families to support. Gotta do what ya gotta do.

Great thing about AZ is it's NOT just hot desert. Just pick your altitude! Heck, over half the state is considered the "high country." We chose Kingman because at 3500 feet it's typically 7-10 degrees cooler than Phoenix valley, and 12-15 cooler than Lake Havasu and Yuma. It's warm enough to not get much, if any snow in winter. For that, we only have to drive 10 miles up the road to Hualapai Mountains and see all the snow we want. Turn around when it gets too deep. Best of all worlds, IMO. And 200 miles closer to the beach than we were in TN. :cool:

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
For the most part people hang where they are because they have jobs and families to support. Gotta do what ya gotta do.

Great thing about AZ is it's NOT just hot desert. Just pick your altitude! Heck, over half the state is considered the "high country." We chose Kingman because at 3500 feet it's typically 7-10 degrees cooler than Phoenix valley, and 12-15 cooler than Lake Havasu and Yuma. It's warm enough to not get much, if any snow in winter. For that, we only have to drive 10 miles up the road to Hualapai Mountains and see all the snow we want. Turn around when it gets too deep. Best of all worlds, IMO. And 200 miles closer to the beach than we were in TN. :cool:
Like Show Low, AZ, on the times I have been there, the weather seems pretty good, most of the time....a bit pricy and a bit left, but as you and Gary say...you gotta live where the money, family, friends, are....I can stand Ohio, as long as the Winters aren't to long or cold, the Summers aren't to humid, and the spring rains aren't to heavy....of course those always happen, so we gut it out and dream of a better climate...How about 4 months in South Texas, 2 months in South West Florida, 2 months in the "Yooper" and 4 months traveling.... :p

·
Registered
88 Posts
Like Show Low, AZ, on the times I have been there, the weather seems pretty good, most of the time....a bit pricy and a bit left...
You want right, come to Mohave County. :D Good cost of living, too. Better shut up about it, best kept secret in AZ and we don't want it overrun by refugees from SoCal...which is already happening too much I'm afraid!

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
You want right, come to Mohave County. :D Good cost of living, too. Better shut up about it, best kept secret in AZ and we don't want it overrun by refugees from SoCal...which is already happening too much I'm afraid!
You just said a mouthful here! Once the masses find out about a good place to live they move, bring their family and then want to turn it in to the same shit hole they just left. Remember that old saying, When in Rome do as the Romans do? Nope, never gonna happen and you can be sure the newcomers will bring their BS politics with them.

GaryL

·
Registered
928 Posts
The Hamptonroads area isn't too terrible as long as the humidity stays down. Right now it's been relatively beautiful with mild temperature and mild humidity. Yesterday was damn-near perfect - upper 70's to almost 80 and almost no humidity!
But beware the hot, humid season - which seems to come later and later each year. It's June. Should be in the 90s already. But we won't get that until July and it will last through to damn near October. February and March are our super cold months. Overall, this area is relatively protected weather-wise. But still... I'm ready to experience another area and different climate. One day.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
You are wrong San Diego's weather is the worst plus we have earthquakes, wild fires and its hard to find good Mexican food here. The secrets long been out about Prescott, Payson and Showlow. I thought of getting a place in chrystal whacked mistical Sedona to escape our terrible winters but it is too far from the ocean for me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts